Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:32:25 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Twin Peaks « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 11827 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 08, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »

I got around to picking up the recently released Definitive Gold Box Edition of Twin Peaks this week.  I've already owned the prequel movie subtitled "Fire With Walk With Me" for  some time that came out one year after the series ended,  but had held off getting the other season sets as they didn't include the pilot episode which sets everything up.

Thankfully they've got both the US and international versions of the Pilot in this set (the international version actually had an extra 20 minutes on it that tied everything up as it wasn't done as a series for overseas markets).  The remaining 29 episodes are here as well with a bonus disc of great extras that really dig into what made this show tick and such a hit for a while before thing spiraled downwards in terms of ratings during the 2nd season.

Back when Twin Peaks originally aired it's pilot episode in 1989 (season 1's 7 episodes aired in 1990), I watched it not because of the hype machine, but as I was a fan of Lynch's work already mainly because of Blue Velvet.  I was also a fan of co-creator Mark Frost as well seeing that he created Hill Street Blues. 

Myself, like almost everyone else in America, kept wondering "Who killed Laura Palmer".  We were all clamoring for some resolution to that mystery but when they finally revealed who the killer was in episode 14 of Season 2, lots of people had quit caring at that point as people were wanting the mystery to have been solved in the 1st episode of Season 2 due to Season 1 ending on a huge cliff hanger in regards to almost all of the main characters.  People's limited amound of patience in this case wore out quickly.

After that episode, the show seemed to just kind of meander along losing its way as the Laura Palmer mystery  is what drove the show and without it the show seemed to just get odd for odds sake to make up for that lack of mystery driving things.

I'm really glad to have the complete set on DVD now so I can watch everything in a row in digital clarity without commercials.  I've been wanting to do this for years as I had the entire series on VHS but lost them in a move during 1999  (I think someone stole them from me actually who was helping me move).

I'm planning on watching at least one episode a night for the next 4 1/2 weeks. I watched the pilot first last night and am watching the 1st proper episode of season 1 tonight.

This show broke the mold something fierce when you look at what was accepted on network television at the time.  Without Twin Peaks, we wouldn't have gotten other quirky shows like Northern Exposure, X-Files, Picket Fences and some other ones.  This show showed what could be accomplished on network television if highly creative people were completely left to their own devices.

The one thing I think that they shouldn't have resolved was Laura Palmer's murder.  That should have been the McGuffin of the series but due to dwindling ratings the network executives pretty much forced them to resolve the murder mystery which led to the final undoing of this once great show.

They talk on the extras (Mark Frost in particular) about where season 3 could have gone and he said that himself and David Lynch drifted to other projects during Season 2 (Lynch on Wild at Heart, Frost on Storyville) and came back near the end to try to get things on track to save the show.  Frost says that they would have been willing to devote all of their creative energies to making season 3 as great as the 1st, but alas that was not to be as the show was unceremoniously canceled after the end of Season 2.

Still, I'm looking forward to digging all of the episodes now in order one a night (2 maybe if I have enough time to squeeze them in before bed).

What do you all think of this show and what kind of impact do you feel that it left?         

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 06:48:00 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »

Ah, I'm envious.  =)  I would like to watch the whole show in a row.

How much did it cost you?
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:11 PM »

Ah, I'm envious.  =)  I would like to watch the whole show in a row.

How much did it cost you?

I got it at Target for 79.99.

Well worth every penny.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:11:30 PM by Torgo » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:00:30 PM »

I liked TWIN PEAKS alot. I never saw the whole program...but FIRE WALK WITH ME is one of the oddest  TV films I have ever seen! David Lynch was too good for Tv...which is generally aimed at the masses...the same masses who made  drek  likeAMERICAN IDOL and run of the mill paplum like MATLOCK hits.

A strange moment from FIRE WALK WITH ME:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBjCBDZiI7I

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:59:51 PM »

I'll see you, RC, and raise you one Cooper's Dream.

This s**t was *weird* before weird was cool, and before weird became passe.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXjjHFz__A

Torgo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:06 PM »

Great clips!   Buggedout

I think I remember at one point David Lynch saying that Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive all took place in the same cinematic universe.

He should have had Dennis Hopper's character Frank Booth from Blue Velvet make a cameo in Twin Peaks.   TongueOut

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »

I was with the general public.  I loved the first season but quickly became disenchanted with the second season.  I had signed up for "Blue Velvet" style weird (surreal touches, but in a conventional structure) and felt that the series began veering off into "Eraserhead" weird.  I distinctly remember feeling that the producers were deliberately dragging their feet and jerking the audience around by refusing to make any progress on the Laura Palmer mystery.  Still, the first season was magnificent.  Sherilynn Fenn was the hottest thing in the world in 1990.

The best thing about the series is that it proved more "avant-garde" and offbeat fare could get ratings.  Twin Peaks probably inspired Northern Exposure, which didn't hit the heights of Lynch's series but was more consistent and ended up with a nice long run instead of flaming out.       

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 01:37:10 AM »

The creators of the show have repeatedly stated that the original intention was for Laura Palmer's murder to never be solved.  Eventually it would have been kicked back and let other elements come to fore.  That didn't happen.  Personally, I'm not sure it would have worked.

I love Twin Peaks.  The second season is pretty brutal, though.  The first time I saw it was during a marathon where I tried to stay up to watch the whole thing.  Halfway through the second season I was so tired and the show was so bad, I had to give it up.  I woke up halfway through the last episode, which I thought was brilliant.

At its best, the show really captures a mood that no other show has, especially at the time.  A dark, jazzy riff in the middle of the relentless bubblegum or prime time.

I also love the movie, but that's a whole different thing right there.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 08:23:32 AM »

See my sig block!

Twin Peaks freakin' rocks.  The second season slows down big-time (i.e.- the Civil War sub-plot) but does have it's moments (i.e.- Windam Earl and Cooper's quest for the Black Lodge).  I liked Lynch's character.  He's like one of those Family Guy jokes that's really repetitive and goes from funny to annoying to funny again.

The ending of the series blows...but at the same time, it will always be open to speculation.  I know the producers thought that they were going to picked up for another season but what other TV show would dare end on a note like Twin Peaks?

I'm not buying the Gold Edition since I have Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD already.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
raj

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »

I started watching it in the second season, it was joyfully bizarre, not following conventional tv of the time.  Still, the last few episodes were weak, the writers (IIRC) essentially said later that they were making things up on the fly at the end.  It was an important show by paving the way for the other shows Torgo listed.

And good pie.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:30:03 AM »

And you have to love Ted Raimi's cameo... Wink

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »

Northern Exposure actually got lambasted a bit at the start of its run by some critics saying that it was CBS's attempt at a Twin Peaks style show.

They did an episode during that 1st season (I think it was the 5th one) where they actually did a sequence where they did the dialogue like how it would be said on Twin Peaks in addition to the jazzy musical backdrop and camera styles.

EDIT: btw, I got through episodes 1 and 2 of Season 1 last night.  I forgot that they actually used footage from the ending of the international version of the pilot as part of Cooper's dream sequence at the end of episode 2.  Pretty clever re-use of that material.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:04:22 PM by Torgo » Logged

Torgo

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »

Well, I'm on Episode 2 of Season 2 starting tonight. Had a couple of nights I wasn't able to watch any but I'm back on track!

Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »

My relationship with "Twin Peaks" is an interesting one. I was way too young during the original broadcast. I've been a big fan of Lynch's films for the past several years (especially "Eraserhead" and "Wild at Heart.") and, after finding the series on-line, decided to give it shot. I immedately fell in love with it but only ended up watching up through the conclusion of the Laura Palmer case because the website got taken down.

Anyway, the whole point of this is for me there's never been any distiction between the two seasons. I just thought it was pretty much brilliant all the way through. I bought the Gold boxset but haven't had the chance to crack it open yet. I plan on renting "Fire Walk with Me" very, very soon.
Torgo

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »

I'm on episode 16 of Season 2 at the moment.  I got a lot watched during the Thanksgiving holiday break as I was off for 9 straight days.

I've got to admit that the series did lose its way a bit after they revealed Laura Palmer's killer in episode 14 but I do remember them getting back to the greatness of the 1st season during the last few episodes. Should be interesting to see how I view those same episodes now many years later.   

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Twin Peaks « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.