Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:18:49 PM
714536 Posts in 53099 Topics by 7746 Members
Latest Member: Bluetoothicb
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2115704 times)
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9960 on: October 09, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »

X-Men: Apocalypse(2016)
Horrible Dr.Hichcock(1962)
Vampire Circus(1972)
Avengers: Age Of Ultron(2015)
The 4-D Man(1959)

Jim H

« Reply #9961 on: October 09, 2016, 06:48:08 PM »

V/H/S/ 2

I thought this was overall an improvement on the first film in this anthology horror series. 

Wraparound story - Competent but uninspired, kind of a weak ending.

Story 1 - Kinda eh ghost story, but certainly watchable.  Couple of random moments broke my suspension of disbelief a bit.  Acting is fine.
Story 2 - Amusing little zombie story.  Great concept.  The execution towards the end isn't fully successful, but I quite liked this one.
Story 3 - From the director of The Raid, this is clearly the centerpiece of the film.  Feel like this could have been stretched to a feature, but it has the best atmosphere, best visuals, and best concept of the lot.  Quite an ending too.  Really liked this one.
Story 4 - Pretty weak, even if the idea isn't bad.  Quite disappointed as it is directed by Jason Eisner, who also did Hobo With a Shotgun.  None of his usual red and blue gels or other 80s influenced visuals, it's just a rather lackluster and over-edited (for a found footage film, strange) alien attack..  Thin.  Eh.

It's worth a watch for Halloween.  7/10.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9962 on: October 10, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »

Midnight Meat train (2008) - from a story by Clive Barker and it's called midnight Meat Train. If that doesn't pique your interest I don't know what to tell you. You better sign on to Hallmark.com and tie a pink ribbon around your... nuts idk anyway

A guy wants to be a famous photographer but his work lacks excitement and depth, at least according to gallery owner Brooke Shields of all people. He starts taking pictures late at night at a train station. the haunting sometimes violent imagery he captures earns him accolades but is he getting too close to something far more sinister than mugging and harassment?

for what it is it's basically perfect. Of course there's suspension of disbelief required and the CGI gore is straight off Syfy channel but this isn't Gone with The Wind or something. better late night viewing than than watching UFC guys roll around on a mat or Terminator / Matrix/ etc for the billionth time

5/5
Jim H

« Reply #9963 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »

Midnight Meat train (2008) - from a story by Clive Barker and it's called midnight Meat Train. If that doesn't pique your interest I don't know what to tell you. You better sign on to Hallmark.com and tie a pink ribbon around your... nuts idk anyway

A guy wants to be a famous photographer but his work lacks excitement and depth, at least according to gallery owner Brooke Shields of all people. He starts taking pictures late at night at a train station. the haunting sometimes violent imagery he captures earns him accolades but is he getting too close to something far more sinister than mugging and harassment?

for what it is it's basically perfect. Of course there's suspension of disbelief required and the CGI gore is straight off Syfy channel but this isn't Gone with The Wind or something. better late night viewing than than watching UFC guys roll around on a mat or Terminator / Matrix/ etc for the billionth time

5/5

I also just saw this. Few extra notes - the lead is Bradley Cooper in one of his first lead roles I believe, and I've heard he's actually pretty proud of this film. It's also directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, who also did Godzilla Final Wars and Versus.

I enjoyed it, good visuals, performance and even mystery. I thought the ending didn't quite gel - needed a bit more of a reveal maybe? But I liked it anyway. I'd give it an 8/10.  Second best Clive Barker film after Hellraiser.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9964 on: October 10, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »

Freak Out
or, that night in Houston (Texas) in the early '70's, when it went all pear shaped for at that time, what was proved to be, America's greatest serial killer.

Welcome to amateur filmmaking 101. Still . . .?! there are several things to recommend it.

1st. The writing. Which is surprisingly good. Actually, it comes across as being better than some more "professionally" written films, and towards the end of the film, there is some dialogue, that we know actually occurred that night.

2nd. The only girl there that night. Lord, as much abuse as I might have received as a child or not, it pales to the abuse--not sexual or physical, as far as the film shows--but . . .?! to the emotional and mental abuse she received. No wonder she took the path that she did.

3rd. You learn what a sadistic s.o.b. that serial killer was. 101 uses of a corkscrew, and the last one is a dilly.

Of course, it is off of actual events in some ways.

1st. Unlike what really happened, I was going to say there was less nudity, but . . .?! then I remembered, as typical, the girl got an extensive shower scene with nudity.

2nd. The 1st victim in the film was actually too young to be a victim, as the serial killer only preyed on 13- to 20-year-olds. Actually . . .?! while pedophile is used to refer to anyone who has a primary sexual interest in anyone that is underage. Technically . . .

pedophile refers to those that have a primary sexual interest in those 10 and under.

Since the serial killer had a primary sexual interest in those older than that, he was . . .

a hebephile/hebephila (primary sexual interest in those who are 11 to 14)

and an ephebophile/ephebophilia (primary sexual interest in those who are 15 to 19)

3rd. The time frame of the film was moved from the 1st half of the 70's decade to the last half of the '70's to catch on to the disco craze and the music of that era.

There is hardly a serial killer who has not only had a documentary made about them, but . . .?! a film as well. Thus, this is not the only film on this subject. If the filmmakers can find a distributor for their film on the subject, In a Madman's World, it should be released sometime this month. This looks to be a bit of a more professional film, as it is shot in color as opposed to black-and-white as here, and the filmmakers tried to find actors who look like the actual people involved, unlike here.

Next time: Malaterra, or the French remake of Broad church.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9965 on: October 10, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »

Jim H - it was like a Masters of Horror feature. maybe not on par with Cigarette Burns but I liked it
Jim H

« Reply #9966 on: October 10, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »

Jim H - it was like a Masters of Horror feature. maybe not on par with Cigarette Burns but I liked it

Huh, I didn't think about that, but yeah, it feels A LOT like a Masters of Horror episode.  I really can't put my finger on why exactly - something about the tone in combination with the production and writing style.

I also watched Halloween today.  It's terrific as always!  9/10.   Thumbup
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9967 on: October 11, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »

SECONDS (1966): A middle-aged banker takes advantage of an offer by a secretive corporation to give him a new start under a new identity, but, even though he now looks like Rock Hudson, he discovers his second life isn't everything he hoped it would be. If they had turned the screw just a quarter-turn more, this would have been a classic black thriller; as it is, it's a great, often overlooked fable depicting a mid-life crisis as a Faustian bargain. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9968 on: October 11, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »

Face of Fu Manchu - They showed a bunch of these on TCM. I'd seen the old old school serial ones but not any of these Hammer jobbers. It wasn't wildly exciting but is certainly decent. Not as wild and crazy and full of buxom beauties as their more noteable ones ,but Christopher lee ( I think?) was good as Fu Manchu and the plot, about some Tibetan herb that can kill everybody, was colorful.

3.5/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9969 on: October 12, 2016, 05:09:05 AM »

"Army of Darkness" (1993)
In the third installment of the "Evil Dead" saga, our undead battling hero Ash is stranded in the 1300s. Before he can find his way back to his own time, he'll have to recover the Necronomicon and then help a castle full of knights fight off an invasion of Deadites led by an evil version of himself!
"AoD" is less horrific and more of a slapsticky action comedy than the previous "Evil Dead" flicks, but it's still a stone cold, endlessly quotable hoot. Hail to the king, baby!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
dean

« Reply #9970 on: October 12, 2016, 05:27:35 AM »

"Army of Darkness" (1993)
In the third installment of the "Evil Dead" saga, our undead battling hero Ash is stranded in the 1300s. Before he can find his way back to his own time, he'll have to recover the Necronomicon and then help a castle full of knights fight off an invasion of Deadites led by an evil version of himself!
"AoD" is less horrific and more of a slapsticky action comedy than the previous "Evil Dead" flicks, but it's still a stone cold, endlessly quotable hoot. Hail to the king, baby!

Have you seen the Ash vs the Evil dead tv series? Season two just started and the whole thing is a riot, if you're into copious amounts of gore and some questionable humour. Got a pretty solid AOD feel about it. For example Ash in a recent episode was recently attacked by a corpse's lower intestines and got sucked right up the butthole. Ridiculous stuff but my god they're not afraid to spill the blood as needed.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9971 on: October 12, 2016, 06:39:47 AM »

^^ I don't get the Starz channel so I'm impatiently waiting for "Ash vs Evil Dead" to turn up on one of the streaming networks like Hulu or Netflix. I'm dyin' to see it...

"Delta Force 2: Operation Stranglehold" (1990)
The Mighty Chuck is back in this belated sequel as head Delta Force butt kicker Scott McCoy, and this time he's in South America to take down a massive cocaine operation run by perennial b-movie villain Billy Drago (at his slimy best).
This flick spends waaaaay too much time on set-up (and runs at least 20 minutes longer than it needs to as a result) but eventually it gets down to serviceable shoot'em up/blow'em up business.  "DF2" is not top drawer Chuck but it's not his worst effort, either.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9972 on: October 12, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »

Hail, Caesar! (2016)

Self-indulgent tripe from the Coen brothers. Entertaining, though, if you've got some time to kill.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9973 on: October 12, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »

"Hundra" (1983)
A fierce woman warrior - the last survivor of an Amazon tribe - ventures into the world of Man for the first time to seek revenge and also to find a suitable mate.
Essentially this Spanish/Italian swords and sorcery flick is a female version of "Conan the Barbarian." Laurene London, who plays the title character, is certainly nice to look at but she can't act her way out of a wet paper bag, so after a great opening battle sequence, the movie simply wanders around in circles for the next 90 minutes.
Avoid!

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9974 on: October 15, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »

"Cyborg 3: The Recycler" (1995)

In the third flick in the "Cyborg" saga, our heroine "Cash" is pregnant with the first cybernetic baby (?) which makes her an attractive prize for a sleazy robot-part scavenger (Richard Lynch) and his private army. The previous "Cyborg" movie starred a young Angelina Jolie in the title role and it was actually pretty good, but this ultra-cheap follow up (which replaces Jolie with Khrystyne Haje, of the '80s TV sitcom "Head of the Class") is just junk. Avoid, delete, ignore, destroy.

Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.