Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:39:27 PM
714583 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film  (Read 18271 times)
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 12:28:31 PM »

Oh...Prom Night 2: Hello Mary Lou (or something like that) -a bad sequel that didn't have anything to do (or much to do) with the crappy original.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »

Does American Pie 4-6 count as sequels, considering basically they're just ripoffs, and the only recurring character is a cameo of sorts by Eugene Levy, even though Jason Biggs isn't even in them?
I don't count them as sequels.  IMO they are just using the name of it, just like some of the National Lampoon movies (Which I love some of them btw).

Yeah, I agree on the American Pie movies. Any follow-up movie that doesn't feature the return of the main character (that being Jason Biggs, since his wandering wang was the whole point of the title to begin with) from the previous installments, but insists on using the same title to help market it, isn't really a sequel so much as it is a spin-off... if you really want to split hairs... in which case you can take some from my beard, as there are many.  TeddyR
True.  Never really thought about it.  I think the fourth they passed as a spinoff/sequel, with the rest being spinoffs.

It kinda irks me, but at the same time, eh.  I like the National Lampoon movies.  But American Pie is American Pie.

At least Eugene Levy's working.  He's hilarious.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 01:02:42 PM »

Does American Pie 4-6 count as sequels, considering basically they're just ripoffs, and the only recurring character is a cameo of sorts by Eugene Levy, even though Jason Biggs isn't even in them?
I don't count them as sequels.  IMO they are just using the name of it, just like some of the National Lampoon movies (Which I love some of them btw).

Yeah, I agree on the American Pie movies. Any follow-up movie that doesn't feature the return of the main character (that being Jason Biggs, since his wandering wang was the whole point of the title to begin with) from the previous installments, but insists on using the same title to help market it, isn't really a sequel so much as it is a spin-off... if you really want to split hairs... in which case you can take some from my beard, as there are many.  TeddyR

GOOD! that means that the lame Sandlot sequels they made and all the ones yet to come count as well! I mean for anyone who hasn't seen any of these movies just take a moment and look below....

The Sandlot:Set in the sixties it's a drama/comedy about a new kid who makes friends with other boys in his neighborhood. Wackiness ensues when they knock a baseball with a baseball legend's name on it over the fence where a mean junkyard dog lives,and they try to get it back.

Sandlot 2: All new characters are in this movie. Set in the seventies The "little brother" of the main character from the first movie plays ball with his friends on the same "sandlot" his older brother used to--they then band together when they accidentally send a toy rocket over the fence--of course there is no dog or scary neighbor or such--just a tall fence.They even manage to ruin one of the funniest and best jokes from the first movie in this crappy sequel.

It gets worse

Sandlot 3 : In this sequel, an obnoxious self-absorbed pro baseball player accidentally goes back in time after getting beaned on thew noggin to the "late seventies" and possesses his childhood body. 

Sandlot certainly counts if American Pie does!

Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »

Spiders 2 - there are giant spiders, but other than that it has absoloutely no connection to the first movie.

Slumber Party Massacre 3 - there's a slumber party and a massacre, but no connection to the previous films.

Sorority House Massacre 2 - same thing, no connection to previous movie.

Jim Wynorski's movies are kind of funny, he uses flashbacks to other movies yet he uses them in movies that aren't sequels.  For instance, Sorority House Massacre 2, Hard to Die and Cheerleader Massacre all use flashback scenes taken from Slumber Party Massacre.  I think the technical term is "padding the run time".

Wynorski did the same thing with Ghoulies 4. Clips of the first film, midgets in bad monster costumes, and a hot baddie babe running around cheap dominatrix gear. Yet, it still sucked.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »

ghoulies 4 is f**kin hilarious if you ask me. its so ludicrous its retarded, your telling me the guy from the first one, a semi-nerdy dude who inheirets his black magic dabbling fathers mansion, who ultimately studies and uses the same magic his father did, becomes a reckless hard boiled cop. WHO THE f**k COMES UP WITH THIS s**t? god, i love it.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »

GOOD! that means that the lame Sandlot sequels they made and all the ones yet to come count as well! I mean for anyone who hasn't seen any of these movies just take a moment and look below....

The Sandlot:Set in the sixties it's a drama/comedy about a new kid who makes friends with other boys in his neighborhood. Wackiness ensues when they knock a baseball with a baseball legend's name on it over the fence where a mean junkyard dog lives,and they try to get it back.

Sandlot 2: All new characters are in this movie. Set in the seventies The "little brother" of the main character from the first movie plays ball with his friends on the same "sandlot" his older brother used to--they then band together when they accidentally send a toy rocket over the fence--of course there is no dog or scary neighbor or such--just a tall fence.They even manage to ruin one of the funniest and best jokes from the first movie in this crappy sequel.

It gets worse

Sandlot 3 : In this sequel, an obnoxious self-absorbed pro baseball player accidentally goes back in time after getting beaned on thew noggin to the "late seventies" and possesses his childhood body. 

I HATE the Sandlot sequels.  They took a perfectly good movie and just pimped it out.  Disney does that quite often.  I mean honestly, do we need Cinderella 3? Peter Pan 3: Return to Neverland?  Why'd he leave Neverland to begin with?  Aladdin 3?

Disney has some good movies, but that doesn't mean we need sequel upon sequel.  Only Disney sequel I can say I liked was Toy Story 2.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »

What bugs me most about Disney is that they pump out crappy sequels of stories that aren't even Disney stories. They're monkeying around with beloved fairy tales that have been around for generations, just to make a quick buck off a DVD. Because Uncle Walt made a classic animated feature of a given story 50 or 60 years ago, the company has been able to co-opt that story and its characters as their own, right out of the public domain.

For that matter, they have just as little respect for the material they own. Disney's classic animated features were created over a span of many years. Multiple generations have enjoyed some of them, and the Disney company is still riding on that success, and milking it for all they can get. Churning out new features for theatrical and DVD release as quickly as possible, plus making highly profitable sequels to successful titles, without nearly the care or investment of time and money.

It's just sickening.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »

It gets worse

I HATE the Sandlot sequels.  They took a perfectly good movie and just pimped it out.  Disney does that quite often.  I mean honestly, do we need Cinderella 3? Peter Pan 3: Return to Neverland?  Why'd he leave Neverland to begin with?  Aladdin 3?

Disney has some good movies, but that doesn't mean we need sequel upon sequel.  Only Disney sequel I can say I liked was Toy Story 2.

Agreed.

Sadly the guy responsible for the original and It's lousy sequels has stated he wants to keep making more sequels to Sandlot for years to come.
MST3KFan
Dedicated Viewer

Watches too many bad movies

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2007, 05:49:36 PM »

How about the Howling movies?  I don't think any of those atrocities have anything to do with any of the others in the series other than the presence of werewolves (or in one's case, were-marsupials). 

Actually I think the first two Howling movies tried to have some connection to each other, then 3, 4, 5, and 6 were their own stories that only had connection as you say with there being werewolves (sorta as some of the movies hardly showed them) then the HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE last Howling movie they did tried to somehow connect all the movies together and failed miserably.

Torture someone you hate with that last Howling movie they did as it is bad...not bad in a good way either. It killed the Howling frachise for good though it seems as well.

Another franchise which has died, but not been forgotten...Carnosaur. The second movie tried to loosely tie itself in with the first one. The third one REALLY loosely connected to the other two Carnosaur movies. And then there's the movie Raptor..which uses TONS of footage from all three Carnosaur movies for its movie.

"And a noble race dies out...sometimes. This LOSER race though will not be missed." -Crow T Robot, MST3K "Prince of Space"
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »

Actually I think the first two Howling movies tried to have some connection to each other, then 3, 4, 5, and 6 were their own stories that only had connection as you say with there being werewolves (sorta as some of the movies hardly showed them) then the HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE last Howling movie they did tried to somehow connect all the movies together and failed miserably.

Howling 4 was supposed to be a more faithful adaptation of Gary Brandner's novel that inspired the first movie (thus 4's subtitle, "The Original Nightmare").  But a stilted script, bad acting, cheap production, and not-quite-right South African locations doomed it.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »

An american werewolf in PARIS is DOOK-MACHINE. Thumbdown

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 05:04:22 PM »

What bugs me most about Disney is that they pump out crappy sequels of stories that aren't even Disney stories. They're monkeying around with beloved fairy tales that have been around for generations, just to make a quick buck off a DVD. Because Uncle Walt made a classic animated feature of a given story 50 or 60 years ago, the company has been able to co-opt that story and its characters as their own, right out of the public domain.

For that matter, they have just as little respect for the material they own. Disney's classic animated features were created over a span of many years. Multiple generations have enjoyed some of them, and the Disney company is still riding on that success, and milking it for all they can get. Churning out new features for theatrical and DVD release as quickly as possible, plus making highly profitable sequels to successful titles, without nearly the care or investment of time and money.

It's just sickening.

Not to get off-topic but I just wanted to chime in on Disney.

I totally agree here. Disney was a great talent that totally went downhill in a bad way. The early Disney animations were great because they honored the subject material that they were using. Yes, they were Disneyfied (ie. dumbed down) but they were still good. As decades passed Disney's quality of animation totally went into the crapper.

I would say that the Little Mermaid was probably the last good Disney film. It wasn't long after that the abomination known as Disney's Hercules came out. The animation was as grotesque as the plot. I understand it's for kids but I do believe that's possible to insult a six year old.

As for the Lion King don't even call that a classic. That was a total ripoff of Tezuka's Jungle Emperor, released in the U.S. as Kimba The White Lion. Walt Disney has to rolling over in his grave for modern Disney has become. I understand that Tezuka and Walt had some early dealings, but Eisner's Disney's theft is just sad especially after the early cross-cultural animation exchanges that Walt and Tezuka had.

You wait Disney's Caligula is right around the corner.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »

I think worse than this is when they actually RENAME completely unrelated (usually foreign, particularly Italian) movies for certain releases to try and sell them. There's DEMONS 3: THE OGRE, which is basically, well, THE OGRE, renamed to get sales, which has nothing at all to do with the story, the feel, the idea, the cast, or anything at all, of DEMONS.

While D3:TO was the only phoney DEMONS sequel to exist on DVD, on VHS in various places, there's a grand total of FOUR different movies released with the name DEMONS 3,  (only one of which, THE CHURCH (originally planned as DEMONS 3), having any connections with DEMONS), one ORIGINALLY named DEMONS 3 (though unrelated anyway!!) then renamed to BLACK DEMONS, then there's about 3 movies called DEMONS 4, and DEMONS 6: ARMEGEDON (Yes, Armageddon is incorrectly spelled in the name). Some are zombie movies, some demon movies, one a movie about some random satanic sect (!)... I don't think anybody has seen DEMONS 5, but it's renamed from another unrelated movie which is apparently a REMAKE of an unrelated movie from 1960.......

ITS BLOODY INSANE.

Basically, there are two Demons movies and there is a semi-prequel with a different name (The Church). Then there are about 10 random Italian unrelated movies renamed to have Demons in the title to make sales. And they didn't even bother to look for some of the many movies which even resembled Demons, just so long as they were horror movies, and they were Italian... I heard once that even Suspiria and Phenomena have been packaged with the Demons title on them.

Absolutely barking mad.

I just read this and my brain exploded.  It was like reading a quantum equation.   Buggedout

On a side note, I liked "The Church" however, I don't think that it should be a sequel to Demons and Demons 2 though.  I thought it was a good enough movie to stand a lone.  I sold my DVD copy of it.  I plan on buying it again.

Later,

John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:43:24 AM by JPickettIII » Logged

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »

I think worse than this is when they actually RENAME completely unrelated (usually foreign, particularly italian) movies for certain releases to try and sell them. There's DEMONS 3: THE OGRE, which is basically, well, THE OGRE, renamed to get sales, which has nothing at all to do with the story, the feel, the idea, the cast, or anything at all, of DEMONS.

While D3:TO was the only phoney DEMONS sequel to exist on DVD, on VHS in various places, there's a grand total of FOUR different movies released with the name DEMONS 3,  (only one of which, THE CHURCH (originally planned as DEMONS 3), having any connections with DEMONS), one ORIGINALLY named DEMONS 3 (though unrelated anyway!!) then renamed to BLACK DEMONS, then there's about 3 movies called DEMONS 4, and DEMONS 6: ARMEGEDON (Yes, Armageddon is incorrectly spelled in the name). Some are zombie movies, some demon movies, one a movie about some random satanic sect (!)... I don't think anybody has seen DEMONS 5, but it's renamed from another unrelated movie which is apparently a REMAKE of an unrelated movie from 1960.......

ITS BLOODY INSANE.

Basically, there are two Demons movies and there is a semi-prequel with a different name (The Church). Then there are about 10 random Italian unrelated movies renamed to have Demons in the title to make sales. And they didn't even bother to look for some of the many movies which even resembled Demons, just so long as they were horror movies, and they were Italian... I heard once that even Suspiria and Phenomena have been packaged with the Demons title on them.

Absolutely barking mad.

And we could make all the same complaints about the Italian "Zombie" pseudo-series -- especially the installments that include NO zombies.

Are you thinking of Zombie 4?

I watched that and said WTF???  I had some brain damage  BounceGiggle  trying to relate this movie to the other Zombie movies.

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2007, 07:41:14 AM »

I am shocked at all of you!!!! JK.  Why has no one mentioned "From Dusk To Dawn 2 or 3"  Both are trash that just use the name of the orginal.  Which I thought was pretty darn good.

One thing that made me mad about "From Dusk To Dawn 2" was that Bruce Campbell and Tiffany Amber Thiesen were listed as the main characters, I watched it off of satelite, and they died in the first five minutes and never made another appearance.  I was heart broken, I thought that Bruce was going to be the head vampire and Tiffany was going to be his mistress.  Oh well.

John
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:54:35 PM by JPickettIII » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.