Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:14:22 AM
714465 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2114879 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6225 on: April 21, 2013, 06:39:45 AM »

The Frankenstein Theory (2013) - A documentary film crew accompanies the great-great-great-great grandson of Dr.Frankenstein to the Northwest Territories in Canada to search for the monster. It's a lost footage film, but made by the professional cameraman in the group so it's fairly well filmed. Nobody except Frankenstein Venkenhein takes the whole monster thing seriously, but it's a job and they're getting paid, so good enough. When Venkenhein eventually tells us his reasons for suspecting that the monster is still alive, it at least convinces us that there's something dangerous afoot.

I enjoyed this. The characters weren't fantastic but they had personalities and did a decent acting job. I really liked the sense of creepiness it created - they were way up in the snow covered wilderness, 50-60 km from the nearest person, with a guide who made everybody uncomfortable. The winter scenery which I usually think is beautiful took on a spooky air. They heard wolves howling in the distance the first night. The second night they stayed in some windowless old shack used by trappers, and heard what they thought was a bear growling very near the camp. And the third night..oh boy TeddyR  I thought it did a good job of building tension until the eventual payoff. The main character, the narrator for the documentary, was especially likable and sympathetic. And cute. 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6226 on: April 21, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »

I have been thinking about renting this one the last couple of weeks; I may watch it this week.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6227 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

Friday night I watched DEADBALL, a Japanese movie about . . . well, it's complicated. Basically, a young kid with a super fast nuclear powere flaming fastball pitch accidentally kills his Dad while they are playing catch.  He swears over his father's dying body never to play baseball again.  Next scene is 10 years later, same kid is a wanted vigilante who has just been captured by the police.  The governor of his province sends him to a juvenile prison and instructs him to play on the the "Juvie League" baseball team.  The prison warden is a Japanese female Nazi sympathizer, and the morning stew is actually vomit.  There are brutal body cavity searches, exploding baseballs, lots of killing, and a final battle with a giant evil robot with the face and brain of the hero's missing little brother.  Blood spouts in geysers, and there is a female Juvie baseball team of scantily clad homicidal maniacs.
Fairly straightforward and sensible for a Japanese B movie.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6228 on: April 21, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »

The Hanging Woman (1973)
Decent, if quite slow paced, Spanish zombie flick set in 18th century Scotland about a man who travels to a small village to claim an inheritance. He finds a hanging woman (obviously) in a cemetery but her death seems suspicious. He experiences strange omens and visions and encounters exhumed corpses which leads to the resurrection of the dead.
This movie might be a turnoff for those who like their zombie movies fast paced, but I rather enjoyed this one as it has a nice atmosphere (pretty bad dubbing job though). Paul Naschy has a minor role as a crazed gravedigger and chews up the scenery when onscreen. I give this one a solid  Thumbup.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6229 on: April 21, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

Mr. Magoo (1997): A visually impaired eccentric millionaire named Mr. Magoo (Leslie Nielsen) unexpectedly embarks on an James Bond-ish style adventure getting mixed up with a jewel heist gone wrong,  a deadly femme fatale, gangsters and the criminal underworld.

While falling quite a ways short of the original cartoon, this adaptation is nevertheless quite funny largely due to the presence of the one and only Leslie Nielsen who does his best despite seeming somewhat miscast in the leading role. This film's IMDB rating seems to suggest it's not that well liked. While it is silly and seems to apply cartoon laws to the real world, I feel it deserves a bit better than the 3.6 out of 10 rating it currently has over there. Nielsen is frequently hilarious and easily made me laugh on numerous occasions throughout. Also fun here are Kelly Lynch as the femme fatale/black widow catwoman-ish Luanne Le Seur who plays it pretty straight and Nick Chinlund as bumbling henchman Bob Morgan. Stephen Toblowosky  as FBI Agent Chuck Stupak is a hoot too. And Ernie Hudson basically plays his CIA foil. Also look for Jennifer Garner here in an early role and Malcolm McDowell as a criminal mastermind named Cloquet. Also Nielsen pulls a Sean Connery in more ways than one here appearing in a wedding dress before this one is said and done. This film, while not quite the cartoon original, is nevertheless very funny IMO and made me laugh quite a bit. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:02:54 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #6230 on: April 22, 2013, 12:33:47 AM »

The Fog (1980)

Mariners killed in a shipwreck 100 years ago return as vengeful ghosts surrounded by glowing fog - and the people of small coastal town Antonio Bay will have to face terror and death during preparations for their 21st April centennial celebration.
Classic John Carpenter spookiness starring Adrienne Barbeau as the town's radio DJ overlooking paranormal activities from her lighthouse. Jamie Lee Curtis co-stars as a hitchhiker shagging up with Tom Atkins, and Halloween victim Nancy Loomis plays Janet Leigh's assistant. 5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6231 on: April 22, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »

Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver (2011) - totally silly parody of Carrie with a bit of Silence of the Lambs at the beginning and Wayne's World at the end. Our pernicious pastry perpetrator goes back in time to 1976 and arrives at a roller skating rink, right in the middle of the big roller boogie queen competition. The shy girl is popular with the crowd, much to the chagrin of the popular girl. Our demonic doughy dude runs around killing people unnoticed (he's only a foot tall). This was mildly amusing I guess. The ending was beyond stupid but it's not like I cared. There were plenty of babes in sexy roller boogie outfits Smile I'll give it a not too crumby 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #6232 on: April 22, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »

Never seen any of those Gingerdead Man movies but I know lots of people who adore the series. I've seen the trailers but they never peaked my interest.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6233 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »

Sunday afternoon I watched A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT 2: Ghosts of Georgia

First of all, I will say that this is a pretty well-written and produced ghost story that is fun to watch and has some decent scares and a cool twist ending.

That being said, it had NOTHING! WHATSOEVER! TO! DO! WITH! THE! FIRST! MOVIE!!!
This has to be the most unrelated sequel of all time.  There are NO tie-ins whatsoever other than the title.  Why not just call it "A Haunting in Georgia"??  The stupidity of the attempt to tie it to the first film really  ruined an otherwise enjoyable movie for me.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6234 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »

Sabretooth (2002) - Sci-Fi Original type thing about a sabretooth cat genetically engineered by Vanessa Angel and funded by the always cheesy and always enjoyable John Rhys-Davies, that gets loose and starts munching on some campers in the local woods. David Keith plays a big game hunter who's called in to save the day. Silly fun, with enjoyable characters and terrible CGI. A favorite of mine. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6235 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »

HORROR EXPRESS (1972): An archeologist packs a frozen caveman head into a crate to ship it from China to Europe, but it comes to life and starts killing passengers on the trans-Siberian express. With Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Telly Savalas. This Hammer-style mix of Old World elegance and goofy-assed pseudoscience makes for a tolerable ride. The creature stores photographic images in his eyeball fluid (?) For bad movie fans, 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6236 on: April 24, 2013, 06:44:31 AM »

The Snow Devils (1967) - alien bigfoots want to take over the world.

^Eek!

First they want to melt the polar ice caps and flood the place, then freeze the planet to create a nice environment for themselves. It's up to our intrepid spaceman Rod Jackson to save the day. This is one of those ridiculous Italian things full of wonderful nonsense. From spacemen swinging on wires to bigfoots in green leather leotards to dialogue like "Proton problem...if this is a proton problem." this movie's got it all  Smile Watched it about 5 times now. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #6237 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »

Sabretooth (2002) - Sci-Fi Original type thing about a sabretooth cat genetically engineered by Vanessa Angel and funded by the always cheesy and always enjoyable John Rhys-Davies, that gets loose and starts munching on some campers in the local woods. David Keith plays a big game hunter who's called in to save the day. Silly fun, with enjoyable characters and terrible CGI. A favorite of mine. 4/5.

This was one of my very first Imported DVDs I bought. Not much choice when you are located in Europe without a credit card but eager to watch the latest US releases on home video. This German based mail order company had outrageous prices. I paid 40€ for the Lionsgate Sabretooth DVD, that would be around $50 these days  Buggedout
Fun flick, but the CGI shots of the creature are done pretty bad. But then again, it was a SyFy sort of movie so what to expect ...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6238 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »

This was one of my very first Imported DVDs I bought. Not much choice when you are located in Europe without a credit card but eager to watch the latest US releases on home video. This German based mail order company had outrageous prices. I paid 40€ for the Lionsgate Sabretooth DVD, that would be around $50 these days  Buggedout
Fun flick, but the CGI shots of the creature are done pretty bad. But then again, it was a SyFy sort of movie so what to expect ...

I'd say it was the worst CGI sabretooth I'd ever seen, but then there's Attack of the Sabretooth that's actually much, much worse lol.

Small | Large

- Paulo Coelho
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6239 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »

I'd say it was the worst CGI sabretooth I'd ever seen, but then there's Attack of the Sabretooth that's actually much, much worse lol.

LOL...looks like they forgot to render textures on the falling tooth!  Excellent 2-D animation there.   TeddyR

(Heading over the Netflix queue....)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.