Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:35 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY MOVIES THAT YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY MOVIES THAT YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH?  (Read 4007 times)
mrgb46
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »

For me,it all depends on the price and the quality..I purchased STAR CRASH just on the reviews alone from this website and was pleased with it! You can't go wrong with Caroline Munro,right?? I have to read about a bad movie or an obscure movie,the reviews of it and so on before I even buy it...I remember I bought MESA OF LOST WOMEN because I love bad movies,but after the first viewing,I thought,"There's no way I could watch this again and still enjoy it!" I've seen "Plan 9" many times and still enjoy it,but there are some bad movies that get on my nerves and want to wipe it away from my conscious!                                                                                                                                                   There's one movie called "Thriller:They Call Her One Eye" and I've heard some mixed reviews about it,but I'd rather rent it first and then decide if I want to buy it later.I believe I've gone through 10 movies or so over the last 5 years that I thought I wanted,but watched them again and decided,What was I thinking???
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 05:54:06 PM »

There's one movie called "Thriller:They Call Her One Eye" and I've heard some mixed reviews about it,but I'd rather rent it first and then decide if I want to buy it later.I believe I've gone through 10 movies or so over the last 5 years that I thought I wanted,but watched them again and decided,What was I thinking???
Oddly, I actually bought Thriller when it was released by Synapse.  I bought the first version, A Cruel Picture, based partially on a whim.  I'm so familiar with cult/b-movies these days that it's hard for me to find something I know nothing about.  I'd heard some things about Thriller in the past, too, and it sounded like something I needed to see.  There's a blurb from Tarantino that calls it the roughest revenge movie ever made.  That also played a part in me buying it.  He and I share similar opinions of exploitation and I'd call that a hell of a claim coming from him.  Unfortunately, there's probably more to that quote that lists a few exceptions because I can think of dozens of rougher revenge movies than that one.  It has nothing on I Spit On Your Grave.  I'd even say Old Boy was rougher.

That doesn't mean it's bad, though.  It moves slowly, but it has this Peckinpah presentation to the violence which happens in super slow mo every time and Christina Lindberg is bad ass (as well as hot as hell) in those fight scenes.

It's a rarity that I'll just spring for something, though.  Usually I've read up on something before I buy it.  I bought Darkness: The Vampire version based solely on the Rue Morgue page about it in one their issues last year that featured some great gore makeup.  There's a reason I never got into that early 90's Bookwalter no-budget wave of horror and Darkness was one of them.  While it wasn't a total bust, it didn't change my opinion of microbudget fan horror.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 02:49:13 AM »

Short answer:  All the bloody time.

I'll often either buy something on reputation [oh that film I read a review on is here cheap] or by an interesting director/actor or has a catchy cover/premise.  Not often am I disappointed, but the occasional 'not good' moment slips through.

Three of the last 'unfamiliar' purchases: Broken Saints, a web-animation in the style of a comic which one some award at Cannes.  It's quite interesting in premise and has a story I enjoy, but it can be hard to watch at times, just because of the style.

Electroma: The Daft Punk movie that has no dialogue in it.  Very odd film, but I enjoyed it.  About a pair of robots who want to be human.

Immortal: The idea of Horus the ancient god flying being banished, but having one last chance to visit humanity was a good one.  Add to the fact that he visits Earth in the future, so there's alot of sci fi elements in it, and you have me sold.  Sure the film is one big euphemism for rape [I reckon] but it's a film I quite enjoyed, since it mixes CGI characters in which adds to the oddness.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY MOVIES THAT YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.