Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:14:14 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Got a movie idea « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Got a movie idea  (Read 5105 times)
Susan
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »

Ever thought that there would be a great idea for a movie? You know one thing I can never see enough of is Clone movies. I like the idea of cloning, the ethicical and moral dillema it proposes. But i've ALWAYS been fascinated by the idea of cloning notable people in history. We have their dna, i mean isn't einsteins brain preserved in a jar somewhere for science?

Now there was "Boys from Brazil". But I'd love to see a movie about a top secret experiment where clones of notable people are cloned in one or two sets in order to see if it's environment or simply a predestined genetic inclination to become who they were in their original life. If einstein were raised in a wealthy home with education at his fingertips would he still have become a great thinker? Or is it the struggle that is part of what builds the desire

C'mon, surely the only cloning movies hollywood can come up with can't be about an evil seed with no soul or dinosaurs
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:39:34 PM »

As luck would have it, someone was just asking about a movie on the What was that movie? subboard which I identified as Anna to the Infinite Power (1983), in which [SPOILERS] a young girl finds out that she's part of an experiment in cloning and replicating the formative years of a brilliant physicist.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Dave M
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »

I still want to see a decent version of Parts:The Clonus Horror/ The Island.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:28:03 AM »

The first question on film I answered when I first came on here was concerning the cable movie Evolution's Child (1999) which involved a child who was conceived partly through prehistoric DNA.

For me, the champion film regarding genetics, cloning etc. is the eerie French film Les Rivieres Pourpres (The Crimson Rivers) directed by Mathieu Kassovitz, starring Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel.  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:26:31 AM »

The first clone movie that comes to my mind is The 6th Day.

I've read the book before I saw the film.
The movie was just as good!

Schwarzeneggar is great in it.   Thumbup

Trailer:
Small | Large

Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »

Yes, there's still some market for movies about cloning, I'm thinking.

6th Day's science fiction premise was a bit of a stretch, since it involves the unlikely human "blanks" and accelerated cloning, both of which are still pretty well out of the reach of applied science. Still, it was selling more on the strength of being an entertaining story about competing philosophies of cloning than being about plausible scientific achievements; in that sense, it was successful. (It also got to have a lot of funny lines: "Car chase! Cool!")

Certainly, though, a film about more plausible forms of cloning that may soon be within reach of real science could be done. I've had a few movie ideas of my own on that subject, in fact. In real life, some people have been trying to get laws passed outlawing "reproductive" cloning, but mandating and/or funding "therapeutic" cloning. Cutting through the jargon, this means scientists are only allowed to clone humans if they're subsequently going to kill the clones by ripping them apart for stem cells.

What the movie I would make about this (were I rich Hollywood guy) would be about, therefore, would be a renegade scientist who sees these laws as immoral (just as I do) and is determined to violate them as flagrantly as he can. Enlisting the aid of an attractive young lab assistant, he makes a clone of her and impregnates her with it. Then she carries the baby to term, he and she pretending all the while that he's been carrying on a torrid affair with her and that the child is his. (Opportunities for character development and naughty jokes abound.)

When the child is born at last, the scientist holds a press conference to announce his violation of the cloning laws, denounce the people who wrote them, and demand that they be changed. He and she are arrested. With the complicity of an ethical police officer also willing to violate what he sees as an immoral and unholy law, the mother/sister of the clone escapes and flees with her little girl to prevent the state from murdering her.

Then begins the trial of the century as the scientist's civil disobedience becomes a political football and every pundit and activist in earshot starts weighing in on the resulting legal fracas. In the end, either the barbaric laws are repealed/overturned in court and the scientist is set free/let off with a slap on the wrist (happy ending) or the court convicts the scientist and his lab assistant (in absentia) and orders the child murdered after all, and the fugitive mother/sister and child flee to some less barbaric state/country while the scientist appeals his case from prison (morality play ending).

Reason Hollywood will never actually make this movie: Hollywood is almost entirely run by NARAL/Planned Parenthood members and sympathizers. Guess which side NARAL/Planned Parenthood would be on in this kind of controversy? Yeah.

You know, this site being about movies, this thread isn't exactly off topic, is it? Maybe it ought to be moved to the main forum.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 10:44:53 AM »

dave m-  you mean like a big movie with those same ideas?

Clonus was kind of a johnny come lately to the conspiracy movie IMO.  still liked it though
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »

There is a German movie about (almost) this very topic: Blueprint (2003).

SPOILERS (if there is a english version, that is)

The famous person is fictitious, a famous female piano player. When she learns of her cureless and ultimately fatal disease (MS), she decides to clone herself. No answer though to your question, if education or genes do the trick, because the daughter of course gets a excessive piano education and does extremely well. The storyline is more besed on the conflict the girl runs into when she learns at the age of 13 that she is a clone. The movie has it's strong moments, but did not convince me overall. But I like the main actress, Franka Potente, probably known from "Run, Lola, Run" and minor appearances in "Blow" and "The Bourne Identity".

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Got a movie idea « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.