Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:33:24 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093890 times)
claws
« Reply #6900 on: November 03, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »

Warlock Moon (1973)

Girl meets boy, boy takes girl on a date where they discover a seemingly abandoned Spa from the 1930s. Surprisingly, an old lady lives there and invites the love birds for tea. When the girl explores the spa by herself she sees the ghost of a woman wearing a wedding gown. Soon enough the girl is being chased by two axe-swinging maniacs!

Proto-Slasher that touches subjects of cannibalism, urban legends, the occult and the supernatural. This one has a cult following of some sorts and its easy to see why. Warlock Moon is special and certainly worth checking out. 4/5

The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976)

Molly is a waitress at a diner in some small coastal town. She has visions of making love to and then killing big burly men. When actual corpses of murdered men pop up Molly becomes a suspect.

Psychological Arthouse Shock-Drama with strong acting and theatrical-like dialogue. I wouldn't even label this horror, but once the audience knows what the movie is about it becomes quite disturbing and horrific. The actress playing Molly does an outstanding job and reminded me of Isabelle Adjani. 4/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6901 on: November 04, 2013, 08:04:58 AM »

The Mummy's Ghost (1944) - same plot as most of these old mummy movies: some Egyptian guy brings the mummy back to life and sends him to retrieve the girl who's the spitting image of the princess he was in love with way back when. The characters aren't interesting or sympathetic and Lon Chaney Jr's mummy is just pathetic, with a bad arm, bad leg, and shuffling around like Igor in Young Frankenstein. 2.5/5.

The Mummy's Curse (1944) - pretty much identical plot to the last movie but at least this one had a few more interesting characters and a bit more action. Mummy's still pathetic - at one point he goes after a guy and a girl but he's so slow they don't even notice he's after them. Lookingup Way to make a "scary" movie guys. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6902 on: November 04, 2013, 09:18:47 AM »

certain old movies' scariness hasn't aged well. When my Mom was a little girl she actually vomited from fear from "Frankenstein meets the Wolfman" I rented it once and it was like...not scary
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6903 on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »

IN A WORLD... (2013): In a world where movie trailer voiceovers are dominated by an old boys club, one woman will dare to audition to narrate the biggest cinematic event of the decade. Light, likable comedy about "ordinary" people inhabiting a subculture on the fringe of the blockbuster entertainment industry. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6904 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

The Masque of the Red Death - Vincent Price takes Hollywood and Washington to task (in my mind anyway). An a***ole prince likes to entertain himself by torturing and killing people a la Caligula. He's going to have one of his big soirees and then a plague like disease called the Red Death starts happening which doesn't change his plans in the least. He worships Satan, as does his hot girlfriend type person so he figures he's all set. For fun he brings a long a couple of Christians from a village he destroys to observe. Things don't go according to plan.

I saw this as a kid and was impressed with the Satan worship scenes, it was an issue in the 80's when I saw it too. As an adult, the themes and the writing really work. The themes of greed and trying to escape reality via worshipping ...falseness are crystal clear. Really above and beyond for a Corman production. The colors are over the top,definitely has a distinct and garish look 5/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6905 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

ALIEN PARANORMAL: BIGFOOT, UFOS AND THE MEN IN BLACK (2013): Bigfeet dumped in Pennsylvania by UFOs, druid ruins in upstate New York, and little green men in Kentucky are a few of the paranormal phenomenon explored (mostly through recreations acted out by infomercial level talent) in this would-be documentary. It looks like a failed TV pilot being released as an alleged movie to try to make back some of the budget. Manages to make Bigfoot boring, so you can see why no one picked it up. 1/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6906 on: November 05, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »

The Mummy's Hand (1940) - a couple of guys get a magician to finance their Egyptian dig.  Sure enough they find a mummy guarding the princess' tomb and all heck breaks loose.  This was better than the last two I watched, at least they built some sets to look like a tomb.  That adds some atmosphere.  They had not one but two comedy relief characters who were at least tolerable and only occasionally annoying.  The two main guys are just idiots - they tell the magician and his daughter that they'll guard the tents, then sit there with their backs turned while the mummy attacks the magician and walks off with his daughter.  I did get a kick out of the scene where the bad guy is gloating that the comedy relief guy can't shoot him because then the mummy would run amuck.  So comedy guy shoots him.  Yeah stick that in your smug little pipe and smoke it buddy  TeddyR  3.5/5.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) - a bunch of CGI stuff blows up while Angelina Jolie looks cool.  Would have been a LOT better if they had given the main character a personality, but oh well.  It kept me awake until it was time to go to bed, so good on ya.  3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #6907 on: November 05, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »

Purple Rain (1984)

The Kid (Prince) and his band The Revolution are sort of big stars in a famous club in Minneapolis. While engaged in a rivalry with another band from the same club - Morris Day and The Time - he must face nightly drama with his wife-beating ex-musician father. When a beautiful young woman named Apollonia shows up with ambitions to be a singer she and The Kid fall in love. Apollonia agrees to join a girl band put together by Morris which enrages The Kid - he beats up Apollonia. More drama ensues when The Kid's father commits suicide, and the club owner threatening to give The Kid the boot.

People say the acting is bad but I call it "authentic", except for Apollonia who sometimes speaks her lines in a monotone matter (kind of funny because she already had acting experience before being cast in Purple Rain). Great movie but also totally misogynistic. Why all females in the movie are constantly beaten or humiliated remains a mystery  Bluesad 5/5
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6908 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »

Dune (1984) - there's this desert planet and it's the sole source of something called spice - a substance that among other things, enables certain mutated creatures to fold space allowing for travel all over the universe.  Various factions vie for control of the planet, first the evil Harkonnens have it (I think?), then it's taken over by the nice people from House Atreides, but the emperor of the universe doesn't like them because they've developed a new weapon which might threaten his power, so he has the Harkonnens retake the planet.  The Duke of House Atreides is killed but his son and wife flee to the desert where they ally themselves with the native population and stage a revolt against the Harkonnens.

This has a always been a favorite of mine, with fabulous art direction, strong memorable characters, and quite an interesting story.  My only real complaint (aside from dialogue that gets a tad corny at times) is that the ending really doesn't tie things up at all.  We're left with the two sides standing in a room staring at each other.  Will they halt spice production?  Do they just want to be in charge of it?  And it's also a real Battle of the Bulge scenario as one side gained the advantage due to bad weather rendering the other side's air power useless.  However that weather isn't going to last forever and they've got a stupendous amount of air power waiting and ready to go.  

Oh well, still a grand experience.  5/5.

I'm glad to see this film is finally getting the respect I think it deserves, as I don't remember it getting that much respect when it was first released. As I can remember, I don't think that was suppose to be the ending that they had planned, as the first one was suppose to be followed by a sequel, which would then wrap things up in a more satisfactorily manner. Unless there were plans for a third one. Of course, when the first one failed to generate enough business at the box office, any idea for a follow-up sequel was scrubbed.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6909 on: November 06, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »

[I'm glad to see this film is finally getting the respect I think it deserves

Yeah it's always been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw it.  That makes perfect sense about the sequel, the ending seemed like a setup for one.

Watched Cerberus (2005) last night.  It's a fun little SyFy thing about an evil North Korean guy who wants to obtain the breastplate and sword of Attila the Hun, which will make him invincible in battle.  He hires Greg Evigan (BJ and the Bear Smile ) to obtain it for him, by any means possible.  For good guys we've got Sebastian Spence as an American agent of some sort and Emmanuelle Vaugier as a historian who knows where to find Attila's sword.  This is a minor favorite of mine, just an enjoyable little thing with cheesy CGI and plenty of likable characters.  Evigan is especially amusing as the bad guy.  Good comfort food movie.  4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6910 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »

So far this week I have watched the last of my Halloween rentals, a remake of the 80's classic horror MANIAC, starring Elijah Wood in the title role.  I must say I will never look at "Mister Frodo" the same way again!

It's been a long time since I saw the original MANIAC, so my I can't really compare the two, but I will say that this is an amazingly watchable, creepy tale of madness and obsession.  Elijah Wood is a deeply disturbed young man with serious mommy issues, who resolves his internal crises by murdering and scalping young women,  then taking their scalps home and putting them on his mannequins.  When he meets a beautiful young photographer named Anna who is fascinated by the mannequins in his store, will he be able to curb his murderous impulses and have a normal relationship? 

Of course not.

Then last night I watched BEAST: A MONSTER AMONG MEN from Brain Damage Films.  This steaming cinematic turd managed to stuff forty minutes of awful storyline into its hour and twelve minute runtime.  The remaining twenty minutes was used on panoramic shots of the Pacific Northwest, clouds, sunrises, and roadways . . . while a rather poor soundtrack plays.  The story?  Five guys who don't like each other very much go up to the mountains, arguing all the way, to stay in a cabin for a short vacation.  One gets mad at the others and leaves, the host chases after him, the others go looking for them and find the host murdered.  They yell at each other a lot, find some campers on the other side of the mountain, yell at them, go looking for a missing girl, and get picked off one by one . . . . by Bigfoot, who appears in the last few frames of the film, looking frightfully out of focus.  And that's the story.  Poor even by BDF standards!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6911 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »

Yesterday as I perused the shelves at Hasting's I spotted a new DVD entitled FAMILY PROPERTY: BACKWOODS KILLING SPREE.  What jumped out at me was the label on the back: "Reviewers call it 'the worst movie of all time'!"  I took that as a personal challenge, of course.

The reviewers may have been right!
Badly lit, badly filmed, badly acted, zero special effects, poor lighting quality, poor sound quality, and none of the redeeming features that normally make B movies worth watching: explicit violence, goofy lines, clumsy humor - not even any nudity!  This movie is AWFUL in every concept of ridiculous badness.  Ed Wood made better movies than this!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6912 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »

Sharknado (2013) - finally got around to watching this. A hurricane hits LA, flooding the streets and of course the flood waters are full of really pathetic CGI sharks. Our main guy goes to save his ex-wife and kids, who live several miles inland, while rescuing various people along the way. We see tons of footage of these folks riding in the SUV as heavy rain falls. Eventually we get some Sharknadoes - tornadoes that have for some reason sucked up tons of sharks. The sharks actually sort of swim around in the tornadoes eating anyone who gets too close lol. Our characters come up with the most mind-boggling stupid plan to save the day that I've seen in a long time - but of course that's the point of this movie. I really didn't care too much for this;  you average SyFy Original is good for a few chuckles, this cranks that up to 11 and...meh. The characters are as one-dimensional and cliched as you can get (Tara Reid puts in the best performance of anybody), the plot was pure stupidity, and it was surprisingly boring in parts. Like when they stopped the movie dead for 10 minutes so Mr. Hero guy could rescue a random school bus full of kids. 2.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #6913 on: November 07, 2013, 10:14:02 AM »

The Man with the Iron Fists (2012) (Blu-ray)

In 19th Century China different Warriors unite to fight a colorful group of villains. Martial arts homage that turned out to be much better than expected. Director/Rapper RZA keeps a steady flow of blood-splattering action with high production values while keeping things visually stunning. On the downside, there are a few interesting characters but they are lacking depth and finesse. Some of the wigs worn by the actors look awfully fake, and the final CGI man (Iron Fists) vs man (Brass Body) showdown is too obvious CGI at times. The Man with the Iron Fists missed the train on becoming a modern cult film, but I would put it right next to Machete for its similar Grindhouse appeal. Generous 4/5 Rating.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6914 on: November 07, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »

The Proposition-(2005)
Guy Pierce plays a member of a deadly outlaw gang who is apprehended by Ray Winstone. Once captured he is given a choice kill his evil older brother or his younger more innocent brother will be killed. Shot and set in Australia this shows us a different wild west one darker and dirtier then the one were used to.

From Director John Hillcoat and Writer Nick Cave this is a much less accessible film than their recent collaboration "Lawless". Where Lawless had a sense of fun to it this film takes a very serious slow moving approach occasionally bursting with extreme violence. I had trouble making it through the first half due to this pacing. I am glad I stuck with it though because it really does build some great tension and the conclusion is a strong one. The Blu Ray has pristine picture/sound and extensive extras making it a must for fans.

Ghosts of the Civil Dead-(1988) Looking up John Hillcoat's filmography I found this obscure title which marks the first collaboration between the director and musician Nick Cave (he co writers and stars). This is a dark and uncompromising look at life in a high tech prison. Using a quasi documentary approach the film neglects to focus on one specific character instead taking a roaming approach.

While I was taken aback at "The Propositions" darkness I must say this one goes even deeper into exploring the madness of people in a desperate situation. As the criminals are endlessly provoked by the guards violent reaction becomes almost inevitable and fills the film with a real sense of dread. Cave is a highlight as the totally insane maniac who is introduced to the prison population to further enrage the other criminals. I've read reviews comparing the cold shooting style to Kubrick but for me this feels like what would happen if Michael Hanake were to direct a prison movie. A remarkable achievement and probably my favorite of the Hillcoat/Cave collaborations. Not available in North America this film is on youtube.
Small | Large

Hard Times-(1975) Ok so after all that unrelenting darkness it was time for some Charles Bronson goodness for some relief. Not going to go into too much detail for this one other than to say the movie was completely awesome. Bronson plays a quiet street fighter who is managed by a sleezy promoter played by James Coburn. Absolutely top notch 70's film making from Director Walter Hill with a tight funny script and superb pacing. Bronson is in his 50's in this one but he's in such great shape that he is fully convincing as a street fighter. Of the Bronson movies I've seen this ranks right up there with "Mr Majestyk" as my favorite.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.