Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:38:13 PM
715190 Posts in 53126 Topics by 7755 Members
Latest Member: Independentbbz
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Blaxpliotation movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blaxpliotation movies  (Read 7489 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: August 17, 2007, 06:18:20 AM »

During the 70's blaxpliotaion movies were at there peak...at least as far as going balls out in weirdness and just plain wild. Some of my favorites are:
ABBY-(see other post)
.the MACK-Max Julien and buddy Richard  Pryor kick pimp ass!
.Avenging Disco Godfather- Almost indescibable...Rdy Ray Moore stars.
.COFFY!- YES! Pam Grier goes apes**t on dope dealers and just about anyone in her path to avenge her sister,who is in a mental ward from bad dope. Watch for the scene where Pam shotguns some poor suckers head clean off-twice! (via flashbacks! A gory mess-way before Dawn o the Dead did it! And Pamis ..well Pam!  Twirling
.Dr, Black and Mr. Hyde-WOW! Bernie Casey turns into a killer WHITE monster! He climbs up the Watts tower like King Kong! INSANE!!! I picked this one up at a flea market for $2.00!

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large
...I love the ryhme for this trailer!!!!  BounceGiggle

Anyway...which blaxpo movies are your favorites?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:38:30 PM »

Hm... Well, the only blaxploitation movie I've ever seen was Shaft.

The "Mushroom Samba" episode of Cowboy Bebop did feature a bunch stuff right out of a blaxploitation flick, though: guys with huge afros, a buxom black chick in a tight dress and a hot car, and a mellow fat drug dealer in dreadlocks who sells psychedelic mushrooms. It was a very funny episode.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »

I'm a big fan of Blaxploitation.  I'm not sure what it is about the genre, but I love it.  I guess it's the cheese factor and the kick ass protagonists that make the films so much fun.

Here are some of my personal favorites:

Brotherhood Of Death - Posted a review of this one a few months ago.  A group of black guys go to Vietnam and return to their southern town to find that it's being run by the KKK.  They decide to take what they learned in Vietnam and take down the racists.  Awesome film with a kick ass ending.  They also used real KKK propaganda throughout the film.  Billboards, etc.

Dolemite - Nothing needs to be said here.

The Slaughter Films - I happened upon the first Slaughter film at around 3 AM one morning.  Slaughter is an obvious rip off of Shaft, but each of the films is a lot of fun.  Jim Brown is awesome as the title character and I believe I might actually like these films better than Shaft.

Blacula - I always loved the Blacula films.  William Marshall is great as Blacula, and it's a fun spin on the classic story.  Haven't seen it these in a while....might have to pick them up on DVD.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:24:31 AM »

Not too fond of blaxplotation either, but "Accross 110th Street" is a fantastic films. The Shaft movies suck, IMHO, and the Pam Grier films are a mixed bag. Except "The Arena", that one is lots of fun.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:36:10 AM »

I'm a huge fan of blaxploitation.  Here is a list of the ones I have on DVD:

* SHAFT
* SHAFT'S BIG SCORE!
* SHAFT IN AFRICA
* SUPERFLY
* SLAUGHTER
* SLAUGHTER'S BIG RIP-OFF
* BLACULA
* SCREAM, BLACULA, ACREAM
* BLACKENSTEIN
* BLACK GUNN
* ACROSS 110TH STREET
* TRUCK TURNER
* BLACK GODFATHER
* DOLEMITE
* THE HUMAN TORNADO
* DISCO GODFATHER
* SWEET SWEETBACK'S BAD ASS SONG
* COFFY
* FRIDAY FOSTER
* BUCKTOWN
* FOXY BROWN
* THE MACK
* THAT MAN BOLT
* SHEBA, BABY
* BLACK MAMA, WHITE MAMA
* THE GUY FROM HARLEM
* BLACK FIST
* BLACK COBRA
* BLACK COBRA II
* BLACK COBRA III
* COTTON COMES TO HARLEM
* UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT
* LET'S DO IT AGAIN
* GANJA AND HESS
* ABBY
* BLACK HOOKER
* TROUBLE MAN
* HELL UP IN HARLEM
* BLACK CAESAR
* TNT JACKSON
And probably half a dozen more that I can't remember.  I really enjoy this stuff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:11:53 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:07:18 AM »

WOW!!! That's quite a list! I would love to find a copy of SUGAR HILL and her ZOMBIE HITMEN!

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

I really like TNT Jackson...cheezy kung Fu and all!

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:52:33 AM »

I love 'em all. Sweet sugar daddy.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 12:17:38 PM »

I can think of 2 that I would LOVE to get my hands on:

DR. BLACK AND MR. HYDE and TROUBLE MAN.

I wonder if they're on amazon or something....

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »

neville- some hip hop album I have, it might be cormega's  "the realness"  has a sample from "across 110th street"

"what are ya 40? 45 years old?  you were an errand boy before you married the boss's daughter and ya STILL an errand boy!!!"
Neville

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 02:01:59 PM »

That song still sounds fresh after so many years... Tarantino used it on "Jackie Brown", and I just heard it on the "American Gangster" trailer.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »

I can think of 2 that I would LOVE to get my hands on:

DR. BLACK AND MR. HYDE and TROUBLE MAN.

I wonder if they're on amazon or something....

TROUBLE MAN is definitely available because I just bought it a few weeks ago.  I got it from DeepDiscount.com

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »

Ha! I remember DR. BLACK AND MR. HYDE from Elvira's Movie Macabre, particularly her comment about the makeup:"It looks like the makeup guy told Bernie to stick his head in a sack of flour and blow!".

Our little hometown theater actually showed quite a few of these.  I particulary recall seeing the two BLACULA movies, and the SHAFT series.

BLACKENSTEIN has to be the worst of the lot. It breaks the cardinal rule of these films: it's boring! On the plus side there is that ridiculous makeup, and Liz Renay is in it. Men in the audience will appreciate how the monster always rips the ladies' blouses open before killing them.

Blaxploitation movies were so popular there was even a Italian/Spanish fake one: VOODOO BLACK EXORCIST. Imagine something along the lines of DR. BLACK AND MR. HYDE but with badly dubbed Italians. It's not so much a THE EXORCIST rip-off but more of a remake/blaxploitation version of THE MUMMY (1932)... but with lots of fake decapitated heads, breasts, and Italians in black-face.  The resurrected mummy even gets to appear on a Hatian talk show. There's a really scratchy, faded print included in the DRIVE-IN CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK.

For blaxploitation completist only!

Another personal favorite which I believe is actually due to released on DVD soon is THE HOUSE ON SKULL MOUNTAIN. It's an all-black version of Ten Little Indians (you really don't want to know what Agatha Christie's original title was) set in a gothic mansion on top of that skull-shaped mountain in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia(!!!). The original Lionel from The Jeffersons is in it. Victor French is the token white, but his character is supposed to be black, too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:32:15 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »

HEY! you know what i just realized? That guy in DR. BLACK MR HYDE is the same guy who played the teacher in BILL AND TED'S EXELLENT ADVENTURE!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »

I really like RR Moore, Black Belt Jones is really good too.

A local theater had Soul Cinema as a regular program for a few weeks, they showed Dr Black and Mr Hyde, Abby, and few others I missed. They also have some classsics as midnight movies, there's nothing cooler than going to see Black Belt Jones, or Dolomite at a midnight movie where the ticket price includes your 40oz  Cheers

Jim Kelly came to town a few years ago and did a Q&A before screenings of Blackbelt Jones and Enter the Dragon

Also the guy who made Penitentiary,  Jamaa Fanaka was in town recently for a screening of Welcome Home Brother Charles. He said he made it while in film school, its pretty slow and not very memorable but there is one scene that is completely out of no where that will surely mess you up.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »

Hey Raffine, thanks for mentioning Voodoo Black Exorcist.  Sounds like a terrible time. 

I bought that Drive-In Classics box about a year ago, and you guys are always giving me reason to break it out every few months.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Blaxpliotation movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.