Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:31 PM
714447 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Oh no, he's back....and a punch up in the theatre!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oh no, he's back....and a punch up in the theatre!!  (Read 6874 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 19, 2007, 01:38:04 AM »

NEWSFLASH!!! I just heard that the managers of the cinema where I did my screenings in Bloemfontein were involved in a punch up with two clients who complained about the lack of seasoning on the popcorn.  Buggedout

Thankfully I was well away from there when this happened on Saturday 21 July, otherwise I probably would have been blamed.  TongueOut

Smile Hi there, everybody.  Wink

Yes, it is I, returned from the magnificent wasteland we call Bloemfontein. After spending two weeks in that fun town where they roll up the sidewalks at 13h00 on a Saturday, I am back in Pretoria where they roll up the sidewalks at 13h05 on a Saturday.  TeddyR Not even the pizza is up to much in Bloemfontein.  Twirling

The screenings went well ~ I had to deal with a cinema manager who had his panties in a bunch over the quality of the films (most of our print collection is composed of ex cinema rental prints, not much new). After a few hours of this,  I told him that I had had enough of his crap and took over the screenings myself, projecting the prints myself and talking to the attendees at every screening, inviting questions, comments and insults.  Buggedout

The only complaint I had was when I described Die Kandidaat as a caricature of the feared Afrikaner Broerderbond [Afrikaner Brotherhood] who were very powerful in the 1960's to 1980's and pulled the strings of government. I was told that I should not make fun of such a society and should be mindful of what I say in Bloemfontein. My only reply was that an attendee had asked me what the film was about and I had replied honestly.

Other than that, all went well, glad to be back.  TeddyR

BTW, Cheezeflix, I was thinking about your comment about the native bearers and the crocodile infested river when I crossed the Vaal River into the Orange Free State. That is a river that you do not want to take a swim in, precisely because of the crocs / alligators.  TeddyR

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:30:10 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:37:17 AM »

Welcome back!   Smile
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:34:36 AM »

Thanks, Ash: karma for you.  Smile

No karma for the pizza I had there............yuck.  Buggedout

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:55:42 AM »

And 1 karma to you!   Smile
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:57:47 AM by Ash » Logged
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:31:59 AM »

Welcome back Trevor.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:35:06 AM by Scott » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:47:58 AM »

Hello! When you say Orange Free State...does that mean that oranges are free,as in no charge? Or that Oranges are not enslaved...free to roam the wilds? Or as in 'no oranges"...like caffine free coffee is "caffine free"...? A strange and wonderous land you inhabit...with free range oranges,galloping in mighty herds.... Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:21:24 AM »

BounceGiggle Hi RC.

That name comes from the old Boer Republic days, when the Boers fled the Cape Province and the domination of the British. They crossed the Orange River and named the county the Orange Free State.

These days, we say in the Orange Free State that there are no oranges, nothing is free and the place is in a hell of a state.  Buggedout

RC and Scott, karma for you, thanks. Where's Dr Menard, I owe him some too.  TeddyR
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:27:19 AM by Trevor » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 01:46:34 PM »

BTW, Cheezeflix, I was thinking about your comment about the native bearers and the crocodile infested river when I crossed the Vaal River into the Orange Free State. That is a river that you do not want to take a swim in, precisely because of the crocs / alligators.  TeddyR

Welcome back! Happy you had a safe and adventurous trip ...

Glad to provide a visual for you too, been a long time since I've been in South Africa, but I do recall so of the wildlife I saw on some outings. Yes it would be Crocodiles as Alligator are only in the southern United States I believe. I wouldn't mind returning some day.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »

Welcome back, Trevor.  Glad your screenings went well, and sounds like you handled potential dynamite with tact and integrity.  Karma  Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »

Glad you made back across the river intact.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »

TeddyR Thanks, trek and AllHallows: karma for each of you on this chilly Pretoria morning, it is 06h43 right now. Brass monkeys, as Colin Farrell would say.

Trek, something for you: I found copies of Star Trek VI and Star Trek Nemesis at a pawn shop in Bloemfontein which the proprietor assured me were mint copies. These films are not available locally on DVD so I believed the man and bought them without looking at the tapes first.

Three days later, I got home and checked the tapes: Nemesis was indeed a mint copy, but some idiot had taped Star Trek VI over with a TV broadcast of Godzilla, the Roland Emmerich version.  Buggedout That will teach me to 'buy blind'.

dean

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 02:13:11 AM »

You guys sure do take your popcorn seriously in South Africa...  Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 05:32:04 AM »

BounceGiggle That was a good one Dean, karma for you.  Thumbup

That wasn't the end of the story: after that mishap, the local paper there is full of stories of how that cinema has gone down and how the prints are badly projected, the sound bad, etc. The manager (who helped and hindered me) was quoted as saying that "Bloemfontein is full of white trash"!

Huh? White trash? Where? I had left already!  Buggedout

Strange, there were no hassles when I was there for that period of time: maybe they should appoint me there full time?  TeddyR
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:38:14 AM by Trevor » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Oh no, he's back....and a punch up in the theatre!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.