Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:56:40 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories Board or Child Board? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weird News Stories Board or Child Board?  (Read 5685 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 13, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »

Someone (I'll let them chime in, if they would like to) pm'd me and asked about creating a child board off of Off Topic Discussion for the posting of weird news stories.  The concern was that many weird news story threads tend to bump active discussion threads down.  I slept on it and it does look like a good idea, to keep all of those from dominating the Off Topic board.  They do usually seem to be something to read, not something that becomes a discussion - though the latter does happen now and then.

What does everyone think?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »

I think it would be a good addition.  I don't normally respond to the news stories but they tend to be a good read.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »

I personally don't like child boards.  I tend to forget about them and overlook them altogether.   Then again, I think I'm probably in a distinct minority in that I'd prefer just two boards: movies and off-topic.  I do too much clicking back and forth to read everything.   Yeah, I'm lazy, but I also prefer things to be anarchic rather than over-categorized. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 05:13:11 PM »

I personally don't like child boards.  I tend to forget about them and overlook them altogether.   Then again, I think I'm probably in a distinct minority in that I'd prefer just two boards: movies and off-topic.  I do too much clicking back and forth to read everything.   Yeah, I'm lazy, but I also prefer things to be anarchic rather than over-categorized. 

Creating too many boards to divide up things does worry me.  I will say that a great tool for checking new posts is the "Show unread posts since last visit" at the top of the board, inside the box that also contains your avatar picture.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »

Why yes...I think it's a great idea!
(I wonder who thought of it?)   Wink
dean

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 02:04:46 AM »

Agreed, a child board would be good.

But on that: does anyone else think it's a worry that there are that many weird news topics out there that require the formulation of a new board?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 11:42:54 AM »

Child Board is okay with me.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 12:49:39 PM »

Another idea would be to have everyone post their "Weird News Stories" in the Press Releases & News section.

I agree with Ash. I've posted news links on both boards, but have tried to only post stories related to entertainment to the Press Releases & News, and stories like "Bigfoot ate my Dingo!" to this one.  But I do see the problem with so many of these links pushing legit thread off the front page. And since the Press Releases & News board generally moves much more slowly than this one, that does seem to be the logical place to post odd non-entertainment news.

Another solution would be to start a running "Post Your Weird News Links Here!" thread on the off topic board and strongly encourage folks to only post news stories there. Andrew and the other moderators could move any offending new topics to that thread, right? That would eliminate the need for a child board and keep the Press Releases & News board for entertainment news only.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »

Creating too many boards to divide up things does worry me.  I will say that a great tool for checking new posts is the "Show unread posts since last visit" at the top of the board, inside the box that also contains your avatar picture.
[/quote]

Oh wow, Andrew, thanks a lot for that tip.  I never noticed that before.  That option allows me to read everything without clicking to each separate board and turns me neutral on the issue of subdividing.  Carve it up however you like!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »

Another solution would be to start a running "Post Your Weird News Links Here!" thread on the off topic board and strongly encourage folks to only post news stories there. Andrew and the other moderators could move any offending new topics to that thread, right? That would eliminate the need for a child board and keep the Press Releases & News board for entertainment news only.

Wow, that is quite a good idea.  Making a thread like that ends up hurting the chances that people will reply, but (as said) not many of the weird stories create discussions.  I think that we all just read them a lot of the time and continue on from there.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »

Speaking of weird news:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/HealthScience/Marriage_sex_with_robots_soon/articleshow/2456397.cms

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 04:05:48 AM »

Andrew...

Are you going to create a sticky for the "Weird News Stories" or create a child board for them?
The news stories here seem to have become even more prevalent since you mentioned it.

In my opinion, the Off Topic section is a mess.
It's a disaster area.

Please clean it up!   Thumbup

Thank you... Smile
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:50:29 AM by Ash » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »

I don't think that the Off Topic section is an unusable mess.  Heck, in some ways that is what makes it off topic.  The goal is to create a section that is functional for use for just posting weird news stories.  Since I've been looking through them, it does look like about 30%-50% get replies, so a child board looks like a better solution.

EDIT TO ADD:

I should also mention that we get quite a few weird news stories (or just plain news).  It might need to become a major board, vice just a child board off of "Off Topic."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:46:29 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories Board or Child Board? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.