Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:27:42 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is the CAMPIEST Movies of all time? « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's the TOP 5 Campiest Movies?
The Evil Dead (1983)
Re-Animator (1985)
Army of Darkness (1993)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Cannibal! The Musical (1996)
Flash Gordon (1980)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension (1984)
Tremors (1990)
Critters (1986)
Basket Case (1982)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes  (1978)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989)
The Toxic Avenger (1986)
Hairspray (1988)
Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
Johnny Dangerously (1984)
Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)
Dead Heat (1988)
Reefer Madness (1936)
Swamp Thing (1982)
Dead Alive (1993)
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988)
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)
Batman - The Movie (1966)
Vegas in Space (1991)

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is the CAMPIEST Movies of all time?  (Read 11972 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 08:10:48 AM »

'Vegas in Space' is added, I almost put on the original list 'The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' (1994) as I said there is no way I can get them all, there are so many. Even a lot of Charles Band stuff is campy, much of Bruce Campbell too, John Waters, most of Full Moon Feature's production and Troma and so many, many more.

I just queued up Vegas in Space on my rental account, so we'll see if it burns images into my mind.

Just don't blame me if you overdose on eye bleach after watching it... TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 03:13:20 PM »

Nobody's really attempted to respond to RCMerchant's request for a definition of "camp" -- I will attempt said:
     As context of the aforementioned films can imply, humour, both intentional and unintentional, plays a huge part in any consideration of the term.  However, I think that the best "camp" always implies some sort of gay humour or gay context. 
     For example:  Robot Monster is appealing to a gay theatrical sensibility due to the sheer blithering absurdity of the cosutmes & dialogue.  At the same time, you need not necessarily be gay or like gay people to understand that overdone makeup, overdone hair, overdone costuming, etc. etc., can be a prime source of humour. 
     Here I think is another factor of "camp" -- It must be waayyy over the top/overdone/full of unnecessary lights and whistles and bells.  For example, Mommy Dearest -- I did NOT see "Mommy Dearest" on the list/Is it there? -- is "camp" not only for the over-the-top performance of Faye Dunnaway, but her David Gest Frightmare makeup as well.  Had she not been so heavily made up, I don't think it would be considered quite so camp.  Also, waving wire coat hangers around -- completely unnecessary to the plot or story -- see what I mean?
     Any film with Charles Birch is camp.  Almost any film with Paul Bartel is camp, as he winks at the audience even while being eaten by pirahnas.  "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavara" is camp camp camp:  "Dance, Animalia, Dance!!" could not be more a more overdone bit even with a Mariachi band & a conjuerer, to quote John Cleese.
     All that being said, all camp is not created equal, re. the enjoyment factor.  Personally, I found "Moulon Rouge" to be a boring bit of camp, despite Nicole Kidman bleeding from her cute nose, dying grandly from TB.  Bored me to death.  Go figure . . .
     Cross-dressing & gay presence helps, but doesn't clinch the deal.  For example, I don't find "La Cage A Folles" to be particularly campy, as the overdone character of the gay boyfriend/fake wife is actually central to the plot & given the context is not overdone.  It's a farce, but not a particularly camp farce.
     "Victor/Victoria" becomes repellant camp, if for no other reason than it tries too damn hard to be outrageous, and it shows.  Yes, I suppose it could be considered campy, but one other element of real "camp" is fragility:  The whole illusion could be easily blown or ruined.  Pay no attention to the drag queen behind the evening gown!!  There must be some magic to surrender to -- "Victor/Victoria" has none.
     "Batman:  The Movie" is one of the best examples that people have come up with here, and lays the ground for one of my personal faves:  Danny Elfman's "The Forbidden Zone!".  Anyone still in doubt as to what "camp" is need only view the angry, shouting, 3-ft. tall, poorly acted King of the Underworld, beneath his skeletal chandelier, raving to his fat queen, played with all his heart by Herve Velleschez, on a quality cardboard/hand-painted set . . . I can say no more . . .
peter johnson/denny camp crane

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is the CAMPIEST Movies of all time? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.