Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:10:23 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2115039 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8235 on: November 30, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »

A Father's Revenge (1988): Paul Hobart (Brian Dennehy), the desperate father of a young stewardess abducted and held for ransom along with the rest of her flight crew by a German terrorist sect who want the release of two of their colleagues currently held prisoner, hires a group of mercenaries to rescue his daughter before the terrorists' deadline runs out and they execute the prisoners.

The good here is the performance of Dennehy in the lead, the German setting and location, and the apparent inaction of the government all rings true.The bad is this TV movie is rather slow-moving and lacking in action focused more on the moral implications involved, having Dennehy's character  join the mercenaries and play such a huge part in the rescue attempt and questionable methods they ply to retrieve information from those close to the terrorists seems unrealistic and far-fetched although I'm sure a parent in such a situation would like to dream they could pull off such. A mixed bag, entertaining enough TV movie for a one-time watch which was probably what it was intended to be, but really the ending moves this more in the realm of revenge fantasy and takes away from some of the realism of the situation portrayed. **1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8236 on: December 01, 2014, 01:52:05 AM »

I was hoping to add Killing Kennedy (2013) here but FNC messed up so badly that we got to see two National Geographic documentaries instead of this one.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws
« Reply #8237 on: December 01, 2014, 02:09:09 AM »

The Objective (2008)

November 2001: a special forces U.S. military team investigates possible radioactive activity in the deserts of Afghanistan. As they approach their destination strange things start to happen: they pick up creepy radio messages, and they hear helicopters flying by but don't see any real helicopters. At some point they are under attack by unknown predators. All this takes a toll on their sanity while they learn the real reason for their mission.
Blair Witch Project co-director Daniel Myrick unleashes ancient supernatural forces emerging from a Bermuda Triangle-like hot spot located in the desert. Decent sci-fi thriller/horror, but not great. 3.5/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8238 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »

THE CONFORMIST (1970): An ambitious Italian Fascist is assigned a mission while he's on his honeymoon: assassinate a former professor. Subtle and intelligent, if drawn-out, drama, with great cinematography and a then-racy lesbian subtext. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8239 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:18 PM »

"Deathdream" (aka "Dead of Night," 1972)
Deathdream - Movie Trailer - Blue Underground
[/url]

After her son is killed in action in Vietnam, a grieving mother wishes that he would "come back to her" - but when he does, he's some sort of personality-free, undead blood sucking something-or-other. Yeeeeaah, I hate when that happens too.
This slow burning horror flick by Bob Clark of future "Black Christmas"/"Porky's"/"A Christmas Story" fame takes a while to get going but it's got creepy atmosphere to spare. Weird as hell, but worth a look.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:03:19 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8240 on: December 02, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »

Forget Me Not (2009) - a group of friends see their numbers dwindling as a mysterious ghost creature kills them off. Weird thing is, only one of them remembers that their friends even existed once they're gone - the rest act as if they've never heard of the person. Could it have something to do with a little orphan girl they all played a prank on years earlier? Interesting plot but I found it really hard to care about any of these characters; douchebags and sluts one and all. Well the main girl was okay but that's about it. The ghost was your typical jerky spaz movement critter with the big CGI teeth as seen in countless other movies Lookingup I remember liking this the first time I saw it (liked it enough to buy the DVD), but it didn't do anything for me this time. 2.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8241 on: December 02, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »

"Fahrenheit 451" (1966)
Fahrenheit 451 1966 Small | Large

Artsy adaptation of Ray Bradbury's dystopian sci-fi classic, set in a future world where literature is outlawed. When a "fireman" whose job is burning books takes an sudden interest in reading them instead, he instantly becomes Public Enemy #1. A bit on the stuffy/pretentious side but the performances are good and Julie Christie (who plays two different roles) was quite the babe back in the day.

This flick was the first (and only) English language film by French director Francois Truffaut.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8242 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:33 AM »

"Space Station 76" (2014)

SPACE STATION 76 Trailer 09 2014

The arrival of an attractive new crew member (Liv Tyler) causes a shake up among the dysfunctional residents of space station in this parody of 70s style sci-fi flicks. The movie captures the '70s "look" perfectly but never finds the right tone...not much happens, and it can't seem to decide whether it's a dark comedy or a drama.  Skip it.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8243 on: December 03, 2014, 06:45:34 AM »

Dumplings (2004) - Hong Kong movie (does that make it a Chinese movie?) about a rich woman who's husband is cheating on her. She finds some other woman in a rundown neighborhood who makes dumplings which are supposed to make you look and feel younger. So she eats the dumplings. Then she goes back and has some more. And some more. That's like the first hour of the movie. Eventually complications arise with her husband. Pretty darned dull and the ending wasn't nearly as dramatic as it seemed to think it was. I guess the whole point was the gross-out factor of what the dumplings were made of. The dumpling lady was a bit of a character, but that was about the only entertainment I got out of this. 2/5.

Visible Secret (2001) - another Hong Kong movie, this one about a young guy who meets a pretty girl. She claims she can see ghosts, but she's hot so the guy doesn't care. But then strange things start happening to him and it's apparently because of the girl...or is it? Well probably. This has quite a few comedic elements that don't translate at all via subtitles - you miss the entire delivery when you're just reading it. It threw in the requisite number of Asian plot twists; I think I've seen enough Asian horror that I've gotten into that mode of viewing where I assume every little hint of something is a major plot point and that sort of ruins the surprise. Characters were decent enough. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #8244 on: December 03, 2014, 07:20:14 AM »

Dumplings (2004) - Hong Kong movie (does that make it a Chinese movie?) about a rich woman who's husband is cheating on her. She finds some other woman in a rundown neighborhood who makes dumplings which are supposed to make you look and feel younger. So she eats the dumplings. Then she goes back and has some more. And some more. That's like the first hour of the movie. Eventually complications arise with her husband. Pretty darned dull and the ending wasn't nearly as dramatic as it seemed to think it was. I guess the whole point was the gross-out factor of what the dumplings were made of. The dumpling lady was a bit of a character, but that was about the only entertainment I got out of this. 2/5.

The edited version included in the anthology Three Extremes moves at a faster pace. Anyhoo, the "Dumplings" segment appears to be highly regarded, though its always refreshing to see you take a dump on genre favorites  TeddyR Thumbup
ChaosTheory

« Reply #8245 on: December 03, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »

The edited version included in the anthology Three Extremes moves at a faster pace. Anyhoo, the "Dumplings" segment appears to be highly regarded, though its always refreshing to see you take a dump on genre favorites  TeddyR Thumbup

I was gonna say, I don't remember that lasting an hour. But I saw the 3 EXTREMES version; didn't even realize there was another edit. 3 EXTREMES was kind of overhyped, I thought, but "Dumplings" was okay.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8246 on: December 03, 2014, 11:58:38 PM »

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" (2014)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Trailer 1

Andrew Garfield is back for a second go-round as the friendly neighborhood web-slinger, and this time he romances Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) while tangling with Electro (Jamie Foxx) and the Green Goblin (Dane DeHaan), as well as digging deeper into the mystery of his parents' disappearance.

This flick apparently didn't go over too well with the fanboys, but I enjoyed it, despite its over-reliance on CGI effects, particularly in the second half. It's a cool popcorn flick, nothing more, nothing less.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8247 on: December 04, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »

The edited version included in the anthology Three Extremes moves at a faster pace. Anyhoo, the "Dumplings" segment appears to be highly regarded, though its always refreshing to see you take a dump on genre favorites  TeddyR Thumbup

I was gonna say, I don't remember that lasting an hour. But I saw the 3 EXTREMES version; didn't even realize there was another edit. 3 EXTREMES was kind of overhyped, I thought, but "Dumplings" was okay.

They took the Dumplings segment of 3 Extremes and made it into its own feature length film, which is what I watched.

I can see it being a very good 30 minute segment of an anthology film.  Wish I would have watched that instead  Smile
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:42:21 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8248 on: December 05, 2014, 01:25:20 AM »

I Am Number Four: this was a big surprise as I enjoyed it - Music by my homeboy Trevor Rabin and with Judith Hoag in a role: great.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8249 on: December 05, 2014, 06:18:05 AM »

Snowbeast (1977) - an old favorite of mine, a made-for-TV movie about an abominable snowman attacking the guests at a ski resort. Plenty of '70s melodrama, likable characters, and some pretty good suspense towards the end. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.