Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:26:09 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Johnny Depp « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Johnny Depp  (Read 7382 times)
evildeadchick187
Dedicated Viewer

« on: November 30, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »

I just saw that someone posted about Jim Carey and it got me thinking of how great an actor Johnny Depp is. It seems that no one really noticed him until Pirates came out.

I'm not sure if it is just me or not with this opinion. I just want to see what other people think about this.

This is my boomstick
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »

I've been a fan of Depp for a while now.  I remember him being on 21 Jump Street but I was a bit young to really be a fan of the show (or to have my parents let me watch it).  But I remember liking him in Edward Scissorhands and became a big fan of his when Ed Wood came out.  I hated him in Fear and Loathing the first time I watched it and then gained a whole new respect for the film once I watched it again with someone who had read the book and explained the bare bones plot to me (I had no idea who Hunter S. Thompson was at the time).

When he signed on to do Pirates I was excited because I knew that he would play a fantastic pirate even though I wasn't sure if he was going to do it goofy or straight up (he ended up doing a little of both but got more goofy as the series went on).

I liked Secret Window and Wily Wonka (I know there's a lot of hate for Wonka out there but I enjoyed the craziness).  He remains one of my favorite actors out there and even though I hate musicals, I'll probably go to see Sweeny Todd in the theater.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »

Unfortunately, a lot of people never did seem to realize him until Pirates.

He's always given odd performances, and I like that about him.  He was in Nightmare on Elm Street and years later when Wes did New Nightmare, he ran into Johnny.  Johnny was like, "Why didn't you ask me to be in the movie?"  Wes was like, "I thought you'd say you were too big a star."

My favorite performance with him is probably Willy Wonka or Ed Wood.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:35:09 PM »

Like Oldskool138, I first noticed Depp on 21 Jump Street, and I was old enough to be a fan of the show. I could tell even then that he was the best thing on the show. Edward Scissorhands confirmed that, and I can't say I've seen anything he's done that I've disliked. My sister is in love with him, and my daughter is in love with the Jack Sparrow character. Me, I just like what he brings to a role.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 09:36:34 PM »

I loved him in ED WOOD, and WILLY WONKA was pretty great too.  My LEAST favorite of his movies is undoubtedly THE LIBERTINE.  That may well be one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen in my life.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:25:14 AM »

I liked that movie Blow that he did, with Paul Reubens and Ethan Supplee.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »

Depp brings a lot of emotion to the roles he plays.  Have ya'll forgotten BENNY AND JOON?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:35:25 AM »

Perhaps one of my favorite actors even way before the Pirates days.  There are so many actors out there that simply pretty much act the same in every damn movie they're in.  Luckily, Depp is not one of those actors.  He brings so much lfe to characters he plays and each one is unique. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 10:34:24 PM »

I just love Johnny Depp.  I remember seeing him in 21 Jump St and I thought he was awesome in that.

I haven't seen every movie of his, but I'm trying to trawl my way through his body of work.

He's talented and very cute, unfortunately it would never work out between us.  He's a Gemini and I'm a Taurus and I also think Vanessa Paradis would pitch a fit if she found out.    BounceGiggle

He does drama and comedy equally well and if he bungs on an accent, he sounds like it's natural.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 09:29:03 AM »

I am probably the only one who has never seen 21 Jump Street.  Kinda wasn't in the target demographic back then, seeing as I was like, 4.

But he is a very talented actor.

Looking forward to Sweeney Todd.

Neville

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »

To be honest, neve cared much about him. It was sad to see him take a lot of flak, though. The usual review of a Johnny Depp movie before Pirates was sort of "Depp is a mediocre actor, yet he does well in this one."

And that went on for years, literally. I sort of enjoyed his work, enough to see he was underrated, but never became a fan because his jobs were often in films I wouldn't feel like watching. I mean, I love westerns, for example, but I still have to sit through Dead Man, that film just reeks weirdness.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »

Johnny Depp can be quite the powerhouse actor if he's got a role that he can really sink into and absorb.

Ed Wood, Jack Sparrow (I only liked the 1st Pirate movie BTW), Edward Scissorhands are roles where I felt that his talent was shown as being quite tremendous when given the right part.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »

Johnny Depp can be quite the powerhouse actor if he's got a role that he can really sink into and absorb.

Ed Wood, Jack Sparrow (I only liked the 1st Pirate movie BTW), Edward Scissorhands are roles where I felt that his talent was shown as being quite tremendous when given the right part.
I only saw the first Pirates.  That was decent. 

I'm still gonna push and say Willy Wonka was an underrated flick.  It was twisted.

peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »

Surprised that nobody mentions either "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" or "Dead Man" -- Both of these films have a unique eerieness & showcase Depp very well --
Glad to see "Benny & Joon" get a mention -- Depp does a conscious Buster Keaton impression that's quite on the mark.
I would think everyone on this site would like to check out "Dead Man" -- set in the old West, Depp's fish-out-of-water Easterner meets his demise, but in a slow, stately, ritualistic fashion that parallels a sort of "crossing the River Styx".  He finally gets his send-off from some Salish Indians in North Washington State.  The scene where the cedar Big House opens up like the jaws of a giant seabird is quite stunning.  Shot in black and white, it's both ghostly and gritty/otherworldly and mundane.
"Grape" could have been just another teenage angst movie, but Depp is shocking in his tightly wound performance of someone in over his head who's fighting tooth and nail, albeit quietly, to keep his family together & protect his retarded brother (Leonardo DiCaprio -- doing a brilliant job).  Some film moments unlike any others I can think of, like when his 600lb. mother decides to leave her house for the first time in decades & go out in public.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
evildeadchick187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »

Another one no one has mentioned would be Cry Baby. Although it would not be one most people would care for, I for one loved it.

This is my boomstick
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Johnny Depp « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.