Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:21:54 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2094201 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6555 on: July 20, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »

Freaky Friday (2003): An overworked mother named Tess (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her rebellious teenage daughter Anna (Lindsay Lohan) unexpectedly switch bodies after eating some type of magical fortune cookie. In order to switch back, they have to learn some lessons from what it is like to be one another for one freaky Friday.

This remake of the 1976 film is quite different from the original and I have to say I prefer the original cast of Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster big time. That said, Lohan is surprisingly competent here and does well enough in her role playing serious adult trapped in a teenager's body. Curtis I actually find less convincing here and her role truly pales next to Barbara Harris although that may be the fault of the material as much as anything else. This is never quite as quirky as the original film and suffers for it but is watchable enough family fare with only a handful of disturbing moments (Curtis pulling her pants up?! Was that really necessary here?). Lohan actually gets to shine a little here in one of her better roles before she went off the rails. *** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:15:19 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6556 on: July 20, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »

Taking Lives (2004) - I realized the other day that I'd never seen an Angelina Jolie movie. This one looked pretty good and sure enough it is. It's run of the mill in the best possible way. It won't blow your mind but everything you want to happen in it happens.

Angelina is a super awesome detective who is sent up to Canada to help find a serial killer. He kills people then takes their identities so he is Taking Lives in more ways than one. He's taking them in two ways. It's all very Law and Order meets a Michael Douglas movie but not quite at that level. We're not talking David Fincher here.

Angelina's lips are gigantic. It's crazy, they are like 5 peoples lips sewn together. Ethan Hawke is good if a little method acting y as the guy who the killer is after. Some suspension of belief here and there and not enough sex scenes but all in all it moved well and I imagine people who saw it felt they got their moneys worth in that I'm at the movies on Saturday night and i want to see something dark and easy to follow way. Maybe if you are a real aesthete there won't be all that much for you 4.5 /5
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:45:46 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6557 on: July 20, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »

We watched two movies tonight.  The first one was called ROBOT & FRANK.
This is a gem of a movie, as long as you don't mind a leisurely pace and lots of character development.  Frank (Frank Langella) is a retired cat burglar who is suffering from a gradually increasing case of dementia.  He shoplifts (rather badly) and has the hots for the local librarian (played by Susan Sarandon, who looks quite good for her age).  His son Hunter is concerned about his Dad's memory lapses and general safety, and buys him a robot to be his butler/companion/minder.  Frank, who is not nearly as far gone as folks think he is, uses the robot to help plan and carry out one last big jewelry heist.  Liv Tyler does a great turn as Frank's daughter Maddie.
The second film was an indie horror flick called JACOB.  I will give the film makers credit here; they tried to take this movie in some original directions and really incorporate some decent acting and character plots.  They just didn't always succeed. Still, it was a better than run-of-the mill slasher flick.  The title character is a very big, mentally challenged youth who sees his beloved baby sister killed by his mother's boyfriend, and goes on a killing spree.  There is a lot more to it than that, but it's pretty watchable overall.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6558 on: July 21, 2013, 06:21:44 AM »

Got about halfway through Star Wars the Clone Wars last night.  Lucas apparently doesn't know know that little kids can enjoy stuff even if it doesn't go goo goo ga ga at them every five minutes.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6559 on: July 21, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »

BRANDED (2012): A Russian advertising executive (with a British accent) develops the ability to see people's brand loyalty, which materializes as waving blobs on stalks attched to their necks, then decides he must come up with a plan to destroy all advertising. This could have made a decent a satire, but it's way too serious, preachy and hamfisted; a couple of good ideas are killed off by mediocre performances, lazy scriptwriting, and cheap, head-scratching CGI. 1.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6560 on: July 21, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »

I watched SUCKER PUNCH for the sixth or seventh time today.  This movie never gets old; its powerful message of feminine empowerment, zombie triplane existentialism, and B-26 dragon slaying is as relevant today as it was 2 years ago when I first saw this masterpiece in the theater.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6561 on: July 22, 2013, 06:21:19 AM »

Crawlspace (2012) - no not the Klaus Kinski movie, this one takes place in a secret military bunker where some sort of research has gone horribly wrong, so the usual team of commandos is called in. It's not your typical Alien ripoff as the research dealt with psychic experimentation. Pretty interesting plot and a moderate level of suspense. Wasn't bad. Nice twist at the end. 3.5/5.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:18:39 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6562 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »

SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (1973): After watching a touring print of FRANKENSTEIN in 1940s Spain, a young girl is convinced the monster is real and lives in an abandoned farmhouse on the edge of town. This movie is too slow for its own good---it takes an hour for the first major plot development, and for the young actress to discover a second expression---but the seriousness and artistry can't be overlooked. 3.5/5.

claws
« Reply #6563 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

The Night Child (1975)

Young girl under the influence of an evil curse doesn't want to share her daddy who is about to fall in love with a beautiful woman after his wife died.
Psychological Euro-Horror briefly dipping into The Exorcist territory without being too obvious about it. Surprisingly decent effort with minimal awkwardness usually found in those kind of movies, though there are a few cheesy moments. A little slow but entertaining thanks to the young actress playing the "possessed" girl. She's sooooo creepy. 3.5/5
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6564 on: July 22, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

Jack- or the awesome made for tv movie!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6565 on: July 23, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »

Deathstalker (1983) - Mr. Stalker goes to a big fighting tournament being put on by an evil sorcerer, but he mostly wants to get the three items of power - a sword, a goblet and an amulet - to make him THE power. Totally cheesy sword and sorcery flick, very entertaining and with plenty of boobs courtesy of the very uninhibited Barbi Benton, among others. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6566 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »

DOOMED TO DIE (1940): Detective James Lee Wong (Boris Karloff, starring for the last time as Monogram's answer to Charlie Chan) investigates the death of a shipping magnate. If you can get past Karloff's cringe-inducing "Chinese" makeup and the questionable plot device of an "infrared  camera" that's able to read messages after a note has been burnt to ash, this is a fairly intricate and involving mystery. 2.5/5.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6567 on: July 23, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »

My daughter  is in the den, watching SUCKER PUNCH right now!!!
Proud papa!!!

VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6568 on: July 23, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »

Kid With The Golden Arm 1979

Shaw Brothers

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6569 on: July 24, 2013, 06:23:08 AM »

Voices (2007) - South Korean movie (I watched the whole thing assuming it was Japanese lol) about a girl who's family is apparently under some kind of curse. One family member after another tries to kill this girl. It seems to end and we get an explanation of what's going on, but the movie continues and we get another explanation, then another and I believe a fourth as well. The whole thing's kind of confusing and unsatisfying. I think the filmmakers were just as confused as I was. The characters were pretty decent though, and it maintained somewhat of an atmosphere of tension and suspense. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.