Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:07:49 AM
714509 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DOA « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DOA  (Read 1888 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

DOA
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »

Why has this movie been so scandalously neglected? I just picked it up on DVD, being in the mood for some mindless amusement after eating too much. This is just the ticket!

The plot couldn't have been simpler Dead Or Alive is a martial arts tournament on an island to find the greatest fighter. Princess Kasumi suspects that there something sinister going on, because her brother never came back, and she wants to find out what. Needless to say, the organiser has an Evil Plan (where do these people get their ideas from).

What you get is Devon Aoki, Holly Valance, Jaime Pressly, Sarah Carter and Natassia Malthe in lots of acrobatic fights, often with very little clothes on. And a beach volley match of the first four in bikinis. Everything is beautifully filmed, fight choreography is top notch. In short, the only thing it lacks to be the perfect fight game adaptation is Milla Jovovich.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Dave M
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »

Title confusion could be part of the problem, there are at least two other movies with the same title that I know of. An old noir that's lapsed into public domain (http://www.archive.org/details/doa_ipod), and a remake with Dennis Quaid (http://imdb.com/title/tt0094933/). Imd.com lists about 10 movies called DOA.
dean

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:50 AM »

I wouldn't go anywhere to say it was a well made film, but I gotsta say I enjoyed how ludicrously stupid it was.  We watched this last New Years Day I think, and it made for a good chill-out film to watch.  Plus people kept comparing me to the guy who hooks up with Helena, which I didn't mind if it meant I hooked up with a hottie like her.

It's a great film to watch and constantly laugh at because of the stupidity. Best watched with friends who are forgiving, have a sense of humour, and probably a few drinks under their belt.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:56:44 AM »

Well, I never said it was intelligent. In fact, one of its charms is that you always know exactly what is going to happen. And it is not too long, just over an hour.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:18:56 PM »

I thought it was fun.  The women were hot, the fights were cool and the plot was inconsequential.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »

LOVE this movie. One of the best videogame movies yet, if you ask me.

Problem is, with any movie which comes adapted from another source material, especially source material from Japan, will always get some kind of backlash from the "otaku" fanboys.

Ironically it's biggest criticism is that "it's just hot girls wearing very little, kicking each other's asses in a cheesy story", which is, uh, exactly what the source material was.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DOA « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.