Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:25:20 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093803 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6525 on: July 13, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

where / how did you see guy from Harlem?

Mill Creek Martial Arts pack. I think they have changed the titles in it but it was in the one I have. Wish it wasn't, though.  Wink

I found it here....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6526 on: July 14, 2013, 06:32:39 AM »

Project Moon Base (1953) - Three people are sent up in a spaceship to orbit around the back side of the moon, but one of them is a secret agent for the bad guys and wants to sabotage the mission and ram the ship into a space station. But the movie is really about the other two people, who used to be in a relationship but the girl got promoted over the guy because of her gender and so he resents her, but will they once again find true love by the end of the movie? This was a silly little thing and about the only reason to watch it is Donna Martell in a tight T-shirt. The cheesy '50s style special effects were kind of fun as well. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6527 on: July 14, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »

"Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning" (2004)

Small | Large

I haven't seen the previous two films in this sisterly-lycanthrope saga, but thankfully familiarity with them isn't really necessary for watching this one, since it's a prequel set in the early 19th century. 
Two sisters lost in the wilderness seek shelter at a secluded trading outpost, only to learn that the fort has a slight problem with werewolf attacks. Some pretty cool gore and nice attention to period detail, but I thought this one was a little slow.  I did enjoy it enough to want to check out the other films in the series, though.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6528 on: July 14, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »

NIGHT FRIGHT (1967): A UFO lands in Texas. Most of the plot this embarrassing cheapie consists of police combing the woods, desperately searching for shreds of entertainment. 0.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6529 on: July 14, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »

Small | Large

Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977) - Would be kind of an insult to group this with conspiracy movies but it has a little of that vibe. The difference is the conspiracy it reveals is now largely considered more or less true: Vietnam was more about cold war think tank nonsense than whatever the stated aim was. Prisoners escape and take over a Missile silo. The leader, a general, states he will set off the weapons contained at the silo unless the POTUS tells the world what really happened there (He also wants ten million dollars and a flight out of the US, mostly for the guys helping him) .  You'd think this would be a pretty easy decision for the leader of an ostensibly free nation: all he had to do was read a certain file, give the guy the money and the situation would be resolved but it doesn't work out that way.

I doubt this was a big hit as it's pretty long ( 2.5 hours) there are no hot women (normally a pet peave of mine but I give them a pass here) and the action is good but doesn't blow you away. The message is pretty awesome though and the resolution is excellent.  I'll give it a 4/5 because it was long and slow in parts but it's a brave movie that is hugely relevant in 2013
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6530 on: July 14, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »

"Men in Black 3" (2012)

Small | Large

In the third go-round for Will & Tommy Lee, Agent "J" must travel back in time to 1969 in order to save his partner "K" and prevent yet another alien invasion of Earth. While in the past he meets up with the younger version of "K," played hilariously by Josh Brolin. This one is mostly Smith's show, and the time travel angle is fun. I liked this one better than the previous "MiB" but it still doesn't beat the first flick.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #6531 on: July 15, 2013, 01:28:12 AM »

NIGHT FRIGHT (1967): A UFO lands in Texas. Most of the plot this embarrassing cheapie consists of police combing the woods, desperately searching for shreds of entertainment. 0.5/5.

I couldn't believe how bad and dull this movie was. I think to remember some soft drink being constantly on display, might have been another movie though.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6532 on: July 15, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »

Slaughter (2009) - a girl moves to a farm and becomes best friends with the other girl who lives there. The name of the movie is Slaughter, so you know there's more going on at the slaughter house than just the little piggies going whee whee whee. Slow burn plots don't work too well when I don't care about or really even like the characters. The main girl had no personality and seemed like she was only there to move the plot along instead of act like a believable human being, and the other girl was a pure bar slut. Had a nice plot twist in it, but even the climax dragged and dragged. I've still got 5 (or probably 15) more minutes to go.2.25/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6533 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »

JUG FACE (2013): In an insular rural community, a malevolent pit periodically demands the sacrifice of whoever's face appears on a jug. If you can buy into the premise, this low-budget horror is very well-acted, creating a unique folk mythology and a creepy sense of backwoods doom; sort of a mix between WINTERS BONE and "The Lottery." 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6534 on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »

True Grit (2010)-The Coen Brothers take on the western in this excellent remake. What surprised me about this one is just how faithful it is to the classic westerns of the past. This is not something like Unforgiven (which is great don't get me wrong) that reevaluates the ways of the west but instead a faithful retelling of a classic story. Wonderful acting throughout with the highlights being a slightly humorous turn from Matt Damon and an assured debut from newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. Looked great on Blu Ray as can be expected and came as a double feature with John Waynes "Hondo" which I watched shortly after.

Hondo(1953)-In all my movie watching I guess I had yet to see a John Wayne film which this movie corrected. Hondo (Wayne) drifts through Apache territory and comes across a women and her child who take him in. She claims her husband is off at war but Wayne knows better and proceeds to fix things up, teach the boy some life lessons and do some light romancing. When the Apaches come into play it's up to Wayne to defend his new household. This was really fun and being my first exposure to John Wayne I was impressed enough to seek out his other films. The Blu Ray is worth picking up it looks great for its age and the extras are great. I listened to the commentary with Leonard Maltin after and it was one of the better commentaries out there, check it out!

Bad Boys (1995)- Excellent fun debut from Michael Bay displaying some high quality action on a low budget. Will probably watch Bad Boys 2 soon.

The Lincoln Lawyer(2011)- I've noticed that the courtroom thriller has fallen out of vogue recently and it's a shame because when it's done right it can be excellent. This was an example of doing it right, and actually had one of the all time best examples of the genre I can think of. Looking at Mathew McConaughey's imdb this is the film that signaled his shift from hollywood pretty boy to high quality dramatic actor. The two hours flew by and I have to say that this is one of the best plotted movies I have seen in a while, the twists made sense, the character motivations were satisfying and overall it was just great.

Evil Dead(2013)-I was going to check this one out in theaters due to the promise of that truly ridiculous trailer but never got the chance. This is a pretty solid remake great direction, effects and tight pacing. In a time when every blockbuster is pushing 2 and a half hours it is refreshing to see a new movie come in under 90 minutes. Not quite as shocking as the trailer would lead you to believe but that is not to say there is not some great gore here. Despite all these positives this is one that you forget almost as soon as you're finished.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6535 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »

True Grit (2010)-The Coen Brothers take on the western in this excellent remake. What surprised me about this one is just how faithful it is to the classic westerns of the past. This is not something like Unforgiven (which is great don't get me wrong) that reevaluates the ways of the west but instead a faithful retelling of a classic story. Wonderful acting throughout with the highlights being a slightly humorous turn from Matt Damon and an assured debut from newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. Looked great on Blu Ray as can be expected and came as a double feature with John Waynes "Hondo" which I watched shortly after.

Hondo(1953)-In all my movie watching I guess I had yet to see a John Wayne film which this movie corrected. Hondo (Wayne) drifts through Apache territory and comes across a women and her child who take him in. She claims her husband is off at war but Wayne knows better and proceeds to fix things up, teach the boy some life lessons and do some light romancing. When the Apaches come into play it's up to Wayne to defend his new household. This was really fun and being my first exposure to John Wayne I was impressed enough to seek out his other films. The Blu Ray is worth picking up it looks great for its age and the extras are great. I listened to the commentary with Leonard Maltin after and it was one of the better commentaries out there, check it out!

Bad Boys (1995)- Excellent fun debut from Michael Bay displaying some high quality action on a low budget. Will probably watch Bad Boys 2 soon.

The Lincoln Lawyer(2011)- I've noticed that the courtroom thriller has fallen out of vogue recently and it's a shame because when it's done right it can be excellent. This was an example of doing it right, and actually had one of the all time best examples of the genre I can think of. Looking at Mathew McConaughey's imdb this is the film that signaled his shift from hollywood pretty boy to high quality dramatic actor. The two hours flew by and I have to say that this is one of the best plotted movies I have seen in a while, the twists made sense, the character motivations were satisfying and overall it was just great.

Evil Dead(2013)-I was going to check this one out in theaters due to the promise of that truly ridiculous trailer but never got the chance. This is a pretty solid remake great direction, effects and tight pacing. In a time when every blockbuster is pushing 2 and a half hours it is refreshing to see a new movie come in under 90 minutes. Not quite as shocking as the trailer would lead you to believe but that is not to say there is not some great gore here. Despite all these positives this is one that you forget almost as soon as you're finished.

AMC is doing a John Wayne Marathon on Saturday; it actually begins on Friday night, with MCCLINTOCK!.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6536 on: July 15, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »

Thanks for the heads up will try to tune in and catch a couple movies!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6537 on: July 15, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »

Freaky Friday (1976): Classic 1970s Disney film which sees a mother (Barbara Harris) and daughter (Jodie Foster) switch bodies for one day and in so doing, truly learn what the other has to deal with, day in and day out.

Actually my memory of this had it better than it actually was. Oh it is entertaining enough at times but is also oftentimes quite silly and decidedly farfetched. The most memorable sequences include the waterskiing and the police car chase, both of which never deliver the expected consequences. That said, what else can one really expect from a 70s era Disney film? Harris does a fine job here as the mother/daughter in mother's body. Foster is also quite good in this early role as a believable misunderstood teenager. John Astin offers some fun support as the husband/father who's a bit old-fashioned with regards to what he expects from his wife. *** out of ***** stars.

3 Ninjas Knuckle Up (1995):  Sequel starring the original cast 3 Ninjas in a new adventure where they decide to help a group of Indians win back control of their land from an evil industrialist who wants to use it as a toxic waste dump and landfill.

Undeniably dumb and unnecessary sequel that plays upon pretty much every stereotype and throws in most action film checklist expectation as well. It is surprisingly action-filled and entertaining in a dumb, turn off your brain, guilty pleasure kind of way. Fairly predictable fare and nothing you haven't seen before in better classic action films. **1/2 out of ***** stars.

UFOs Do No Exist! The Grand Deception and Cover-Up of the UFO Phenomenon (2011): Documentary style film narrated and produced by Bill Knell that examines the history of the UFO phenomenon and Knell's investigations that suggest the U.S. government might be involved in a massive cover-up.

This documentary is just Knell talking and showing slides throughout. Some of the information is interesting but there is very little one has not seen discussed before if one has already watched other shows and documentaries (or read books on the subject)  with a similar theme, many of which produce more entertaining dramatizations. The constant narrations proves rather dull here and one is somewhat disappointed when Knell mentions other documentaries he's produced but doesn't show any footage from them whatsoever. Probably would prove a good cure to insomnia for some even though, like I said, some of the info is interesting. **1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:45:35 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6538 on: July 15, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »

The Broken (2008) - unbearably boring take on a well-known movie. I won't say which one as that would give the whole plot away, but the main character is completely undeveloped - in fact undevelopable - and virtually nothing happens in the whole damned movie. There's a neat twist at the end. Someone, somewhere along the line, should have realized there are good ideas which cannot be made into good movies. 1/5.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6539 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »

Kumare (2011) - The missing link between Borat and Marjoe. Really great documentary about a guy who while researching the phenomenon of gurus decides they are all full of it and that he can do it himself. and does!

He creates the Kumare character and heads to Phoenix where new age yoga stuff is super popular and where you also get a hint of the Mormon, scientology weirdness floating around. He creates some bogus and hilarious yoga moves and a bunch of ridiculous meditations and so forth and it soon enough he has dedicated followers. He drops hints that the whole thing is a fraud but that all miss them. Some of the girls are attractive and they are all seekers to the nth.

It's not all a gag though, he genuinely attempts to teach them stuff ( he is an agnostic Hindu who studied religion in college ). The hook of it is that yes he is playing with these peoples emotions and they look somewhat ridiculous. It's not mean spirited though. 1 hour 24 minutes moves by well and of course you are waiting for the reveal at the end. It doesn't have that "let's make this a blockbuster you guys!" Spurlockian vibe. 5/5
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.