Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:20:33 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2094008 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5475 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

THE TALL MAN (2012): A decaying mining town blames a plague of child abductions on a legendary figure called "the Tall Man." Starts out as a formula horror movie, but an unexpected revelation in the middle of the film changes things completely; the twist itself is interesting, but unfortunately neither of the two very different movies on either side of it are anything special. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #5476 on: October 11, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »

HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940)

Showed this morning on ANTENNA THEATER, perhaps the best screwball comedy ever made.
I first saw this remake of THE FRONT PAGE in 1974, on WJW's LATE NITE MOVIE; they didn't even announce what film they were showing then. My brother Phil and I spent the next two hours falling out of our seats laughing.

Small | Large

They don't make 'em like this anymore.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5477 on: October 13, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: MIGHTY JACK: This story about Mighty Jack, which is either a crimefighting organization or a flying submarine or both, was edited together into a 90 minute movie from a 13 hour Japanese TV series. It makes no sense at all, not even a little bit. The lack of coherence doesn't really give Joel and the bots a lot to work with, resulting in a below-average to average episode. The host segments are pretty good, though, including the classic "Slow the Plot Down" closing song. 3/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5478 on: October 14, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »

Schlock-Tober continues with....

"American Horror House" (2012)

http://www.youtube.com/v/Wb9T8LUSNO8

In this none-too-subtle SyFy Channel rip-off of FX's "American Horror Story," a gang of ditzy sorority sisters move into an old off-campus house which, of course, has a horrific past. While the sisters plan their big annual Hallowen party, the new pledge class starts falling victim to the restless spirits which also call the house home. Former '80s hottie Morgan Fairchild (Where have you seen her lately?) is the creepy old housemother who knows more about the house's history than she's letting on.

In a nutshell: Don't expect the FX show's mix of creeping horror and artsy-fartsy pretentiousness. This flick is gory, stupid, and features lots of dumb sorority chicks dying in various horrible ways. In other words, it's perfect Schlock-tober entertainment!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5479 on: October 15, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »

THREE CROWNS OF THE SAILOR (1982): A sailor promises a student who has murdered his teacher a chance to sail away on a ship, but first he tells the story of his bizarre adventures sailing the seas on the cursed boat. Literary surrealism, a mixture of nonsense and mind games, with a sense of humor as dry and black as gunpowder. 4/5.

THIS IS NOT A MOVIE (2011): On the eve of the apocalypse a man checks into a Las Vegas hotel room where he converses with his alter egos, ghosts, and other mystical beings. It's hard to defend this movie against charges of pretension---the script seems like something a couple of sophomore English majors would come up with after a marathon session smoking some excellent sensi---but it is sincere, unpredictable, and not like much else out there. 2/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5480 on: October 15, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »

I would def give the Game the full 5/5 but that's just me
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5481 on: October 15, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »

I would def give the Game the full 5/5 but that's just me

I'm a harder grader than most people. I reserve 5/5s for a nearly perfect film, like top 5% of all movies ever made. 4/5 is a high score from me; my 4/5's could be 5/5's for someone who uses a more forgiving scale.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5482 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »

First Man Into Space (1959): Lt. Dan Prescott (Bill Edwards), a space pilot determined to become the first man into space perhaps takes too many chances and takes things a bit too far hoping to satisfy his potentially dangerous dream. To the dismay of his brother Commander Chuck Prescott (Marshall Thompson), Dan is selected to fly the latest Y-13 spacecraft. However Dan's recklessness seems destined to get him into trouble and sure enough Y-13 eventually ends up out of control and engulfed in a storm of meteorite dust. Shortly after the wreckage of Y-13 is found, reports of monstrous attacks by some mysterious blood sucking creature emerge. Might the two somehow be related?

This has some good moments here and there but is hampered somewhat by whether it wants to be more of a monster on the loose horror movie or a more straight science fiction tale. In the end, it's a mix of both although I personally feel it leans a bit more towards the sci-fi bent. Some may find this a little bit dull and be disappointed by the twist in direction towards the end but the acting isn't too bad. The monster makeup/mask however does seem to limit communication and the dubbing there doesn't quite fit as well as it should. Still I thought it was a fun little movie albeit perhaps a tad slow and perhaps a little too obvious with regards to what's really going on with the plot. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Gremlins (1984): Addled inventor Rand Peltzer (Hoyt Axton) in searching for a special unique Christmas gift for teenage son Billy (Zach Galligan) makes quite a find in Chinatown - a small and cute furry critter called a Mogwai. Billy's gift is nicknamed Gizmo. There's three rules one must follow in order to safely have a pet Mogwai and inevitably it seems they all get broken and Gremlins are unleashed upon an unsuspecting world.

This was a fun little movie but it cannot quite seem to make up its mind whether it wants to be horror or comedy so instead ends up being some kind of weird dark comedy horror family film. The Gremlins themselves are wild and energetic and at times quite startling and dare I say almost horrific. Also it's hard to feel sympathetic for a lot of the characters many of whom seem to get a well deserved comeuppance of some kind or another. Still an enjoyable movie albeit one I liked more back in my teen years than I do now. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Tales of Terror (1962): Three Edgar Allan Poe stories are adapted in this anthology film. The first story "Morella" and "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" are quite startling and horrific with some arguably exploitative horror twist sequences sure to shock and thrill not unlike one might find in some trashy horror comic book from the 60s or 70s. The second story "The Black Cat" which also seems to be the longest seems to be playing more for laughs and comedy and really more closely adapts "The Cask of Amontillado" and sees the frequently drunken Montresor Herringbone (Peter Lorre) seeks revenge when he learns his wine-tasting friend Fortunato Luchresi (Vincent Price) might have a thing for his wife Annabelle (Joyce Jameson). While amusing, it never quite fits in with the other two more grab and startle you horror tales at the beginning and end. Basil Rathbone and Leona Gage also certainly stand out in their respective roles. With a cast of old favourites, this still remains enjoyable for me personally. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

The Demon (1981): Following the abduction and possible murder of their teenage daughter, a desperate couple decide to hire an ex-Marine special investigator known for having ESP abilities - Col. Bill Carson (Cameron Mitchell). He soon has visions of a faceless hulking monster of a man stalking even more potential victims to terrorize.

This film is pretty much a ripoff of Halloween with some Black Christmas thrown in. For the most part, it's surprisingly dull but it does have some good moments here and there especially during its climax as the masked Demon hunts two girls, in various states of undress, throughout a large house. While in some ways ridiculous, it does manage to create some suspense during this final sequence. The rest of movie feels like a far less ineffectual slasher with a Micheal Myers-like character stalking victims as we watch the various romantic entanglements of those he's watching. Thrash but has some moments although Mitchell is basically in and out of this one in short order. **1/2 out of ***** stars.

Night of the Demon (1957): Classic British Horror thriller from the late 1950s has some great moments and is certainly a standout horror film from this era as scientist Dr. John Holden (Dana Andrews) trying to discredit a devilish cult leader named Julian Karswell (Niall MacGinnis) soon finds himself the target of a demonic curse which if he cannot get out of he might meet with an unspeakably horrific plight after three days.

This classic horror thriller works so well because it seems firmly set in the real world and wisely places a skeptic in the lead faced with something completely out of his realm of control and understanding. The only real flaw with this one is that the monster fails to be convincing on several occasions and we see perhaps a bit too much of it. Still it does deliver in memorable fashion in the end. A real classic of the era and arguably the best of the 1950s horror or at least it ranks high up there.  **** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:39:40 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5483 on: October 16, 2012, 08:03:25 AM »

Tobor the great - kid friendly 50's sci fi a la Robot Monster. it's not bad, but not on or near the same level as RM.  The kids name is Gdge because he likes Gadgets. "Sorry Gadge, this meeting is for the press not ...little kids" or whatever. He makes friends with the thing   3/5
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5484 on: October 17, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:30:36 PM by tracy » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5485 on: October 18, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »

"End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones"

Small | Large

One of my favorite "rock docs," detailing the highs and lows of the influential punk rock band's career through interviews and tons of killer archive footage.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5486 on: October 18, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (1969)
Small | Large

In George Lazenby's one and only turn as 007, James Bond travels from Italy to the Swiss Alps, where he romances a Countess (Diana Rigg) and uncovers a secret plot by the evil Blofeld (Telly Savalas) to sterilize the world via biological warfare.

This is the one and only film in the 007 series that I'd never seen. A lot of fans seem to hate it but I was actually impressed by it. Lazenby's performance as Bond was adequate (he had the self-assured smirk of Connery and can brawl with the best of 'em), Diana Rigg was purty, and though the film is a little longer than it really needs to be, the last hour is one cool action sequence after another.

Lazenby probably would've been a pretty decent Bond if he'd stuck with the role, however, legend has it that he declined to return thanks to some poor advice from his management, who advised him that the Bond character was "passe" once the swingin' 60s ended. Great career move there, George.

tracy

« Reply #5487 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »

I saw this film several days ago and I really didn't care for it at all. This young man is pushing drugs and decides to get out of it to "clean" up the neighborhood.....so he becomes a pimp instead. He supposedly starts out as a "good guy" pimp but the big cash and the lifestyle turns him into a rotten,self-absorbed jerk. He turns away an offer to come back from his former boss and the war starts. People start dying,including the guy's mother. Finally he simply hops on a Greyhound and runs away. This is Blacksploitation at it's worst,IMO. I think the makers wanted us to feel sorry for him,for no reason that I can fathom.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5488 on: October 20, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »

MST3K: GAMERA VS. ZIGRA: In the final Gamera installment an alien spaceship that can transform into a shark tries to take over the earth with the help of a hot assistant in a bikini. This is almost as weird as GAMERA VS. GUIRON but even more juvenile; Joel and the bots do host segments (making dioramas, etc) to match. Gamera plays his own theme song on the defeated Zigra's spine (that's not a skit, it's actually in the movie!) No great lines, but this is still the movie's craziness makes this the second best of the Gamera outings. 4/5.

tracy

« Reply #5489 on: October 20, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail....man,I never get tired of this movie!

Small | Large

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.