Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:08:11 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2094188 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6795 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »

THE SILENCER (1992)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0105408/reviews-13

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
claws
« Reply #6796 on: September 22, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »

I found no enjoyment in watching this. Bad movies playing it straight equals dull for me.
I did like how the set design, visual style and the lead actress was very much inspired by Madonna or one of her music videos.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6797 on: September 22, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »

Hack-O-Lantern (1988) - so there's this family and they've got a problem - grandpa is a devil worshiper. The even bigger problem is that he reminds me of Boss Hogg doing his Mr. Evil voice. There are three kids in the family; Tommy is following in Grandad's footsteps and overflowing with teenage angst (even though the actor playing him was 32 at the time). He also daydreams about starring in the world's cheesiest heavy metal video, and we get to watch the whole thing. Then there's Vera and some other guy (Roger?) who are both normal. So they have to deal with these two a-hole incestuous losers for about an hour until things come to a head at the annual Halloween party where gramps starts following girls into the ladies room and killing them. Looks like there's gonna be a showdown - straight out of Hobgoblins with Grandpa using a garden hoe for a weapon.

There's tons of great '80s synth music, a little bit of which is even appropriate for the scene it's being played during. And lots and lots of noodity. One of those movies that just kind of shrugs its shoulders and says "Yeah I know I suck, but...boobies!" 2.5/5.

^ One of the boobies
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:52:10 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6798 on: September 22, 2013, 07:52:25 AM »

Rainy Saturday yesterday...lotsa movie watchin'.

With the kids:
"An American Tail" (1985)
http://www.youtube.com/v/D6jl0Vch6Z0
In this animated flick from Steven Spielberg and Don "All Dogs Go To Heaven" Bluth, little Fievel Mousekowitz emigrates from Russia to New York at the turn of the 20th century. Along the way he gets separated from his family and when he finally reaches America he learns that the streets aren't quite "paved with cheese" as he'd been promised. A fun movie that also serves as a nice little history lesson for the young'ins.

"Fathom" (1967)
http://www.youtube.com/v/HHxYiuvivLc
Racquel Welch stars as professional sky-diver "Fathom" Harvill, who gets mixed up with spies and jewel thieves while on tour in Spain. This campy spy spoof (obviously inspired by the James Bond series) has a silly plot but plenty of gorgeous Spanish scenery - and of course lots of revealing shots of Welch herself, who was quite possibly the hottest woman in the world at this time. (Seriously, fellas. She's so hot it's stupid.) Watch it for the eye candy, don't worry about the plot. 

"Cat People" (1982)
http://www.youtube.com/v/pegqV1jTzHg
Natassia Kinski and Malcolm McDowell star in this kiinky, artsy, new-wavey update of the 40s horror classic as brother and sister carriers of an ancient feline curse, which proves to be fatal to a number of New Orleans citizens. Lotsa style and plenty of gratuitous nudity and gore. Cool stuff.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6799 on: September 22, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »

THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF ADELE BLANC-SEC (2010): In 1911, novelist and adventuress Adele Blanc-Sec seeks a pseudo-scientific ancient Egyptian cure to bring her twin sister out of her coma. Luc Besson's attempt to make an Indiana Jones-style blockbuster infused with French whimsy doesn't always click, but any movie that features both a pterodactyl and a mummy has something going for it. I found it a 3/5, though I could see others rating it higher.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6800 on: September 22, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »

City Slickers (1991): Going through a bit of a mid-life crisis and unhappy in his job, Mitch Robbins (Billy Crystal), alongside equally screwed up friends Phil (Daniel Stern) and Ed (Bruno Kirby), decides to take a challenging vacation and heads out west to help move a herd of cattle from New Mexico to Colorado, i.e. to become real cowboys under the watchful eye of an old, gruff cowboy named Curly (Jack Palance). Along the way, they learn not only a lot about life but a lot about themselves and each other.

This proved much better than I had remembered it. It's quite a fun little film even if it does have its scattered unbelievable moments that seem a stretch. Palance is great as Curly and Crystal, Stern and Kirby make a surprisingly good team in this one. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Get Shorty (1995): Long time mob hand Chili Palmer (John Travolta) heads to Hollywood to collect a debt but soon gets sidetracked with his love and interest in the movie business after meeting a movie producer named Harry Zimm (Gene Hackman). Besides he soon discovers numerous similarities between the two professions.

I have to admit I like this movie a little more than perhaps I should given the ending doesn't work for me as well as I'd like. But nevertheless, it is oftentimes a very clever movie and this film does tend to embrace a love of movies which kind of comes through despite the gangster/comedy plot. I love the references to actual great films, especially Touch of Evil and Rio Bravo not to mention Hackman's Zimm character is somewhat of a Hack B-movie film producer. The descriptions of his previous films do prove a lot of fun to hear about. Rene Russo plays the scream queen of those films here while Danny DeVito plays the more accepted Hollywood star. James Gandolfini is also on hand as a heavy/movie stunt man. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Police Story (1985): Chan Ka Kui (Jackie Chan) is an hard-working police officer who finally manages to arrest an elusive drug lord but soon thereafter is assigned with protecting a witness, the drug lord's girlfriend Selina Fong (Brigitte Lin). This task doesn't prove so easy as she's now a target plus keeping the drug lord locked up might not prove so easy either after he hires a smooth talking lawyer.

While at times downright silly (albeit usually in a good, fun, entertaining way), this movie is a guy's dream come true. It's a complete non-stop kung fu/wild stunts actionfest almost right through from beginning to end. Like I said, the silly stuff is fun and funny too. I love this movie so freaking much.  **** out of ***** stars.

Less Than Zero (1987): A young college student named Clay (Andrew McCarthy) returns home over Christmas at the request of Blair (Jami Gertz), his ex-girlfriend and eventually learns his lifelong best friend Julian (Robert Downey, Jr.), who's now involved with Blair, is deep into a downward spiral of drug addiction.

This movie definitely has an heavy 80s vibe throughout and is quite representative of that era on many levels with a terrific soundtrack and a vibe of high energy, flashy clothes, fast cars, and bright colors. Downey's performance as Julian gives this film some greater substance than it would perhaps otherwise have. This one isn't looking at the time through rose-coloured shades as much as many other films of its type. It's a much more serious, revealing glimpse at the darker side of that era than one typically sees. It's doesn't always work but it is a nice effort nevertheless. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

As Good as It Gets (1997): Obsessive compulsive and nasty, Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson) who doesn't like any change in his routine finds his world suddenly turned upside down after his neighbor Simon (Greg Kinnear), a gay artist is attacked, and Melvin unexpectedly finds himself entrusted with Simon's dog Verdell. Adding to his problems, Melvin's usual waitress Carol (Helen Hunt), the only waitress Melvin is comfortable around, suddenly isn't available to serve his food having to stay home to care for her sick son. Melvin sets out to, in his own unique way, help these people so he can get back to his own life only along the way, something unexpected happens.

This is such a wonderful film. All the characters feels so real, so alive, so vibrant. It's surprisingly refreshing to see such a film so late as the 1990s. In some ways, this feels a bit of a throwback to me to the era when character is what so many films were built around and it has a much sweeter nature, despite Udall's outer mask of nastiness, than one typically sees in films anymore.  This is really, really good. ****1/2 out of ***** stars.

Bon Voyage! (1962): The Willards from Terre Haute, Indiana finally manage to set off on their long dreamed about vacation to Paris, France. However the dream soon turns into a nightmare for dad Harry Willard (Fred MacMurray) who soon finds himself chasing after his three children not to mention his wife. Daughter Amy (Deborah Walley) seems to have started cavorting with some angst-ridden young punk named Nick O'Mara (Michael Callan) aboard the Ocean Liner SS United States. Oldest son Elliott (Tommy Kirk) is using every trick up his sleeve to flirt with exotic young women while younger son Skipper (Kevin Corcoran) keeps poor Harry running around in circles. Making matters even worse, wife Katie (Jane Wyman) eventually catches the eye of a Hungarian womanizer named Rudolph (Ivan Desny).

Actually this film isn't as good as it sounds above. It's never quite as funny as it wants to be, is often much too serious, and ultimately proves sadly overlong and rather dry. There is some good stuff here and there the best of which involves MacMurray's interactions with other characters particularly daughter Amy, Nick O' Mara plus son Elliott and a potential French beau.  Another highlight is what eventually happens with Rudolph. *** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:22:28 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6801 on: September 23, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »

Blood Song (1982) - pretty much a straight Halloween ripoff, except without Jamie Lee Curtis or John Carpenter. And instead of Michael Meyers we get, um...Frankie Avalon. He's some psycho who can act normal enough to befriend a few people before he kills them. Our main girl has a psychic link to him and can see all his murderous activities (as if filmed by a camera crew) in her dreams - because she received a transfusion of his blood at some point in the past. She spends a lot of time hanging out at the pier where her boyfriend works as a fisherman, and she also has to deal with her father who's so overprotective that's he's a complete a-hole. Then of course we get to watch the cops discover stuff that the viewer already knows; that's always exciting. The main girl was likable enough, she's just kind of dull like everything else about this movie. There was a moment of tension here and there, but few and far between. The ending at least had some action but it was pretty dumb too. 2.5/5.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:38:10 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6802 on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »

"Silent Hill" (2006)

http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2M8iYL8suw

Bizarre horror/thriller (based on a series of video games, with which I am unfamiliar) about a little girl who sleepwalks and has recurring nightmares about a town called "Silent Hill." Her adoptive mother decides to take her to the now-abandoned ghost town for a bit of "shock therapy" but gets more than she bargained for when she uncovers zombies, monsters, demons and a crazed religious cult ... and yeah, believe it or not, it just gets weirder from there.

This flick piles on the spooky atmosphere in spades but the story got more and more confused the longer the movie went on. Fortunately the occasionally-disturbing visuals and cool FX (plus an awesomely cool ultra violent gory finale straight outa "Hellraiser") keep it from turning into a slog.

Your mileage may vary depending on your familiarity with the video game.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6803 on: September 23, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »

City Slickers (1991): Going through a bit of a mid-life crisis and unhappy in his job, Mitch Robbins (Billy Crystal), alongside equally screwed up friends Phil (Daniel Stern) and Ed (Bruno Kirby), decides to take a challenging vacation and heads out west to help move a herd of cattle from New Mexico to Colorado, i.e. to become real cowboys under the watchful eye of an old, gruff cowboy named Curly (Jack Palance). Along the way, they learn not only a lot about life but a lot about themselves and each other.

This proved much better than I had remembered it. It's quite a fun little film even if it does have its scattered unbelievable moments that seem a stretch. Palance is great as Curly and Crystal, Stern and Kirby make a surprisingly good team in this one. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Get Shorty (1995): Long time mob hand Chili Palmer (John Travolta) heads to Hollywood to collect a debt but soon gets sidetracked with his love and interest in the movie business after meeting a movie producer named Harry Zimm (Gene Hackman). Besides he soon discovers numerous similarities between the two professions.

I have to admit I like this movie a little more than perhaps I should given the ending doesn't work for me as well as I'd like. But nevertheless, it is oftentimes a very clever movie and this film does tend to embrace a love of movies which kind of comes through despite the gangster/comedy plot. I love the references to actual great films, especially Touch of Evil and Rio Bravo not to mention Hackman's Zimm character is somewhat of a Hack B-movie film producer. The descriptions of his previous films do prove a lot of fun to hear about. Rene Russo plays the scream queen of those films here while Danny DeVito plays the more accepted Hollywood star. James Gandolfini is also on hand as a heavy/movie stunt man. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Police Story (1985): Chan Ka Kui (Jackie Chan) is an hard-working police officer who finally manages to arrest an elusive drug lord but soon thereafter is assigned with protecting a witness, the drug lord's girlfriend Selina Fong (Brigitte Lin). This task doesn't prove so easy as she's now a target plus keeping the drug lord locked up might not prove so easy either after he hires a smooth talking lawyer.

While at times downright silly (albeit usually in a good, fun, entertaining way), this movie is a guy's dream come true. It's a complete non-stop kung fu/wild stunts actionfest almost right through from beginning to end. Like I said, the silly stuff is fun and funny too. I love this movie so freaking much.  **** out of ***** stars.

Less Than Zero (1987): A young college student named Clay (Andrew McCarthy) returns home over Christmas at the request of Blair (Jami Gertz), his ex-girlfriend and eventually learns his lifelong best friend Julian (Robert Downey, Jr.), who's now involved with Blair, is deep into a downward spiral of drug addiction.

This movie definitely has an heavy 80s vibe throughout and is quite representative of that era on many levels with a terrific soundtrack and a vibe of high energy, flashy clothes, fast cars, and bright colors. Downey's performance as Julian gives this film some greater substance than it would perhaps otherwise have. This one isn't looking at the time through rose-coloured shades as much as many other films of its type. It's a much more serious, revealing glimpse at the darker side of that era than one typically sees. It's doesn't always work but it is a nice effort nevertheless. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

As Good as It Gets (1997): Obsessive compulsive and nasty, Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson) who doesn't like any change in his routine finds his world suddenly turned upside down after his neighbor Simon (Greg Kinnear), a gay artist is attacked, and Melvin unexpectedly finds himself entrusted with Simon's dog Verdell. Adding to his problems, Melvin's usual waitress Carol (Helen Hunt), the only waitress Melvin is comfortable around, suddenly isn't available to serve his food having to stay home to care for her sick son. Melvin sets out to, in his own unique way, help these people so he can get back to his own life only along the way, something unexpected happens.

This is such a wonderful film. All the characters feels so real, so alive, so vibrant. It's surprisingly refreshing to see such a film so late as the 1990s. In some ways, this feels a bit of a throwback to me to the era when character is what so many films were built around and it has a much sweeter nature, despite Udall's outer mask of nastiness, than one typically sees in films anymore.  This is really, really good. ****1/2 out of ***** stars.

Bon Voyage! (1962): The Willards from Terre Haute, Indiana finally manage to set off on their long dreamed about vacation to Paris, France. However the dream soon turns into a nightmare for dad Harry Willard (Fred MacMurray) who soon finds himself chasing after his three children not to mention his wife. Daughter Amy (Deborah Walley) seems to have started cavorting with some angst-ridden young punk named Nick O'Mara (Michael Callan) aboard the Ocean Liner SS United States. Oldest son Elliott (Tommy Kirk) is using every trick up his sleeve to flirt with exotic young women while younger son Skipper (Kevin Corcoran) keeps poor Harry running around in circles. Making matters even worse, wife Katie (Jane Wyman) eventually catches the eye of a Hungarian womanizer named Rudolph (Ivan Desny).

Actually this film isn't as good as it sounds above. It's never quite as funny as it wants to be, is often much too serious, and ultimately proves sadly overlong and rather dry. There is some good stuff here and there the best of which involves MacMurray's interactions with other characters particularly daughter Amy, Nick O' Mara plus son Elliott and a potential French beau.  Another highlight is what eventually happens with Rudolph. *** out of ***** stars.

I highly recommend the sequel to GET SHORTY, BE COOL.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6804 on: September 24, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »

The Wicked (2013) - some teenagers go to a haunted house where legend has it that if you throw a rock through the window the witch will get you. If your rock just bounces off the siding you're okay though. So they throw a rock through the window and the CGI witch starts appearing in front of them wherever they go. It's more annoying than scary. These teenagers are kind of jerks, but then there's also the little brother of one of the jerks as well as his girlfriend and they also show up to get in on some witch action. And of course the cops are unbelievable a-holes who are far more immature than the teenagers so they're of no help when they eventually arrive. The witch grabs a few kids and takes them to her cellar where she runs them through a big hand-cranked meat grinder; assuming the other teens don't rescue the person first - she really takes her sweet time about it.

This was okay. Unlikable kids, CGI witch doing obvious CGI things, and not enough T&A to take one's mind off the mediocrity of it all. It finally picked up a bit in the last half hour and got a bit more intense. It tried way too hard to be hip and with it though - all the kids are talking about how they videotaped somebody doing something embarrassing and they're going to post it on Youtube Lookingup Oh boy you guys know Youtube exists, that's so cool of you. In fact I think the little brother and his girlfriend go to the haunted house to videotape big jerk brother getting drunk and post that on Youtube. Diana Hopper as the little brother's girlfriend easily steals the show with the only really developed and interesting character in the movie. She seems like a pretty talented actress, hopefully we'll see her in more stuff in the future. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6805 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »

I liked it a bit better than that, but the big brother and his GF were VERY unlikable.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6806 on: September 25, 2013, 08:01:16 AM »

"Moontrap" (1989)

Small | Large

Obscure, low-budget sci-fi cheez with Walter "Star Trek" Koenig and Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell as a pair of lunar astronauts who discover an ancient race of killer robot something-or-others hiding on the dark side of the moon. Obviously this isn't Shakespeare by any means, but it's a fun "B" movie with some decent old-school FX.

voltron

« Reply #6807 on: September 25, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »

Microwave Massacre (1983)

Poor Donald (Jackie Vernon) is sick of his wife's "gourmet" microwave meals. He just wants a baloney and cheese. In a drunken rage one night he kills his wife with a salt shaker and later cuts up her body and stores it in the fridge. Next day he unknowingly chomps down on her hand and realizes that it tastes pretty good. He then proceeds to bring his newfound delicacy to work and his construction worker friends love it as well. The rest of the movie involves Donald picking up hookers, killing them and preparing them for lunch.

This movie is quite possibly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Anthem Pictures proclaims on the cover that it's the "worst horror movie of all time" which is BS. This isn't horror - it's a black comedy - which should be evident within the first five minutes of the film. I cannot recommend this one enough. Bad movies lovers MUST see this movie. Absolutely brilliant.  Smile Rating: 5/5

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6808 on: September 25, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »

THE HAWKS AND THE SPARROWS (1966) - A boy and his father meet a talking raven who tells them the story of two monks sent by St. Francis to convert birds to Christianity, among other absurd adventures. This Marxist class parable is very much a product of Italy, circa 1966, and hasn't traveled well to our era. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6809 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »

"Moontrap" (1989)

Obscure, low-budget sci-fi cheez with Walter "Star Trek" Koenig and Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell as a pair of lunar astronauts who discover an ancient race of killer robot something-or-others hiding on the dark side of the moon. Obviously this isn't Shakespeare by any means, but it's a fun "B" movie with some decent old-school FX.

That's always been a favorite of mine.  Something about it just works for me  Thumbup

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.