Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:20:20 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2113242 times)
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11640 on: August 20, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »

DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (1965)

Aboard a British train, mysterious fortune teller Dr. Schreck uses tarot cards to read the futures of five fellow passengers.

Crazy and crappy but quite fun, this movie is made of five anthology short stories, with extremely cheesy plots and, for the most part, bad acting and special effects. If you're getting into this fooled by the credits like I did, you're going to be disappointed: Christopher Lee plays a single one of these shorts, which is by far the best of them all, hands down (pun intended!). Peter Cushing is the mysterious Dr. Schreck who only shows up during the transitions, which ironically are the best parts of the movie: I wanted to see more the reactions of the passengers than the stories themselves. The ending is great too, althought it gets a little bit predictable after the second fate is revealed.

Overall, a cheap, fast, and fun movie, but no masterpiece. Watch it for that great Lee + Cushing talking that never gets old. 7/10
Cheers

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11641 on: August 20, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »

"The Great Alligator"
(1979, aka "Alligator," "The Great Alligator River," and "Caiman," among other titles)
The grand opening of a safari-themed resort hotel somewhere in the tropics is threatened by the sudden appearance of a giant man-eating alligator.  The critter was summoned by the p**sed-off local native tribe who worship it as a God and want the stupid white people to go away. Lots of predictable water logged chaos ensues, and some familiar faces like Mel "Nightmare City" Ferrer and Barbara "The Spy Who Loved Me" Bach try to stay off the menu.
...so yeah, this is a pretty typical Italian monster mash, composed of bits stolen from "Jaws" and "Piranha," mixed with the then-popular cannibal/savage tribe genre. It's got the usual cheap special effects (the alligator looks like a rubber bathtub toy), comical dialogue, and awkward dubbing. It's not the worst spaghetti creature feature I've ever seen, but it's certainly not a must-see either.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11642 on: August 21, 2019, 01:49:14 AM »

"Contagion" starring Ben affleck. A pretty realistic view of a spontaneously produced super plague being created and spread in today's world, along with a fairly realistic view of the reactions of government,  society and people as a whole.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11643 on: August 21, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »

BERLIN ALEXANDEPLATZ (1931): The first adaptation of Alfred Döblin's classic novel condenses it into a simple crime story: Franz Bieberkoff is released from prison, tries to go straight, but is quickly sucked into the underworld. Compared with Fassbinder's miniseries, this one follows the plot all right (though with a silly "happy" ending), but that's the only thing it achieves.  2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11644 on: August 21, 2019, 04:40:19 PM »

"Lords of Chaos" (2018)
Dramatized re-telling of the saga of Mayhem, a group of Norwegian teens whose obsession with creating the most extreme, nihilistic, anti-Christian music ever spills over into a series of church burnings and murders.
If you can get past the fact that these "Norwegians" all speak perfect American-accented English (haha), this is a pretty decent, gritty drama that doesn't shy away from the ultra-violence and features an excellent performance by Rory Culkin (yup, Macauley's brother) as the ultimately doomed Oystein "Euronymous" Aarseth.
Anti-social fun for everyone!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11645 on: August 22, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »

TRANSIT (2019): Fleeing a German invasion of France, Georg assumes the identity of a writer who has transit papers to Mexico. The twist here is that this story invokes WWII, but is actually set in the current day; it works better than you might think, putting you into the shoes of the refugees rather than allowing you observe it as a historical lesson. 4/5.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11646 on: August 22, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »

"Lords of Chaos" (2018)
Dramatized re-telling of the saga of Mayhem, a group of Norwegian teens whose obsession with creating the most extreme, nihilistic, anti-Christian music ever spills over into a series of church burnings and murders.
If you can get past the fact that these "Norwegians" all speak perfect American-accented English (haha), this is a pretty decent, gritty drama that doesn't shy away from the ultra-violence and features an excellent performance by Rory Culkin (yup, Macauley's brother) as the ultimately doomed Oystein "Euronymous" Aarseth.

Is this a christian propaganda film?

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11647 on: August 22, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »

"Lords of Chaos" (2018)

Is this a christian propaganda film?

Haha! I wouldn't say that. More of a "Don't be a douche-y edgelord teen" propaganda film.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:16:58 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11648 on: August 22, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »

MY COUSIN VINNY - There are a handful of movies which, if they are on TV, I will tune in and watch till they are over, and this is one of them.  I meant to go to sleep at 10:30 last night, saw this was just starting, and watched it (AGAIN) to its conclusion.  Simply brilliant, Marisa Tomei is gorgeous and hilarious, and Joe Pesci is downright brilliant as a wisecracking Brooklyn lawyer defending his young cousin who are falsely accused of murder in Alabama.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11649 on: August 22, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »

MY COUSIN VINNY - There are a handful of movies which, if they are on TV, I will tune in and watch till they are over, and this is one of them.  I meant to go to sleep at 10:30 last night, saw this was just starting, and watched it (AGAIN) to its conclusion.  Simply brilliant, Marisa Tomei is gorgeous and hilarious, and Joe Pesci is downright brilliant as a wisecracking Brooklyn lawyer defending his young cousin who are falsely accused of murder in Alabama.

Is that the one with Fred gwynne as a judge?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11650 on: August 24, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »

Is that the one with Fred gwynne as a judge?

Ye-es!
And that would be his last theatrical film.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11651 on: August 26, 2019, 06:24:05 AM »

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1995)

A small town's women give birth to unfriendly alien children posing as humans.

I'm always advocating for imagination and creativity, so for that reason I'm usually against remakes. In some cases I understand, for example with THE THING. It's the same story but told different, not to mention, closer to the source material, so I can accept that and actually enjoy it - in fact, that remake is one of my favorite Carpenter's movies. But then we have situations like VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, when there's really no point in remaking it because it's pretty much the same thing. I haven't watched the original but as far as I know, it's the exact same plot, even the ending is the same.
Still, while not one of Carpenter's best (I reserve that IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS), it's a very entertaining and atmospheric movie, with his trademark music that instantly puts you in the right mood. Some scenes are really shocking, like the barbequed guy or the hand-in-boiling-water, but what makes the movie for me is the incredibly role of Lindsey Haun as Mara, the leader of the gang. That pale, emotionless expression, and the perfect use of words makes her a creepy little bastard. One of the final scenes in which she says "dad" and pulls of a sarcastic smile is amazing, and only works in that particular context. I mean, just look at that smirk: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/3f/a9/bc3fa9c352d0bd52dd031c607def8634.jpg
Christopher Reeve and Mark Hamill are also great, sadly the rest of the cast is pretty much filler, especially Kirstie Alley who, if you pay attention, you may as well remove her completely from the plot and it wouldn't make any difference.

Overall, a fun and engaging, yet pointless, film. Good for some chills and awesome child acting, but you will probably forget it by the next weekend. 7/10  Twirling

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11652 on: August 26, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »

THIRTEEN DAYS (2000)  A brilliant re-telling of the events surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis, with Bruce Greenwood doing a convincing turn as John F. Kennedy and Kevin Costner as his advisor Kenny O'Donnell.  Well acted, incredibly tense, this film is a grim reminder of the closest that the United States and the Soviet Union ever came to nuclear war.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11653 on: August 27, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »

BETWEEN WORLDS (2018): The movie that offers the moral dilemma: are you really cheating on your psychic girlfriend if you're sleeping with her teenage daughter while her body is inhabited by the soul of your dead wife? This preposterous B-movie is pure dumb fun, and perfect for the uniquely deranged talents of Nicolas Cage. 3/5.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11654 on: August 27, 2019, 08:43:49 AM »

COHERENCE. An intellectual movie. It's not for action movie fans. A comet passes closer to earth than it ever has. Things that have only been theoretical become real. Like alternate realities. A group of friends find themselves in the twilight zone and things don't go smoothly. Some people find out that the results of their previous choices can follow them across realities.

If you've ever made choices that didn't turn out so good and wish you were in a universe where things went better this movie will really depress you. But it's an intelligent movie for thinker types. It's also a hand cam movie meant to give a real FP perspective.

One thing they did wrong was at times I was almost shouting at them to turn on the radios, but they didn't. One slightly dumb thing in the movie.

rented it on amazon as the only viable way to see it.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:55:24 AM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.