Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:41:50 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Yo-yo Girl Cop « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yo-yo Girl Cop  (Read 5121 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« on: January 18, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »

I had a bit of a mixed feeling about this. For a movie whose main selling proposition is that you get to see an idol in sailor fuku beat up a lot of people with a yoyo, it is remarkably bleak. There are not to many action scenes. Instead you get a fairly depressing story about bullying, nihilism and mass suicide in a Japanese high school. Even the main character isn't all that heroic, and her police mentor makes Lt Columbo look like an action hero.

This does not mean that it is a bad movie. It is just that if you expect a fast paced action movie, with lots of eye candy (like, say DOA or even Azumi), you're in for a disappointment. What you do get is teen idol Aya Matsuura looking mean, a critical look on the Japanese school system, and a grand finale with sexy outfits and yoyo combat.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:12:12 PM »

...a movie whose main selling proposition is that you get to see an idol in sailor fuku beat up a lot of people with a yoyo...

Sold.  Thumbup
I don't see how this movie can be disappointing. I'll have to check this movie out.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:09 PM »

I'll have to check this one out just due to the weapon of choice used in the film.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Dr. Whom

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:42:28 AM »

Don't get all worked up, apart from the grand finale, there isn't very much yoyo action in the movie (perhaps the CGI budget was too small). However, for that Aya Matsuura changes from her school uniform into a rather fetching sentai type catsuit.

Another thing is that the sound editor went wild on this movie: there are sound effects EVERYWHERE: little 'pop' sounds when people open their eyes, even camera movements get a little 'whoosh'.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »

I'm sold on the sound effects!

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »

I liked it!

This is actually an update movie, there were three previous movies and a TV series in the 1980's (and they have the original Sukiban Deka return as a cameo to be the mother of the brand new one) 

The depressing atmosphere is becoming very common in Japanese cinema as detached youth get all emo about their empty lives, probably due to fear of tentacle rape and giant monsters.

Dr. Whom

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:48:49 PM »

I liked it as well, it was just not the silly action movie I expected.

HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »

Ah yes, I always meant to see the original Anime.

I'm actually more interested in it now, even though I too assumed the title would offer something silly like, oh I don't know...

"Big Boobs Buster"

Can't find it on IMDB? Oh, but it exists, cheap dubbing, cheaper fight scenes and all.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Yo-yo Girl Cop « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.