Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:49:29 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anybody using Windows VISTA? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anybody using Windows VISTA?  (Read 10534 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: December 03, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »

I've been using my new computer for about 4 days, squeakily learning how to do previously ordinary tasks... since I had a less then optimum experience with the Geek Squad (I don't have any files from my old computer, can't fax, no network, they were unprepared for all tasks, though what I paid for was itemized ~ Caveat emptor!) 

However, the real shock has been transitioning from XP to Vista.  Holy crap, did they need to eliminate most of the commonly used menus?  Only today did I figure out how to print a Word document!  They minimized routine tasks to the point of obscurity, have new features elbowing past necessary ones, plus frequent pop up balloons saying this isn't working (yes, because when you just asked me I said no! I don't want to update!)

Any comments on Vista?  Some things are definitely improved, but it sure ain't instinctive. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »

I have been working with computers for years and years.  I played around with Vista at the store for a while.  I think that I'd rather have command line again (I frequently use it when working on the website anyway - but that is Linux). 

As you pointed out, Vista is even less intuitive than Microsoft's other products - and that is saying something.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:47:32 AM »

I brought a new DELL laptop XPS M1730 for work that came pre-loaded with VISTA Premium and using it and tweaked it for about a month then I wiped it and loaded XP Pro, couldn't be happier.

I use Linux and XP primarily and XP PRO is far more stable than and faster than Vista.

Main reason many of my programs would not run on Vista.
Vista was slow compared to XP
Navigation is different and I'm not in the mood to change.

Most reviews I've seen come to the same conclusion, XP is better than VISTA.

I'll wait until Service Pack 15 for Vista is released then I might load it on something again.

EDIT:
Yes I got sick of the menu pop-ups asking me if it should continue with no "use this answer every time" box. Or Vista is doing this or that please wait and that annoying little circle just setting there spinning.

VISTA SUCKS
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:51:00 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:40:37 AM »

Microsoft tried to make Vista more like the MAC OS X operating system.  I hate Vista with a passion.  If I have caller at work who use Vista and b/c things are set on SUPER HIGH security the s**t is near impossible to resolve issues they have b/c of that. 

We gave a VISTA machine at work and we remote into in usually on a daily basis because of everyone jumping on the Vista band wagon.  We turned off the annoying are you sure you want to do this messages so it would make it easier for us to do our jobs.  I still can't remember names of items in Vista, in which I should since I have to use it quite often.

raj

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »

I've heard that a lot of computer sellers have demanded that MS allow them to ship new machines with XP rather than Vista.  Haven't tried Vista and don't want to; maybe Vista 3.1.

One reason I never cared for Macs early on was the lack of a command line interface.  Sometimes I just like to get my hands dirty with building my own or using the CLI.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »

I've got XP installed on my daughter's iMac, but I hardly use even that.   It's raison d'etre is to update my pocket PC when it needs it.

So to wit, no, I don't use Vista. 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »

Bought a Vista upgrade back when it came out, then found out (midway through the installation) that it isn't compatible with some of the hardware I'm using. Then I found out it has no uninstall like the XP upgrade. Had to reformat, restore from the backup (which was up to date, thank God), and reinstall a few things. So, put me on the "not impressed" list right off the bat.

As for working with it, I tried to help out somebody at work with their new laptop, and found that the simplest tasks became excessively complicated, while nothing else seemed to be sufficiently improved to make up for it.

I'll stick with XP and wait for the next OS that is undoubtedly just around the corner, the 98 to Vista's 95.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:01:28 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »

Big vendors like Gateway, Dell and others can still sell business systems with XP Pro until the end of June. As of right now Vista's biggest competitor is Windows XP.

We won't buy it at work until we  eventually have no choice.  They are  already working on a  Service Pack for Vista (it's over a gig in size).  There is also SP3 for Windows XP which should be out in the first quarter.  It' said to be very much faster than Vista.

I wish someone could break MS's monopoly because they are seriously stifling any kind of innovation as long as they have a strangle hold on businesses. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »

I've got Vista on my new machine and would switch back to XP if it wasn't so much work to reinstall the OS.  I've gotten used to Vista, but I'm not thrilled.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »

Some vendors were actually sending out their new Vista machines with an XP CD so you could downgrade.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:33 PM »

I know IBM still sells XP computers.  If you wish to get XP on your computer, some companines still have it on their business models, and gaming PC's.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »

Vista = Meh.

I have a dual core laptop that came with Vista Home Premium.  As others have said, it is MUCH slower than XP and is an extreme memory hog.  I have yet to format and install XP on there as I can't see wasting the $300 or so that Vista costs.  I mainly only use the laptop for web browsing and such so, it doesn't bother me that much.

I do hate the constant security queries, asking if I want to continue running a program, if I want to allow a program to run, etc.  It's an aggravation.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 05:39:15 PM »

I've got Vista on my new machine and would switch back to XP if it wasn't so much work to reinstall the OS.  I've gotten used to Vista, but I'm not thrilled.

It was less trouble wiping the drive and installing a clean copy of XP Pro SP2 than dealing with that crap called Vista.

I swear I think Vista is worse than Winders ME

Mista, no Vista! Word to ya sista.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I have become a lazy computer geek over the last year or so. Plus I'm not sure there are XP drivers for everything on my laptop. Probably are, but, again, I'm too lazy to find out.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »

We have a Vista machine at work we can remote into for calls if need be since we have a lot of users who use Vista.

I'm starting to get used to the different menus in Vista, so it's easier for me to remember that Add/Remove Programs in XP is called something different in Vista.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anybody using Windows VISTA? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.