Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:00:38 AM
714543 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7746 Members
Latest Member: Bluetoothicb
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chop Socky Cinema Hong Kong (2003) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chop Socky Cinema Hong Kong (2003)  (Read 1898 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: August 14, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »

Cinema Hong Kong: Kung Fu (2003) - This is a very good Documentary on the history of Kung Fu films from Hong Kong. They really cover all the periods of this genre and even how they filmed action sequences, angles, distances, reverse filming, trampolines, and wires. They also cover the topics of Chinese hero's and legends and fantasy along with interviewing all the top names in the field. This is another IFC production. Better in my opinion than the IFC Spaghetti West documentary probably because the genre is really hard to get a handle on and I knew more about the Spaghetti Western genre than the Kung Fu genre.

(8 out of 10 Stars) Very Good. Recommended Kung Fu viewing.

You can watch the whole thing on Youtube. Here is part 1 of 6.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8pIAR_rKqBo

Small | Large

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:33:41 AM by Scott » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »

something weird used to have two tapes of just kung fu trailers.  I saw both they were great
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »

Saw this doc when it first aired a few years ago, around the same time as Kill Bill.  There is a lot of great stuff in it.  Most of it was new to me and I'm a huge fan of kung fu flicks.

My favorite fact from the documentary is about the little red dangling things on the spears that you see used in quite a few kung fu flicks.  Apparently they were used to block the blood of the opponent from gathering on the spear and the person using the spear.  It's useless information but I found it quite interesting.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 06:50:12 PM »

Yes, this is a good documentary Skaboi. That blood thing was one of things I also remember from this one. Also the way they would shoot a scene from different directions and distances. Of course we know about these techniques, but they do it differently.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:39:54 PM by Scott » Logged

Jim H

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »

Saw this doc when it first aired a few years ago, around the same time as Kill Bill.  There is a lot of great stuff in it.  Most of it was new to me and I'm a huge fan of kung fu flicks.

My favorite fact from the documentary is about the little red dangling things on the spears that you see used in quite a few kung fu flicks.  Apparently they were used to block the blood of the opponent from gathering on the spear and the person using the spear.  It's useless information but I found it quite interesting.

The red tuft is supposed to also be helpful in gauging depth and distance.  I think they're mostly decorative though.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chop Socky Cinema Hong Kong (2003) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.