Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:32:33 AM
714441 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  When You Hate Your Job « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When You Hate Your Job  (Read 11960 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 06, 2007, 02:19:29 AM »

Ever had a job that you eventually grew to hate?
I have one right now.

When I first started there in 2004, it was a local company called Access Direct and it was a fun and enjoyable place to work.
It's a telemarketing and customer service center and I do sales verifications for big companies like Wells Fargo, DirecTv, Vonage, Macy's and Bloomingdales etc...
I have to listen to these calls and make sure they adhere to company and client guidelines.

They were pretty laid back when it was Access Direct, but not so much that you didn't take your work seriously.
It struck a magical balance between being fun but also proffesional.
You could dress in casual clothes and everyone there usually had a smile on their face.
For the first time in years, I was in a job I actually enjoyed.

Then the new company took over.
(I won't reveal the company's actual name)

It's a Florida based company that bought out Access Direct in January 2005.
For most of that year, the new company was still setting up everything and their presence was not really felt.
That all changed beginning in 2006.

Ever seen the movie Office Space?
Where I work is WORSE than the fictional company Initech.

First, they began by changing the dress code.
We went from wearing casual dress to business-casual clothes.
I had to go out and spend over $200 for new shirts and pants.
Then on Wednesdays and Fridays, they started charging us a dollar if we wanted to dress down.
That may not sound like much, but if you figure the total for all of the employees, it adds up to a hefty sum each week.
They claim that this money goes to charity.

------------------------------

Next, they instituted a policy where nobody can have anything on their desks.
No pictures of friends or family, no small plants or flowers...nothing.
Your cubicle must appear at all times as if no one sits there.
It's like they wanted to strip away our humanity.

------------------------------

Then they got paranoid.
They became obsessed with the fact that spies from rival firms may come in and steal their "secrets".
Any documents, papers etc. must be locked up at all times when you're not at your desk.
I can understand why they're doing it, but it seemed to make the tension there rise even higher.

And they're a very "paper heavy" company.
Remember the TPS reports and other mundane useless paperwork in Office Space?
It's just like that at my job.
We're constantly getting memos and other stupid papers put on our desks.
If they'd just take the time to create a simple intranet, we could ditch the paperwork and get all the info on our computer screens.
It could save them quite a bit of money...and a few hundred trees.

---------------------------------

Then the management became worse.
My boss became difficult to work around.
She would switch moods at the drop of a hat.  One minute she's nice.  The next, she's vicious and mean.
I swear, if she went to a psychiatrist, she'd be diagnosed with bi-polar disorder.
Then other times she'd be really spacy and seemed off in another dimension.

--------------------------

There's also the problem of the heat in our part of the building.
We work in a pretty big room and recently, they moved the Citibank TSR's over to our side.
There are a lot of people there throughout the day and by the time I come in at 6pm, the temperature there has risen to an average of 80-85 degrees!
Now imagine verifying sales in 80+ degree heat while dressed in business-casual clothing.
The heat is stifling and suffocating.
I have a fan at my desk but all it does is blow the hot air right back onto me and does little to help.
Several of us have complained to the management but they give us the runaround and claim they have no control over the thermostat, which has a lock box over it and happens to be ten feet from the boss's office.

And about those Citibank TSR's...
As verifiers, we work non-stop from the moment we sit down to the moment we get up and punch out.
We're not even allowed to speak to anyone sitting near us.
If we do, we're immediately given a dressing down by the boss.

The TSR's have it easy.  When they're not on a call, they laugh and goof around and generally look like they're having fun. 
Having to sit there and watch them enjoy their jobs while we work like slaves is very depressing.

----------------------------------------

And finally I come to the new policy implemented just yesterday.
Since I started work there, we've always gotten a 10 minute break every two hours.  That's the way it's been for years.
Their new policy is now you have to "earn" your breaks.
Yes, you read correctly.
We have to earn them.

The memo I received basically said,
"...company objective that states 4.2% of an employee's staff time should be allocated for paid break time..."
It goes on to say,
"Your paid break time will be awarded based on the amount of hours that you are scheduled daily.  You will earn 5 minutes for each whole 2 hour increment of staff time."

At the very bottom it says,
"Please understand that our management team will be monitoring your performance to ensure adherence to this objective."

This is the straw that broke the camel's back.
I hate my job.   Bluesad

---------------------------

They came in and tightened the screws down on everything and everybody.
And what has it cost them?
It has cost them the happiness of their employees.
I can understand that they're running a business.  But implementing policies that seem designed to completely crush our spirits is bad and will only help to increase employee turnover.

Never before have I worked at a place where employee morale is so low.
All everyone talks about is how bad it sucks and how they want to find another job.
And now we have 5 minutes less on break to talk about it.

-----------------------------

Ever had a job that you hated?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 02:50:28 AM by Ash » Logged
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:33:28 AM »

I hate my job now, I won't go into details about it, since somebody I work with may be reading this.  I would LOVE to leave, but I'm "stuck" there b/c for a couple reasons.

1) I need more experience
2) Due to some health reasons I have to stay until I FULLY recover from what I am dealing with (That may be a while)

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:17:46 AM »

Egads man, that seriously sounds like the worst job on the planet.  It's just mind boggling the sort of idiocy that some companies can implement as policy.  I hope you're spending every free minute searching for a new job.

The worst job I ever had was working as a bookkeeper for a very small company, maybe 20 employees.  All day every day I was answering calls from irate bill collectors.  I'll never forget one guy, we owed him about $100, and after a year we paid him $50.  He called up, all P.O.'d, and asked me how long he would have to wait for the other $50.  "Probably another year?"  He said sarcastically.  And I'm sitting there thinking to myself, yup, probably.  Every other Friday, payday, I'd wait to take my afternoon break until I got my paycheck, then it was a mad dash to the bank the check was drawn on to cash it.  Only the first 1/2 of the paychecks could be cashed, the rest would have to wait until they put more money in their account.  You'd have to have been a fool to actually deposit one of those checks in your own account.  I remember many times standing in line at Target waiting to cash those checks as well.  They never seemed to get our account into their system, so I'd have to give them the same pile of information every single time, but it was worth it. 

But still, it was a fun place to work when I wasn't answering calls.  The atmosphere was as slack as can possibly be imagined, everybody was good friends with everybody else, and other than the little Daytona 500 to cash the paychecks, it was a great place.  Absolutely unbelievable that they never went bankrupt, but somehow they managed.  The guy who ran the place was in love with one of the (married) female employees, and she quickly made her way out of the shop and into his office, acting as his assistant or something.  Can't imagine what she did, well, I can imagine  TeddyR but there couldn't possibly have been any sort of actual work to keep her busy.  I think they just talked all day.  I remember one evening the salesman for the company went in his office, and after he came out the smell of freshly smoked pot came wafting through the area.  Ah, the memories.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:18:46 AM »

ASH- The DOL (Dept of Labor) requires you get so many breaks per day. If you do not you can file a complaint against your company.

With that, I'm glad I work for myself. I have a super-great boss.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »

With that, I'm glad I work for myself. I have a super-great boss.

I'm self employed also.  I find my boss to be a butt-hole much of the time.   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »

My boss rocks, if you need something down, just let him know then when you put a request in for it, he WILL make sure it gets down ASAP.

I love my benefits too, but we merged with another company and we switch to their benefits package, so I'm curious to see how our benefits turn out.  I'm also curious to see if our pay raises since our pay sucks.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »

ASH- The DOL (Dept of Labor) requires you get so many breaks per day. If you do not you can file a complaint against your company.

I did some looking into this and here's what I discovered:

Q. What kind of breaks are required under Iowa law?

A. Iowa has no laws mandating breaks for adults. An employer does not
have to pay you for a break during which you are completely relieved of
your job duties. Your employer can require you to stay on the business
premises during your break. Only the following breaks are required:
1. Minors younger than 16 must be given a 30-minute break if they are
employed five hours or more each day.
2. All employees must be allowed toilet breaks when needed.
3. Workers covered by union contract who don’t receive contract promised
breaks should contact their union representative.
4. Truck drivers should contact the Iowa Department of Transportation
for regulations regarding breaks.
5. Certain other limited categories of workers, such as airline pilots, may
be entitled to mandatory breaks under applicable regulations. Check with the appropriate regulatory agency for such regulations.

----------------------------

Apparently in the state of Iowa, employers don't have to give you breaks.
What a crock.

Every job I've worked since I was 16 has always given me a 10-15 minute break every 2-3 hours.
Now I get a 5 minute break every two hours.
Wow...5 whole minutes.  It almost isn't even worth it to take a break.

You should hear some of the talk around the workplace.
All the employees are really p**sed off about it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:10:29 PM by Ash » Logged
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 07:20:37 PM »

I only hate my job when I had to actually talk or deal with all of the morons that I work with on 2nd shift.

A great day for me is when I can make it to my desk without being accosted by someone, getting a CD in the PC with my headphones on and get to working.

My job's great for me as I don't have to deal with the public at all.  I'm surprised that I lasted working retail as many years as I did that selling suits.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 08:02:46 PM »

I did some looking into this and here's what I discovered:

Q. What kind of breaks are required under Iowa law?

A. Iowa has no laws mandating breaks for adults. An employer does not
have to pay you for a break during which you are completely relieved of
your job duties. Your employer can require you to stay on the business
premises during your break. Only the following breaks are required:
1. Minors younger than 16 must be given a 30-minute break if they are
employed five hours or more each day.
2. All employees must be allowed toilet breaks when needed.
3. Workers covered by union contract who don’t receive contract promised
breaks should contact their union representative.
4. Truck drivers should contact the Iowa Department of Transportation
for regulations regarding breaks.
5. Certain other limited categories of workers, such as airline pilots, may
be entitled to mandatory breaks under applicable regulations. Check with the appropriate regulatory agency for such regulations.

----------------------------

Apparently in the state of Iowa, employers don't have to give you breaks.
What a crock.

Every job I've worked since I was 16 has always given me a 10-15 minute break every 2-3 hours.
Now I get a 5 minute break every two hours.
Wow...5 whole minutes.  It almost isn't even worth it to take a break.

You should hear some of the talk around the workplace.
All the employees are really p**sed off about it.

Well there are 49 other states, KY requires one 15 minute break every 4 hours. and one 30 break every 8 hours.

Most employers give two 15 minutes breaks and one 30 minute unpaid break per 8 hour shift.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:48:30 PM »

My first job was at a print shop.
I'd learned to run an AB Dick 360 in high school, & figured it would be a great place to get started.
They started me out as an apprentice binder's assistant. I figured if did my best, they'd eventually let my touch one of the machines. Bad idea. I got so good, that it was making the binders look bad. So, they busted me down to janitor so that I'd always be busy, & the binders would be able to catch up with me.

I never did stop asking about getting a chance to operate one of the machines, but after a year & a half of this crap, they let me go, saying that what they really needed was somebody they could train to operate their AB Dick 360.

So, I guess already knowing how to operate one of those things was a disqualifier.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 10:04:24 PM »

Every few week I'll write myself up and give myself a day off with pay to reflect, and decide if I really want to keep my job. After a little employer to employee counseling I'll decide to give myself another chance. Sadly I didn't really learn anything and then I'll have to fire myself, but then I'm faced with finding someone to take my job and since no one wants and only I applied for it, I'll have to hire myself back ... the paper work is a nightmare.

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »

Every few week I'll write myself up and give myself a day off with pay to reflect, and decide if I really want to keep my job. After a little employer to employee counseling I'll decide to give myself another chance. Sadly I didn't really learn anything and then I'll have to fire myself, but then I'm faced with finding someone to take my job and since no one wants and only I applied for it, I'll have to hire myself back ... the paper work is a nightmare.
Ha!  That's awesome.  What do you do for a living?

I've had a lot of those jobs.  For a real long time I drifted trying to figure out what I wanted to do with myself and while I did my best to figure that out, I had to pay the bills with this job or that job.  I had a job between 2000 and 2004 that I loved for a real long time. 

I got in at 9ish, checked my email and then checked the forums.  Then I'd refresh my newsgroup headers and see if anything cool had been uploaded to alt.binaries.horror and if anything looked good, I'd download it and watch it.  Then I'd check the TV groups to see if any cool shows had gone up and if I saw anything there, I'd download it and watch it.  Then I'd hit the Simpsons group and download whatever episodes tickled my fancy and watch them.  I'd have lunch at some point, load up an emulator and play video games and in between all of this, I'd surf forums like Something Awful. Then I'd log out and go home.

This was fantastic until it started to go on and on for years.  Occasionally some work would come down the line and I'd actually break my routine of movie and tv piracy and do it, but the office moved from CD ROM delivery of materials to web-based delivery and had no idea how to do such a thing.  They relied on two entry level developers to steer them in the right direction and managed the workload and team horribly.  Matters didn't improve when the dot com crash happened and every one of our customers had the money sapped from their web presence budgets.  Because of this, my boss underwrote years of negative cash flow until she couldn't do it anymore and I was laid off.

At first, being paid to slack was a good time but after a while I realized that my career and skillset were spinning their wheels because of it.  After being laid off, four years as a professional developer with that company meant nothing because as the rest of the world was building databases and dynamic content based on those databases in a slick, XHTML compliant method with CSS, I was still building finnicky, complicated tables to deliver content that could have easily been done in a couple of hours with CSS rather than the days of f**king with table layouts.

I wound up having to go back to school to get back up to speed and now I have a job that I love with few exceptions.  I have some grouchy, needy clients that I support but I'm having a great time these days.  Going back to school and fighting my ass off for this job was the best thing I ever did to get a job that I didn't hate.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »

I worked at Lowe's.  For three years.  I started out on the loading dock.  I moved lumber, concrete, etc., off of poorly and unsafely stacked carts into customers' vehicles.  I never damaged anyone's vehicle but I did get yelled at a lot for getting concrete dust on someone's nice shiny truck bed.  Yes, a LOT of people get b***hy when hauling a load of concrete gets concrete dust on their truck.  Other people would scream at you for offering to help them load things.  Every now and then, a customer would try to jump on the forklift and use it.  For the most part, though, the loading dock was all right.  People were on the way out and were just interested in leaving, not being gaping a***oles.  Management didn't bother you that much.  It was painful in the winter, though.

Then ... then they moved me inside.  Inside with all the customers who WEREN'T on the way out and DEEPLY ENJOYED being gaping a***oles.  Inside, where management was on your ass for the entire shift.  Inside, where nothing was ever clean enough, the shelves weren't stocked enough, where nightstock didn't do anything besides drag pallettes into your aisles and leave them for YOU to stock.  Inside, where you always got called over to departments you didn't know anything about and got yelled at by customers and management for not being knowlegable about a department YOU DON'T WORK IN.  Inside, where you were always alone for the entire shift because management wanted to save on labor.  I swear some people came in for the sole purpose of abusing the employees, who they knew weren't allowed to fight back.  Once, some guy rammed my ankle with a lumber cart, then got in my face and started screaming at me about being in his way, and started shoving me.  I was in pretty dire staits and couldn't lose my job, so I had to take it.  It wasn't that bad all the time but it wasn't much better, either.

I began to drink heavily, about a liter or more of hard liquor a night.  Eventually, I was going through a few bottles of Everclear a week.  I binge ate and got up to 280 lbs.  I became addicted to painkillers and sleeping pills.  I was dying.

(Also, at this time, I was in a very bad, emotionally abusive relationship with a woman who was 100% user.  Anything the job, the booze, and the pills, didn't take, she did.)

Fortunately, I got out of there.  I got a better job that doesn't involve dealing with the public at all.  I got sober and quit taking pills.  I could afford to go the gym.  I began working on cars and going on bike rides again, which I enjoy.

Thank God.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 10:09:48 PM »

I worked as a typesetter/graphic artist for 14 years. I still love the design aspect of the job, but the boredom mixed with stress finally got to me. I didn't have an issue with breaks like you do, Ash, but I did have my company depending on me (I was the only GA there), and we had several national accounts, at least one of which was really a full-time job all by itself, and only me to keep things going (I couldn't really ever take more than 2-3 days off at a time because I could never get caught up again upon my return). I was making just over half of what my wife made as a first-year teacher (yes, barely over half the salary of one of the worst-paid positions in the country). The pressure to get things done was constant, there was no reward for work accomplished other than a "Here's the next job. Get busy." The general company policy was strictly CYA-the blame game grew increasingly horrendous the longer I stayed. I stayed partially because of a loyalty to the owner (he was willing to give me a chance when I was unable to find employment anywhere). Then we were bought out when that owner decided to retire. The new owner lives in another city, and the vice president of the company began playing politics. I finally worked up the courage to leave when that crap started. I now make even less money being self-employed (I'm trying to build a business), but I'm much less stressed most of the time, and I'm finding I'm good at more things than I thought I was.

It's unfortunate that the trend these days is toward corporate conglomerates. Locally-owned businesses seem to be going the way of the dodo. I support the one-man operations all that I can, because conglomerates only encourage homogenization, and I hate a lack of variety.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 11:19:54 PM »

You are the original piece o' work!  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  When You Hate Your Job « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.