Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:18:19 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Less Military deaths during war time than during peace time ... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Less Military deaths during war time than during peace time ...  (Read 16384 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 12:05:49 AM »

I, too, won't be changing my point of view (until convinced I am wrong). 

It's not my goal here to change anyone's point of view.  But, a dude I know is fond of saying "when you put a number on it, it's science.  Otherwise, it's voodoo."  So, in that spirit, I thought I'd share some raw data on one point being contended.

It was said in the above discussion:

You and I know that the vast majority of enlistees are poor, underprivileged, looking for a way out of their circumstances, and don't know any better.

The US Military collects and reports demographic data.  You can read the report for each branch.  WARNING: these are pdf's up to about 2 megabytes.

https://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/demographics/FY05%20Army%20Profile.pdf
https://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/demographics/FY04%20Air%20Force%20Profile.pdf
https://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/demographics/FY04%20Navy%20Profile.pdf
https://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/demographics/FY04%20Marine%20Corps%20Profile.pdf

I'll summarize some of the US Army data since that branch is generally believed to be the "poorest" and "least priviledged."

In FY 2005, the US Army was
  • 13.5% Black, compared to 12.3% Black in the US Popuiation in the 2000 Census
  • 11.7% Hispanic, compared to 12.5% Hispanic in the US Population in 2000 Census
  • 87% have a High School Diploma or HIGHER education, compared to 85.2% of the general US Population having attained the HS Diploma in 2005.
  • Among the enlisted grades, 82.9% ONLY had HS Diploma or GED, while another 7.2% had some college and 4.3% had a 4 year degree.
  • Virtually all officers had at least some college, with 58.4% only having a BS/BA.  Graduate degree holders comprised another 40.3% of the officer corps.

The report did not include 'family income' or similar background prior to enlistment, so we cannot say from this data alone whether the enlisted ranks come from the poor.

However, we can draw meaningful conclusions.  90% of the enlisted grade have an education.  I believe this suggests that 90% of those that have enlisted in the US Army have the same opportunites "in life" as anyone else in the population.  Actually, the percentage of the enlisted grade with HSD/GED is HIGHER than for the general population.

The poorer segments of our population are overrepresented in the 'high school drop-out' statistics.  Since the vast majority of our enlistees have completed High School, I submit that the "Army is the ONLY way out" argument is not supported by the data we have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2007, 12:16:17 AM »

The report did not include 'family income' or similar background prior to enlistment, so we cannot say from this data alone whether the enlisted ranks come from the poor.

Here is that data about who's poor, mid, rich, or ultra rich.
Most are middle income and mostly rural or suburban joining.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2005/d20051213mythfact.pdf

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:18:25 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 12:22:54 AM »

Karma to Cheeze AND AllHallows for settling things like gentlemen!!  Great topic; I'm trying to catch up after being off the forum for several days or I would add my own thoughts, but for the moment I will restrict myself to this:

What Cheeze said. Thumbup
I promised one of my oldest friends that I am off the topic of politics at least thru the new year, though must point out that my own stupid word was "poor" which is a relative term. 

You all surprise me with your grace.  I even like disagreeing with you guys...  Thumbup
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:25:25 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 12:27:12 AM »

You all surprise me with your grace.  I even like disagreeing with you guys...  Thumbup

Well, we have to look out for the kids on the short bus.

It's joke son .. laugh, don't start twitchin' on me.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 12:32:32 AM »

It's joke son .. laugh, don't start twitchin' on me.

Yer such an ... BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
I just noticed 999 !!!  I can count that high !  sjokeson, don take no short bus

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Less Military deaths during war time than during peace time ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.