Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:13:43 AM
714567 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dragon Dynasty Discs? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dragon Dynasty Discs?  (Read 3379 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: July 06, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had picked up those recent Dragon Dynasty discs?  I'm curious as they are releasing a 2 disc special edition of Hard Boiled.  I already have the Long Shong uncut import and the Mei Ah version, but a good quality American release would be nice.

Anyone have any info on the company?  Anyone know the quality of their DVDs?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pilgermann

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:03:42 PM »

I've read a few reviews over at www.dvdbeaver.com and they've given them a lot of praise.  They seem to have very good transfers and a good assortment of extras.  Since I've never really seen many kung-fu flicks I'd like to pick some up sometime.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »

Thanks Pilgermann.  After looking around for a bit, it seems that Dragon Dynasty is an offshoot of the Weinstein Company.  I hope that's not a bad thing for the films as the Weinsteins are infamous when it comes to cutting Asian films for the American market.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »

Thanks Pilgermann.  After looking around for a bit, it seems that Dragon Dynasty is an offshoot of the Weinstein Company.  I hope that's not a bad thing for the films as the Weinsteins are infamous when it comes to cutting Asian films for the American market.

No, the Weinsteins have finally turned it around when it comes to foreign releases.  I own a number of the Dragon Dynasty releases.  Universally, the transfers are excellent and there aren't any cuts or soundtrack modifications.  In fact, if memory serves, they usually include both the original mono soundtracks and remixes (which is a plus, because in old school kung fu films the remixes often stink).  Some of the extras are very nice - Shanghai Express (AKA Millionaire Express) has some very good interviews on it, for example.  And Above the Law (AKA Righting Wrongs) has interviews, plus the VERY different Mandarin ending - though the film wasn't quite as good as I'd heard.

Just remember to buy them from a place other than Borders/Suncoast if you buy them at a brick and mortar store.  They should retail for about $15.  The newer ones come with a $3 off future purchases coupon, which is nice.

Oh, and if you like old school stuff, I HIGHLY recommend The One-Armed Swordsman (well, assuming you haven't seen it).  I've had it for quite a while, but the older Celestial release has a conversion error which results in bad interlacing effects.  Anyway, it is one of the best martial arts films (swordplay in this case) films made, well-deserving its reputation.  Perhaps most astonishing, it actually has a solid storyline, some pretty good acting, character development, and visual composition.  In addition, it is one of the films which started the ultra bloody swordplay film as a genre convention in Hong Kong.  I don't know why, but it isn't very well-known in the west compared to many other older martial arts films.  The Dragon Dynasty release is very, very good.

Hopefully, they'll release Return of the One-Armed Swordsman soon.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »

I'm very interested in their 2 disc edition of Hard Boiled as I've had the old Fox/Lorber DVD for quite some time and the picture quality on it is pretty bad at times.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dragon Dynasty Discs? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.