Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:59:57 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Strange MPAA Warnings « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Strange MPAA Warnings  (Read 5809 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: November 19, 2007, 02:52:23 AM »

The MPAA is no friend of mine.  Lately, however, there decision to list the reasons for their ratings in the ratings logo has been causing me quite some amusement.  Mostly because they are so very oddly specific and at times almost nonsensical.

Here's two that caught my attention (emphasis mine):

The Dark Backward
Rated R for brief scenes of bizarre, comic sensuality.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (Excellent movie, by the way.)
Rated R for aberrant behavior involving nudity, violence, sexuality, and disturbing images.

Any examples amused anybody else?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:31:55 AM »

I've always been a fan of Shaun of the Dead's MPAA rating: "Rated R for zombie violence/gore and language." as well as Twister's, "Rated PG-13 for intense depiction of very bad weather." and Alien vs. Predator's, "Rated PG-13 for violence, language, horror images, slime and gore.", as I was unaware that slime had an effect on the ratings for a movie...

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:34:32 AM »

Oh yeah, and Team America's classic rating, "Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language - all involving puppets." Heh heh.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:00:30 AM »

Bill Bryson wrote in one of his books about this. Back then, he lived in the UK and was probably not aware that "language" could be a synonym of "swearing" or "cussing", as about everybody else outside the US. Thus, he (and I) were slightly irritated, when we read a movie was rated for "excessive usage of language"...("WTF! They talked too much?" - reminded me of my sister saying:"Nah, didn't like it. Lots of talk, little action...")

Since then, I liked ratings that actually describe movies better than the tag lines, like:

"shark-related violence" for "Sharks"

and

"non-stop ninja action" for "Three Ninjas Knuckle Up".

Imagine how people would be shocked to find out that there was shark/ninja/zombie-violence in a shark/ninja/zombie-movie! Now, this will never happen again.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Susan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:05:32 AM »

Why do they have to be so educated about it? Why not just say something like

Rated R for Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!
frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:23:32 AM »

"Battle of Britain" (1967) had "mild British profanity". WHAT?? Examples, please!!

frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:44:45 AM »

While surfing on the net looking for some examples for ratings I stumbled on this site: http://www.screenit.com/all_titles.html

It is obviously some movie review site by parents for parents, where they can look up some specific movie and find out if it is suitable for their kids. Now, this might generally be a good idea, but the dissection of each movie makes the reviews on this site look rather pathetic! It seems like they list every single stiff drink, and every glass of wine, and every kiss, and every bare butt, and every “full frontal nudity”, and every single cussword (“more than 65 f-words, at least 27 s-words,….”), and every single drop of blood and severed head and so on and on…

I actually had to look up “cleavage”.

This is interspersed with recommendations. E.g. in the Will kids want to see it?-section: “If they're fans of someone in the cast, or of the Coen brothers and their films ("Fargo," "Raising Arizona," etc...), they just might.” (for The Big Lebowski)

Honestly, if you were ever interested how many times you can spot blood in “28 day later”, read it up here! Lots of laughs…

However, imagining a bunch of parents watching a horror flick and making ticks on some list for every bad word, drink, cigarette, body, “cleavage” etc seems somewhat kinky to me….

raj

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »

"Battle of Britain" (1967) had "mild British profanity". WHAT?? Examples, please!!

IIRC, they use the word "bloody" as in "bloody hell."  For the Brits "bloody" is a cussword as it's a shortening of God's Blood.

I've seen British books circa WWI that in addition to having G_d d_mn (apparently editing out the vowels is what it took to get past the censors) had l__sy instead of lousy.  Lousy I'm guessing meant full of lice and was a bad word back in the day.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »

IIRC, they use the word "bloody" as in "bloody hell."  For the Brits "bloody" is a cussword as it's a shortening of God's Blood.

I've seen British books circa WWI that in addition to having G_d d_mn (apparently editing out the vowels is what it took to get past the censors) had l__sy instead of lousy.  Lousy I'm guessing meant full of lice and was a bad word back in the day.

So then that begs the question ... 'If you don't know it's a cuss word, is it a cuss word?'

Susan
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »

So then that begs the question ... 'If you don't know it's a cuss word, is it a cuss word?'

i heard a snippet on the radio bout people trying to get santa to stop saying "ho" because of the alternative meaning. How many 5 year olds are gonna make that connection?
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »

i heard a snippet on the radio bout people trying to get santa to stop saying "ho" because of the alternative meaning. How many 5 year olds are gonna make that connection?

I believe that was in Australia but after some outcry they backed off of it. It's PC gone mad. Soon Sioux-Zun (should be Zahn) you will have to change your name as you might offend the red man injun savage brave Indian Native American.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »

Why do they have to be so educated about it? Why not just say something like

Rated R for Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!

It often seems like to me they're using it as an alternate form of advertising.

Of course, b-movies have been doing this for years.  Right next to me is a dvd of Basketcase that says "WARNING: This program contains nudity and excessive violence!"

It's the little touches like the exclamation mark that make all the difference.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »

WARNING: This film is a colossal mistake that will ruin your life, frighten children, and bruise fruit!

(Actually, Dogbert said that about Dilbert's tie, but if I saw a movie with that label I would have to rent it!)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Susan
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 05:57:15 PM »

I believe that was in Australia but after some outcry they backed off of it. It's PC gone mad. Soon Sioux-Zun (should be Zahn) you will have to change your name as you might offend the red man injun savage brave Indian Native American.

Ahh..not quite my friend. For I am part Native american ;-)
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 09:09:39 PM »

Ahh..not quite my friend. For I am part Native american ;-)

Which part? Question

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Strange MPAA Warnings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.