Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:19:31 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2094069 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6420 on: June 14, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »

" In a magical steampunk kingdom" no thanks  TeddyR

Why not? It's crazy, I think you'd dig it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6421 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

something about that whole aesthetic rubs me the wrong way, but we'll see.

The Devil's Partner (1958) - took a chance with an Alpha Video title and scored big (relatively speaking) . This was a cheap but competent black and white horror set in a small town with the usual folksy folks. Weird old Pete or whatever his name is keels over while doing some kind of black magic ritual. His nephew comes to town and sets up shop and begins his mission: using deceit and black magic to destroy the town! He worms his way into everything and soon everyone is turning up dead.

The director was probably born 30 years too early. This is straight 80's horror done in the 50's. It lacks razzle dazzle and doesn't scale terrible heights but it's rather entertaining in the same way as those old horror comics. recommended 4/5

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:06:35 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6422 on: June 15, 2013, 06:33:16 AM »

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) - two girls and a guy are on a train. One girl gets mad that the guy likes the other girl so she jumps off the train (it's only going like 10 mph) and goes to the ruins of a nearby castle that's been abandoned for 100 years. As luck would have it, some blind undead Templar Knights frequent the area and over the course of the first half of the movie, they eventually manage to kill this one girl. They look pretty cool riding their horses - it's a bit surprising they can do that seeing as they're, you know...blind. Anyhow the other two people who were on the train investigate her death, which consumes the second half of the movie. This was extremely slow moving and very talky but I liked it. I liked the way the first girl just left the train and said screw those guys, nobody's friend-zoning me. And it had some nice atmosphere as well. Some of the attack scenes are a little hard to take - the undead Templars move at about one-tenth of a mile per hour, so their intended victim has to sprain her ankle, which almost totally immobilizes her, and then some guy tries to help her but she apparently weighs 500 pounds...it's a tad bit ridiculous. 4/5.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:43:20 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6423 on: June 15, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »

forget there was a kind of funny line in Devil's Partner: the town drunk gets in to an argument with the female barkeep and goes "To think I used to like fat people" sweet burn bro
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6424 on: June 16, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »

"Skyfall" (2012)

Small | Large

The James Bond series celebrates its 50th anniversary in grand, epic style!

After a near death experience on a botched mission in Istanbul, James Bond returns to active duty to battle a cyberterrorist (Javier Bardem) who's targeting M.I.6 and Bond's boss lady "M" (Judi Dench). The mission takes him to Shanghai and even to the old Bond family homestead in Scotland.

Daniel Craig has finally settled into the 007 role and made it his own.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6425 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »

Well I really enjoyed both Howl's Moving Castle and The Devil's Partner...but for different reasons. Devil's Partner actually has some very familiar faces if I'm remembering correctly...

My Favorite Wife (1940): Nick Arden (Cary Grant) is getting on with his life following the tragic drowning of his wife Ellen at sea, even getting married again to Bianca (Gail Patrick). However just as they are to embark on their honeymoon, Ellen (Irene Dunne) who's been stranded on an island for seven years finally returns home.

This was a very enjoyable comedy romp that really made by the performance of Grant and his reluctance to take action and make a choice between his two brides. Irene Dunne is also really, really good in this as the outspoken Ellen who isn't afraid to challenge Nick to fight for her if he really loves her. I just love these classic Cary Grant films...I really think his ability to play for laughs is a bit underrated. **** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6426 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »

Straight Time- Wow this is just about the best non disaster/ kung fu/ Star Wars etc 70's movie I 've ever seen. It's not hugely exciting at all points but it's very impressive. The story about a convict was written by an actual guy in jail. It's one of those. Dustin Hoffman plays the guy, he gets out of jail and meets Therese Russell who looks incredible. Gary Busey, Kathy Bates, and a bunch of others show up. Dustin Hoffman is kind of Sean Penn ish here I know that isn't timeline correct but he's more virile than he usually is or has been lately in movies.

Robberies were a whole different thing in the 70's before surveillance cameras and whatnot. You could just disappear seemingly anywhere. or maybe that was just convenient to the plot. 5/5

claws
« Reply #6427 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »

The Confessional (1976)

Jenny, a young woman with relationship problems, seeks advice from an old friend-turned-priest at a local church. Inside the confessional booth she has a strange conversation with a priest named Xavier. Father Xavier is sexually frustrated (!) and ridden by other severe mental problems. He falls in love with Jenny, trying to blackmail her while killing any obstacles on the way.
Slow Proto-Slasher-Drama from British Shock-Thriller director Pete Walker. Some unintentional humor made it worthwhile. 4/5

The Last Wave (1977) (Blu-ray)

Young lawyer defends five Aborigines accused of murder. The case turns mythical/weird as the lawyer is haunted by strange nightmares while Australia must face severe rainfall. Apocalyptic slow burner that made me fall asleep several times. Not blaming the movie much, but rather the hot weather we had yesterday. Still, The Last Wave was kind of tough to sit through when its hot outside, but it is well made and atmospheric. 4.5/5

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Director's Cut (1977) (Blu-ray)

Roy who works for an electric company has a close encounter with UFOs. His world literally falls apart as he tries to understand what's going on while his family can't handle his erratic obsession. Roy teams with single mom Jillian who's child was abducted by aliens, and both are drawn to a mysterious mountain where authorities are preparing a meeting with the aliens from outer space. Dramatic Sci-Fi Invasion-Adventure-Thriller that doesn't shy with the scary stuff occasionally.
One has to wonder about the three versions of the film, though. My preferred cut is the Director's Cut which is sort of like the "Ultimate Cut", but its missing the Carl Weathers footage that is included in the Special Edition Cut. The director's cut is also missing footage from inside the mother ship, which I can do without since they don't really show all that much. 5/5
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:47:03 PM by claws » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6428 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:59 AM »

Not blaming the movie much, but rather the hot weather we had yesterday.

Hot here too, which is kind of why I chose last night's movie:

Dead Snow (2009) - Norwegian movie about some kids who go to a cabin out in the woods. A creepy guy stops by and tells them the story of how in WWII, the Germans occupied the area and at the end of the war, angry townsfolk chased them into the mountains, where they presumably starved to death. Or maybe they turned into Nazi zombies  TeddyR  I enjoyed this quite a bit. Very much a dark comedy, it actually made me chuckle a few times. Characters were decent enough and all the girls were very pretty. Lots of gore played for laughs, much of it involving intestines. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6429 on: June 17, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »

"Thunderball" (1965)

Small | Large

Sean Connery's fourth go-round as James Bond sends him on a quest to find a stolen NATO plane with two nuclear weapons on board. The search takes him to Nassau in the Bahamas, where he learns that SPECTRE agent "Mr. Largo" plans to use the weapons to hold the world hostage.

"Thunderball" runs a bit longer than it really needs to, but thanks to the beautiful scenery, cool underwater action scenes and hot Bond babes it's still a worthy 007 entry.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6430 on: June 18, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »

THIS MUST BE THE PLACE (2011): A retired Goth pop star tracks down a Nazi who oppressed his deceased father. The script is a bit wonky, but Sean Penn has some great moments as the effeminate, tormented ex-rocker. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #6431 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »

Land of the Dead (2005) (Blu-ray)

After zombies have taken over everything, a colorful group of "outlaws" hired by some post-apocalyptic entrepreneur must retrieve an expensive battle truck named Dead Reckoning.
Legendary Filmmaker George A. Romero's big shot at working for a major film studio (Universal) again, after the success of his Dawn of the Dead remake in 2004.
If anything, LOTD shines with excellent production values, a decent well-known cast, and expensive/gory/bloody CGI and practical effects. We also get to witness the evolution of the walking dead, but sadly Romero did not explored that any further in his follow up Diary of the Dead (2007) and Survival of the Dead (2009). Solid. 4/5
voltron

« Reply #6432 on: June 18, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »

Land of the Dead (2005) (Blu-ray)

After zombies have taken over everything, a colorful group of "outlaws" hired by some post-apocalyptic entrepreneur must retrieve an expensive battle truck named Dead Reckoning.
Legendary Filmmaker George A. Romero's big shot at working for a major film studio (Universal) again, after the success of his Dawn of the Dead remake in 2004.
If anything, LOTD shines with excellent production values, a decent well-known cast, and expensive/gory/bloody CGI and practical effects. We also get to witness the evolution of the walking dead, but sadly Romero did not explored that any further in his follow up Diary of the Dead (2007) and Survival of the Dead (2009). Solid. 4/5
I was surprised how much I enjoyed LOTD because the idea of "modern" Romero doesn't sit well with me. A real classy effort in my book. The sight of Asia Argento is always a plus.  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6433 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »

Blind Rage (1978) - Finally finished this one. Leo Fong movie with a complete ludicrous premise: They train blind guys to do a heist why ? why?  It's like a comedy sketch. Here's a sampling of reviews from IMDB

"With no production values whatsoever, and a plot that sounds like the start of a bad joke, this absurd thriller has to be one of the dumbest flicks of the 70s"

"one of the blind dudes breaks up an attempted sexual assault by another. In a voice with about as much emotion as Eeyore before coffee, our hero orders the aggressor to "Get off her... sex hungry bastard.""

"My favorite part of the movie though has to be the chase scene that starts at an International House of Pancakes and then ends up on the roof of an International House of Pancakes! The International House of Pancakes is also where the crime is planned at the beginning of the movie (a great place to plot a international crime).

That's really too much International House of Pancakes for one movie."

I agree with all of those. In other words: typical Thistv fare        who cares /5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6434 on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »

Return of the Evil Dead (1973) - second in the Blind Dead movie franchise. A Spanish town is having a big celebration to mark the 500 year anniversary of those nasty devil worshiping Knights Templar being burned alive by angry villagers. But wouldn't you know it, they've chosen this night to rise from their graves and attack the town.  Bluesad Puts a hell of a damper on the festivities. These guys may only move at about one-third of a mile per hour, but you've gotta admire their organizational abilities - whenever they attack they make sure to come in from every entrance in the place simultaneously. A few people end up taking refuge in a church, others flee to the countryside on foot - too bad the Blind Dead have horses.

I couldn't get into this one too much, I suppose because I've seen this exact same plot - just with different killer beasties - a hundred times since. It was okay though. 3/5.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:34:35 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.