Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:46:40 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2113377 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7005 on: December 07, 2013, 07:28:52 AM »

Shadowzone (1990) - some people at a research lab are conducting experiments with sleep - they've got two people in a deep state of sleep and somehow this opens a corridor to another dimension and some sort of shape-shifting monster comes through. It spends the rest of the movie terrorizing them. I watched this before and didn't really think much of it but it seemed a little better last night. The story was a somewhat interesting and I guess it had decent atmosphere. The characters, though they were a little bit developed, all seemed completely disposable and it just didn't generate any scares for me. Decent enough for a 3.5/5 though I guess.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7006 on: December 07, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »

American Mary (2013)

Small | Large

Entertaining, disturbing little sickie about a terminally-broke female medical student (Katherine Isabelle of 'Ginger Snaps') who finds a unique way to make ends meet: doing underground surgeries for people in the 'body modification' community. Naturally, the deeper she goes into that increasingly bizarre world, the weirder things get.

Not a classic for the ages, but a decent watch with some good gore and lots of eye candy courtesy of Isabelle. Think Dee Snider's Strangeland without the Internet angle and a hot chick in place of Dee Snider, and you're sort of in the ballpark.

It is unclear why the film is called American Mary since this film was apparently an all-Canadian production. Maybe 'Canadian Mary' didn't have the right ring to it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #7007 on: December 07, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »

Moon 44 (1990) (Blu-ray)

A "hired" group of convicts must "protect" a mining planet from rival companies who battle each other for access to mining planets.

Director Roland Emmerich copies James Cameron's Aliens for his third movie. Emmerich even recreates certain scenes from Aliens that left me watching wide eyed.

What a thieving bastard  BounceGiggle

Other than that Moon 44 offers nice but familiar visuals and set designs, plus unintentional homoerotic undertones. Acting can be borderline bad at times. 3/5
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7008 on: December 07, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »

During the ice storm this weekend I rented 5 movies and have watched 3 so far, plus one from earlier in the week:

KILLER HOLIDAY - Group of teens during spring break spends the night in an abandoned amusement park and become slasher fodder.  Pleasantly gory but a bit hard to follow; my favorite line was when the killer slashed a girl across the stomach with a broken bottle and she looked at him and asked "Why are you doing this?"  He responded: "I do not understand the logic of your question."  He chatted pleasantly with her for a moment, then rammed the bottle into her heart.  Disturbing, but the killer really comes across as a genuine psychopath and not the usual cheap slasher movie stereotype.

MURDER UNIVERSITY - A series of killings in a university span over 20 years, as the orphaned son of a local teacher and the hot daughter of a cop try to apprehend the cult behind the killings.  Hit and miss; a fair amount of nudity and some gory kills, but the plotline is hard to follow in places.  And a couple of the girls are VERY unattractive.

RED 2 - The Retired, Extremely Dangerous seniors from the first movie are back for more mayhem, joined by none other than Sir Anthony Hopkins.  This series is pure fun from start to finish, if you like lots of shooting, gaping reality flaws, ridiculous plot twists, and balding sixtysomething men who still manage to have totally hot thirtysomething girlfriends.

THE WOVERINE - Saw the latest X-men franchise entry tonight, and loved it.  Hugh Jackman is still a total bada$$ in the role, and this time he's wreaking havoc in Japan, where the owner of a huge corporation is trying to steal his self-healing ability and use it for nefarious purposes.

Tomorrow - 2 GUNS and JUG FACE.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #7009 on: December 09, 2013, 02:03:07 AM »

Magnum Force
Battleship
The Gauntlet
Grabbers
Die, Monster, Die!
Pacific Rim
The Dark Knight Returns: Deluxe Edition
Christmas Vacation
Analyze That
The Hideous Sun Demon

Superman Returns
and
Man of Steel
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7010 on: December 09, 2013, 07:15:10 AM »

The Girl Who Played with Fire (aka Flickan som lekte med elden) (2009) - second movie in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (my wife read all the books so now we're watching the movies). Lisbeth (the girl with the tattoo) is being hunted by a mysterious figure form her past, while meanwhile Mikael, the journalist from the first movie, is investigating this and trying to contact Lisbeth. As before, she's a very troubled but very intelligent person, and she stole a whole bunch of money from the bad guys at the end of the first movie so she's got the resources to stay well hidden. But of course she's got to investigate who's after her as well. I actually liked this a little better than the first movie, it's got a bit more action. Very good acting and interesting, likable characters. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7011 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:53 AM »

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968) - another from the Dan Curtis collection. Jack Palance stars as our titular character(s) who's developed a formula to split the evil part of man away from the good part. So you go through the usual shenanigans of Mr. Hyde getting in all sorts of trouble etc. This wasn't bad, it had a bit of drama to it and the characters were vaguely interesting. It dragged quite a bit in the last third though. I'll be a little generous and give it a 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7012 on: December 10, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »

"Iron Man 3" (2013)

Small | Large

Tony Stark's suffering from a bout of post-traumatic stress syndrome brought on by his "Avengers" experience, just as a terrorist named The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) starts blowin' a whole lotta sh*t up around the U.S. Can Tony shake off his personal demons and get back to kickin' bad-guy butt again? Well, duh. This third chapter is far better than the blah "Iron Man 2," with more humor and of course plenty of action.

Robert Downey Jr. gets to flex some action-hero muscles outside of the Iron Man suit, and Gwyneth "Pepper Potts" Paltrow is given more to do than the standard damsel-in-distress routine for a change. The end credits promise that "Tony Stark will return," ala James Bond, which is fine by me.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7013 on: December 12, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »

DRUG WAR: A drug kingpin falls into the police's laps when they discover him injured in a car crash, but can they trust the criminal's plan to save himself from execution by setting up a sting on his fellow cartel members? Superior police procedural with slick action sequences that hearkens back to the days of New Wave Hong Kong cinema, and explains why deaf-mutes make the best footsoliders in your drug army. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7014 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »

My Twisted Christmas Film Festival continues with...

"Saint Nick" (2010)

Small | Large

Also known as "Saint" or "Sint," this Dutch holiday-horror import is like a Euro twist on "Silent Night, Deadly Night." Shortly before Christmas, the city of Amsterdam comes under siege by the p**sed off spirit of Saint Nicholas, who's not nearly as jolly as his American counterpart, Santa Claus. It's up to a disgraced cop and a kid to stop him before he massacres the whole city.

Note: the version of this flick that's available on Netflix has one of the worst English dubbings I've seen/heard since the Italian horror flicks of the 80s....but the stilted, awkward English translations only add to the film's overall surreal vibe.

"Saint" is much more mean spirited than Finland's similarly themed "Rare Exports," with lots of improbable action and some sweet-ass violence and gore, so I certainly wasn't bored. Worth a look if you're in the mood for something out of the ordinary.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7015 on: December 13, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (aka Luftslottet som sprängdes) (2009) - third movie in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I'm not even going to attempt to explain the plot as it's fairly complex and wouldn't make much sense to anyone who hasn't seen the second movie. It's a combination detective mystery and political thriller with a bit of courtroom drama at the end. I think this is my favorite of the three, as we see all the plot lines from the previous films finally get tied up. And after spending 7 1/2 hours with these characters, you really feel as if you know and care about them. Despite the fact that there very little action in this one, the plot was very suspenseful and kept me intrigued throughout. 4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7016 on: December 13, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »

BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR (2013): A sexually confused teen girl falls for an artsy college girl with blue hair; the movie then follows their relationship and eventual breakup over the years. Brilliantly acted, but at three hours long, it's obvious director Abdel Kechiche is more fascinated by these characters than the average viewer will be; his inability to stop rolling the camera, whether it be during endless pasta dinners or graphic sex scenes, starts to become a problem as the hours drag on. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #7017 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »

"The Elvira Show" (1993) (YouTube)

Unaired pilot for a sit-com starring Elvira (Cassandra Peterson). I thought this was funny, even though it recycled jokes, themes and scenes from the Elvira movie Mistress of the Dark (1988). Filled with typical Elvira humor, would've been interesting to see how this sit-com would have unfolded. 4/5

Freddy vs. Jason (2003) (Blu-ray)

Freddy Krueger resurrects Jason Vorhees and sents him to Elm Street in order to provide Krueger with fresh souls. Once Freddy has his strength back he tries to get rid off Jason - but Jason won't die.
Clash of the franchises, stylish and bloody with high body count. Dumb but entertaining. 4/5

The Possession (2012) (Blu-ray)

Daughter of divorced parents buys mystery wooden box at yard sale containing evil. After opening the box she is possessed by a demonic spirit.
Solid supernatural horror pushing the PG-13 limits. This film was quite effective I thought, mostly thanks to scary soundtrack score. 4/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7018 on: December 14, 2013, 01:07:59 AM »

"Silent Night, Deadly Night" (1984)

Small | Large

On Christmas Eve in 1971, lIttle Billy witnesses the murder of his parents by a guy in a Santa suit. Naturally this instills some, shall we say, issues regarding Santa Claus. Spending the rest of his formative years in an orphanage under the thumb of an abusive Mother Superior doesn't help. You can barely blame the guy when he grows up for snapping on Christmas Eve and going on a killing spree of his own while wearing a Santa suit. Am I right? Am I right?

But seriously...this controversial little slasher sickie got run out of theaters by angry parents and PTA groups back in the day, instantly cementing its rep as a cult classic. As slasher flicks go, it's a delightfully sleazy piece of work that will make you feel like you need a shower when it's over. This flick is a perfect antidote to all the holly-jolly Christmas movies that clog up the airwaves at this time of year!!

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7019 on: December 15, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »

"Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2" (1987)

Small | Large

"Ricky," younger brother of the killer Santa "Billy" from the previous "SN,DN" film, pours out his tragic story to a jail psychiatrist before escaping and embarking on a Santa-suited killing spree of his very own.

This cheap-as-hell sequel is infamous for its liberal recycling of footage from the first film (which takes up most of the first half of the movie) and the terrible over-acting of the dude playing "Ricky" (two words: "GARBAGE DAAAAAAYYYY!").

Make no mistake, this movie totally sucks, but it sucks in an  awesome sort of way.

Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.