Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:22:05 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093869 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9240 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:58 AM »

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) - twitter sized review:  almost a decent campy horror movie but runs out of steam fast and all the goth posturing is silly

This is a highly tauted and not worth seeing movie by an Iranian director and is produced by Vice magazine. It's very hip and the director made a bold decision going black and white. The problem is

1. the goth stuff is campy and the director doesn't seem to understand this and
2. the last half hour when it should be revving up to a crazy finale is totally boring

One image I really liked was the vampiress sorrowfully riding down the street on a skateboard.

Also, have you ever noticed there are a lot of pimps in movies?

2/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9241 on: October 09, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »

THE SUICIDE THEORY (2014): A suicidal man hires a hitman to off him, but there's a catch: the intended victim claims he's under a curse and can't be killed, and he miraculously survives every attempt on his life. Starts off intriguing, but ultimately the lattice of guilt the film builds can't support its ambitious premise. 3/5.

TIGER LOVE (1977): A boy raised in the wild by his mother and a tiger returns to his ancestral village and accidentally reignites an old feud when he woos the daughter of the man who tried to kill his mother. The movie is a mess, though a watchable one, with inadequate fight scenes and a familiar Romeo and Juliet plot that somehow turns into a supernatural revenge story at the end. A scene with a boy of about five or six playing with an actual tiger is disturbingly irresponsible. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #9242 on: October 09, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »

BE CAREFUL: SPOILER ALERT!!!

A-Movies:

It (1990): A group of people must fight the murderous clown that disturbed their childhood, that they find out is actually a giant man-eating spider with some tricks up its sleeve. Yeah I know, dumb plot twist.

B-Movies:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988): Alien cklowns appear from a giant, flying circus tent to turn everybody into tasty, cotton candy (or candy floss, in the UK) treats!

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9243 on: October 11, 2015, 12:30:01 AM »

Sound of My Voice (2011) - Brit Marling made this the same year she did another Earth. She co wrote and starred in both. If you liked/ didn't like AE you will most likely enjoy/ not this.

A guy wants to make a documentary about a cult. His mother had joined one as a kid and died because she refused medical treatment for Cancer per the cult's decree. This new group has a secret leader who claims to be from the future, an elaborate handshake and everyone wears white robes. Their sessions are the usual type of stuff people crying and "opening up" and so forth. The charismatic leader is played by Marling who imparts vague knowledge to the various peoples and in general seems to play the game very well. The trouble starts when the couple begins to develops different views on it.

I found it riveting from beginning to end. Sure there are some plot holes and similar sort of problems but the writing is way better than most of the stuff out there.

5/5

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:34:52 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9244 on: October 11, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »

SPIRITED AWAY (2001): A young girl negotiates a world of magical creatures to save her parents when they unwittingly eat spirit food at a deserted theme park and are trapped in a mystical bathhouse. Full of amazing creatures like a huge-headed witch, a six-armed boiler room operator, and the mysterious "No Face", this Japanese variation on "Alice in Wonderland" is one of Hayao Miyazzki's greatest achievements in art and design. 5/5.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9245 on: October 11, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »

This week I watched several movies, none of them bad and two of them exceptional!
WE ARE STILL HERE already got a thread of its own; the next in the series was a neat little vampire film called NOCTURNAL.
Two New Orleans police detectives get caught in the middle of a war between two clans of vampires; one clan exists in the shadows, only preying on society's worst elements - keeping rapists, murderers, and child molesters as captive "blood cows."  The other clan preys on children, and it is when one of these young "blood cows" escapes that the cops get involved - the younger, more idealistic partner ignoring his veteran buddy's advice to stay out of the whole mess.   This one had shades of TRUE BLOOD but was really a pretty well-done stand alone film with some great character development.  4.5/5
The next one was an Eli Roth film called THE STRANGER.  In this movie, a bearded man shows up in a small town, looking for information about a woman who had moved there but died some time before.  After hearing of her demise and visiting her grave, a gang of local youths jump the stranger and beat him senseless, then fatally stab him.  It turns out the town's senior deputy is the father of this gang's leader, and he hauls the body off to bury it in order to protect his villainous son.  But a young man from the house that the stranger stopped at witnesses the whole thing, and after the deputy and his son leave, he goes to see if the stranger is dead - only to find him recovering from his fatal wound!  He manages to get the stranger to his home, and in the course of the next three days discovers the truth not only about this wanderer, but also of his own parentage, and the rare condition that he inherited from his biological parents.  This was a very original and well-done take on the vampire mythos, and I highly recommend it!  Beautifully filmed and well-acted, this one was a solid win!  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9246 on: October 11, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »

Urban Legend (1998): A serial killer at a remote New England college begins slaughtering people basing the killings on a number of "urban legends". Our story focuses on Natalie Simon (Alicia Witt), a former friend of the first victim as the killer seems to be specifically targeting her and all her friends.

While far fetched in many ways (premise, stretches of credibility), I actually kind of enjoyed this one. It had a lot of twists and turns and surprises. Sure it ripped some major stuff from popular horror slasher classics but did it in entertaining, almost at times parody fashion rather akin to its predecessor Scream. There is some rather tasteless comedy bits that some may find more amusing than others. Personally I think this is a tad bit underrated. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Grey Skies (2010): A group of friends get together for a drunken party weekend but things take an unexpected turn when they suddenly come to realize something is watching them and it isn't human.

Well I enjoyed some of the alien stuff here. It seems like someone did a little research with regards to that although nothing is offered that's truly all that new, these sequences do come across as have been described by people who claim to have experienced said phenomena. I also liked the little nods to Body Snatchers. The rest of this movie though is pretty horrid. The acting is mostly terrible and there's way too many scenes of people just running away and walking through the woods. The characters don't prove all that interesting or likable either. Still the alien stuff has some bite and edge so I'll give this *** out of ***** stars.

Wall of Secrets (2003): Paige Emerson (Nicole Eggert) leaves behind her life in Seattle to move in with her new husband Mark (Dylan McDermott) in Chicago in their dream apartment which they somehow got a great deal on. However their dream turns into a bit of a nightmare for Paige when she learns her apartment might be cursed two people have died there in the past. Making things worse, it seems like someone is also watching her and her husband is keeping some secrets from her especially with regards to his father.

This movie was in a cheap Horror box set I picked up. There's no real horror here aside from the element of being watched. This is a convoluted mystery thriller than proves mostly boring and dull. This for me was a dreadful bore I had trouble staying awake through. Very forgettable TV movie stuff. * out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Gabriel Knight
« Reply #9247 on: October 12, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL: yeah, i waited 6 years to watch this mess, now i wish i never did. By the Light, what a pile of excrement. I now officialy hate Spielberg and his fetish for aliens - after putting them saving robot kids, healing with a magical finger, and fighting cowboys, it seemed obvious that he needed to destroy such a great character like Indy with this nonsense. But hey, let's conventionally call them "interdimensional beigns" so nobody notices it, even when they go away in a flying sousage.

Even if the alien thingy didn't scared you enough... you have the monkeys scene (Tarzan ftw), the useless appearance of the character of Marion, the IDIOTIC Mutt (this is more like a personal view of mine, because i hate that actor with every inch of my body), the Amazonian jungle with a freeway that goes for miles and you can drive with your eyes closed, and the REFRIGERATOR SCENE, which can only be compared to the exploding sleeping bag scene in Prophecy - hell, it even beats it in ridiculousness.

What a disaster of a movie. Forgive them Indy, they don't know what they're doing.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9248 on: October 16, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976): Three family members, and their elderly aunt, find a deal allowing them to stay in an old country mansion for the summer, providing they keep the place up, and leave out a plate of food for the house's reclusive matron, who never leaves her room... This haunted house flick has an appealing cast (Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Bette Davis) and a provides a few chills, but it's far too slow-paced as it crawls to it's non-surprise ending. 3/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9249 on: October 16, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »

My Mom and I both watched burnt offerings when I was a kid, both fell for the twist ending, and were freaked out. We had a neighbor named Mrs Alerdice too
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9250 on: October 16, 2015, 09:40:50 PM »

"Halloween" (2007)
Small | Large

Serial killer Michael Myers escapes from the sanitarium on Halloween night and returns to his old home town to eliminate his long-lost sister. Hilarity ensues.

Rob Zombie's ultra-violent remake of the '78 John Carpenter classic digs into the back story behind the Myers character and reveals that he's... a white trash kid with Mommy issues. That's it? Pfft. I think I liked it better when his motivation was a mystery.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9251 on: October 16, 2015, 11:46:10 PM »

That's one of those "love it or hate it" films.  I thought it was brilliant!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9252 on: October 17, 2015, 01:21:57 AM »

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films -

Cassandra Peterson, dolph Lundgren, Bo Derek, Michael dudikoff and others discuss the late great Cannon films, aka Golan Globus productions. While it's very entertaining, the style takes a little getting used to. The are little 15 second segments of talking from the various actors , directors and so forth. It's like the first few minutes of a regular documentary before it goes into longer in depth interviews except... it never does that. it just stays with the quick sharp talking heads for 90 minutes. It's a decent enough way to get the information across but it does take some adjusting to.

Many many of this company's films have been discussed here and there are many more that we will hopefully get too. The title of course alludes to the sequel to Breakin, which was also a cannon film. While the original was topical and somewhat gritty, EB was a garish misfire and it's stars Turbo and Ozone voice their disappointment here. Besides that Superman 4, Masters of the Universe, Delta Force, Sahara (starring Brooke Shields), Cyborg, various Tobe Hooper bombs, and tons of others are discussed. Cannons occasional quality films such as Otello and Runaway Train provide some relief but these moments are few and far between. The great majority of the doc is people talking about how little thought and revision went into Cannon film concepts and how poorly they understood their desired audience. Yet there is admiration for their spirit, courage, and undeniable love for cinema.

very high rec for bad movie fans obviously. These guys were really very similar to Troma or Asylum or one of those companies they just did it on a way way bigger scale. They paid Stallone 20 million or something to be in Over the Top. Hollywood baby

4.5 /5 slight deduction for the somewhat disorienting visual style and rhythm as described above.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:33:15 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9253 on: October 20, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »

That's one of those "love it or hate it" films.  I thought it was brilliant!

I dunno, I didn't hate RZ's "Halloween" but didn't really love it either. This was my second time seeing it and I think I actually liked it better this time around. 

That said, I still cleansed my palate with a viewing of the John Carpenter original last night  TeddyR

...and don't even get me started on RZ's "Halloween II"!  Hatred

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9254 on: October 20, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »

Agreed, Zombie's HALLOWEEN 2 was a waste of film and time.  Truly awful!

Tonight my whole family and I sat down and watched JURASSIC WORLD together; first time for my wife and Rebecca, second for me, and third for Rachel.  I still totally love this film (although I'm a bit ticked that rental Blu-Rays don't have the bonus features.  Not ticked enough to keep me from buying the thing on Payday, though! LOL)

Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.