Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:13:58 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  A.P.E.X. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A.P.E.X.  (Read 31240 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: August 17, 2007, 06:05:57 PM »

Time travel experiments cause a paradox timeline populated with killer robots.  One of the scientists involved becomes a soldier on the ruined world that results and tries to find a way to repair the damage to reality.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BTM

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »

Great review, I remember actually watching this movie years back.

Favorite lines:

>If someone could explain the benefits of going back in time via a metal robot that must avoid human contact because it will cause a plague, I would appreciate the help.

>The only reason that the infected woman was sent on the mission was to be a "flanker." Flankers are essentially an expendable resource and have the same life expectancy as a warrior with no battle honors in "Myth: The Fallen Lords."

HAHA, I remember playing that game!  Heck, tried to install it several months back but couldn't get the damn to work on Win XP.  (I know, I know, DosBox might do it, but I moved on to other things...)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

I watched this one about ten years ago, and Lord I hated it.  It was the first time I begrudged the IMDb's 1-10 rating scale; I wanted to give it a zero, dammit!

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:01 PM »

I watched this one about ten years ago, and Lord I hated it.  It was the first time I begrudged the IMDb's 1-10 rating scale; I wanted to give it a zero, dammit!

You do mean this film and not "Prototype X29A," right?  The robots are different, but the plot is very similar.  Not surprising if you look at the writer/director for both films.  Still, this one is much better than "Prototype X29A" if my memory is working correctly.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 08:39:15 AM »

No, I mean this one.  (Seen 'em both.) The inane fix-it-in-post voiceover that manages to bugger the narrative up even further, the "belligerence instead of characterization" script, the time travel "logic" that makes Back to the Future look like it sprang from the brain of Stephen Hawking... Ugh.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »

Time Travel.
Time travel stories make my shorts bunch up. Logical progression,cause and effect? Sorry, we can't handle that.
Intresting bot design,yeah. Everything else about this fell through a wormo hole on bizzaro world...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »

Another good one from Andrew. I don't want to cause him too much pain, but he really ought to watch more bad "bad" movies. It brings out the best in him.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »

Natasha: "You still didn't answer my question. Why did you call me your wife?"
Nicholas: "'Cause in another time you are my wife."

This, or a variation on it, would make a great pickup line in a bar.

"Hey, baby! You know, in an alternate time line you and me are sooo doin' it!"

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:54:19 PM »

Refreshing to see a movie on the front page that wasn't pimped out for weeks on the forum! And a two slimer, don't think I've seen that in a while! Wink BounceGiggle

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Cannon Fodder
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:28 AM »

I too remember watching A.P.E.X. many a moon ago but my strongest memory from watching is not off the movie itself, which pretty forgettable, but was of the reaction of my friend watching the movie with me. He hated the movie so much that as soon as it had finished he put the tape back in the box and proceeded to smash it apart with his bare hands. Okay, the movie was bad but it really must have got to him on some fundamental level to warrant that kind of reaction. The remnants of the case and tape were visible in the bin of my video watching dungeon for a few weeks before being covered in banana peel and Subway wrappers.

The tape was an ex-rental my friend had paid a couple of bucks for in case you're wondering.
Felicity
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:53:06 AM »

I own this movie (like Cannon Fodder, I also bought an ex-rental copy from the video store for two dollars). I thought it was OK, which coming from me is fairly high praise for any post-apocalyptic movie. For some reason I hate the main character (the scientist)’s haircut because it’s too 1991, but I like the main soldier’s bleached-blond flat-top even though it’s also very 1991. The copyright date on this movie is 1993, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was actually made in 1991 and only released in 1993.

In the review you ask why there’s an endless supply of APEX robots being sent into the alternate timeline. I got the vague impression from the movie that it’s just one robot that gets sent over and over. Now that I think about it again, though, I’m not sure.
Torque2100
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

I remember renting this from the post video rental when I was a teenager living on a US army post in Korea back in 1997.  This might just be the 14 year old me talking but I thought it was an alright movie.  The action sequences were entertainingly over the top, what with robots, people and walls exploding left and right, and the robot suits actually looked pretty cool. 

Yeah, the plot was kind of thin and the time travel logic made little sense.  I think they were trying to go for some kind of destiny theme or something, but it failed.

Still, I often wonder what happened to those robot suits.  Maybe they were destroyed after production or maybe they're sitting in someone's garage in California?  Who knows?
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:38:53 AM »

I don't care if the move was bad, the robot suits were AWESOME....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  A.P.E.X. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.