Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:15:12 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1299
Author Topic: The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread!  (Read 2695775 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #16755 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:25 PM »

RIH Ricky Jovan Gray

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
AoTFan

« Reply #16756 on: January 19, 2017, 12:29:36 AM »

I just read Fred Reed's column about intelligence, in which he takes on the prevailing theories about what intelligence is and how it is proliferated. (Supposedly it is largely genetic.)

I think there are a lot of factors to intelligence, but heredity is only a part of the mystery. For instance, compared to my father I am downright sluggish between the ears, yet according to theory by this time I should be inventing a new atom. That's if high intelligence is always passed on.

I agree that there's way more to intelligence than just genetics.  (Although, I'm sure it does play a rather large part.)  But I think nurture is also a big deal.

I heard a story once (and granted, it could just be a feel good urban legend, but even if it was, I think the point is on target) about two groups of kids who were determined, through computer testing, to be dumb and smart, respectively.  Thing was, the "dumb" kids accidentally ended up being labeled "smart" by mistake and the "smart" kids "dumb."  Well they sent the supposedly "smart" kids off to class and the teachers found they had difficulty with the children actually learning anything.  Now, here's the kicker, they got together and said, "Wow, what is going on?  These are smart kids.  If they're not learning, then maybe we're teaching them the wrong way.  We'll have to find different ways of teaching."  And lo, behold, they changed their methods, and the kids started learning.

Again, the whole story could just be an allegory, but I personally know some people who've been told they were "dumb" and "stupid" and since they believed it, they never would try and thus, the whole thing became a self-fulfilling prophecy.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #16757 on: January 19, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »

Let's see how long I can take calculus before I go crazy.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #16758 on: January 19, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »

Let's see how long I can take calculus before I go crazy.

Want me to see if my dad is available? ;-)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16759 on: January 20, 2017, 12:44:32 AM »

I'm following Pamela from Pamela's Prayer on twitter. She's not very interesting but I'll suffer through it to have a connection to that remarkable cinematic achievement
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:46:35 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16760 on: January 20, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »

Hmm, why did I randomly think of this scene about an hour ago?

! No longer available Small | Large

AoTFan

« Reply #16761 on: January 21, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »

I heard somewhere that the reason dogs (especially puppies) like squeaky toys is that the noise reminds them of a dying animal and it triggers a primal hunting instinct in them. 

Dunno if that's true, but wow, that sure adds a new dimension to "cute" play, huh? 

Buggedout
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #16762 on: January 21, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »

Limited Infinity is an oxymoron in English, but not in Calculus. Seems legit.

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #16763 on: January 22, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

I heard somewhere that the reason dogs (especially puppies) like squeaky toys is that the noise reminds them of a dying animal and it triggers a primal hunting instinct in them. 

Dunno if that's true, but wow, that sure adds a new dimension to "cute" play, huh? 

Buggedout

In that case, be afraid.
Small | Large

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16764 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:09 PM »

Ever called Netflix customer service? They take informality to a new low. The person I talked to, a kid probably half my age asked, "And how are we feeling tonight, my sister?"

I kid you not: "How-are-we-feeling-tonight-my-sister."

I told him I couldn't be his sister, because my brothers died as babies, one of them in my mother's arms, and my father couldn't even come to the funeral because he was in Africa or God knows where, we still don't know, and no, I was not at peace with any of that, and thank you for stirring up trauma from my youth. If I developed a drinking problem at any point in the next twelve calendar months, I was going to attribute it to him.

Needless to say that shut him up long enough for me to ask that he transfer me to someone more professional. He said---again I quote---"Wait a sec." Then mentioned I was going to need to take a one question survey. I was going to NEED to. The one question was about whether I was satisfied with my service, so I smacked "2" for no. And I did it with my middle finger for emphasis.

Well a microsecond later this woman who sounded a lot like the pastor off King of the Hill, total northern Midwest whine like she's from above Milwaukee, south of Canadadada (yes, classic Gwar reference for you Rob---the Jonbenet bit that about made me throw up in high school? Yes, that one.), goes, "Aw, we're sorey to hear that, what can we do to make your experience better?"

I said (a little apologetically because I can only sustain pique for about a minute), "Not make me take surveys for one thing." (And I'm even someone who likes surveys, they stoke this mental disorder I have called parahyperthymesia. No one will EVER do a telethon for parahyperthymesia. Seriously, I am like neurotic. You wouldn't believe it. For instance it makes me furious when people drop names, like I told Anna Kendrick. But I love surveys. Whoever you are, send me one and odds are I will take it.)

So this Minnesota woman tried to talk to me more, like she was counseling me, I swear, but I said real nicely, "I just want to speak to someone about adding an extra account. My five-year-old is starting to clash over programs with my eight-year-old so we want to go up to four accounts."

I guess that was the right thing to say because she put me through to someone who had our debit card number in about thirty seconds, all good there, I guess, but I don't know, there is such a thing as being too unprofessionally personal. It smacks of fakeness. (If that's even a word, and if it's not it is now.)

Whatever happened to all those ultra-polite Indians from the '00s? Honestly, Steve in Mumbai never would've talked like that. I loved Steve. He made renewing our Smithsonian subscription pure pleasure, and got me off the phone "fahst."

But why did I come to this thread? Oh, yeah, I also have a random thought. It is that Indonesia has some really fine seamstresses. I would put a twelve dollar Indonesian-made children's t-shirt up against one from Pakistan or Honduras anytime, anywhere, God love 'em.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #16765 on: January 23, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »

Ever called Netflix customer service? They take informality to a new low. The person I talked to, a kid probably half my age asked, "And how are we feeling tonight, my sister?"

I kid you not: "How-are-we-feeling-tonight-my-sister."

I told him I couldn't be his sister, because my brothers died as babies, one of them in my mother's arms, and my father couldn't even come to the funeral because he was in Africa or God knows where, we still don't know, and no, I was not at peace with any of that, and thank you for stirring up trauma from my youth. If I developed a drinking problem at any point in the next twelve calendar months, I was going to attribute it to him.

Needless to say that shut him up long enough for me to ask that he transfer me to someone more professional. He said---again I quote---"Wait a sec." Then mentioned I was going to need to take a one question survey. I was going to NEED to. The one question was about whether I was satisfied with my service, so I smacked "2" for no. And I did it with my middle finger for emphasis.

Well a microsecond later this woman who sounded a lot like the pastor off King of the Hill, total northern Midwest whine like she's from above Milwaukee, south of Canadadada (yes, classic Gwar reference for you Rob---the Jonbenet bit that about made me throw up in high school? Yes, that one.), goes, "Aw, we're sorey to hear that, what can we do to make your experience better?"

I said (a little apologetically because I can only sustain pique for about a minute), "Not make me take surveys for one thing." (And I'm even someone who likes surveys, they stoke this mental disorder I have called parahyperthymesia. No one will EVER do a telethon for parahyperthymesia. Seriously, I am like neurotic. You wouldn't believe it. For instance it makes me furious when people drop names, like I told Anna Kendrick. But I love surveys. Whoever you are, send me one and odds are I will take it.)

So this Minnesota woman tried to talk to me more, like she was counseling me, I swear, but I said real nicely, "I just want to speak to someone about adding an extra account. My five-year-old is starting to clash over programs with my eight-year-old so we want to go up to four accounts."

I guess that was the right thing to say because she put me through to someone who had our debit card number in about thirty seconds, all good there, I guess, but I don't know, there is such a thing as being too unprofessionally personal. It smacks of fakeness. (If that's even a word, and if it's not it is now.)

Whatever happened to all those ultra-polite Indians from the '00s? Honestly, Steve in Mumbai never would've talked like that. I loved Steve. He made renewing our Smithsonian subscription pure pleasure, and got me off the phone "fahst."

But why did I come to this thread? Oh, yeah, I also have a random thought. It is that Indonesia has some really fine seamstresses. I would put a twelve dollar Indonesian-made children's t-shirt up against one from Pakistan or Honduras anytime, anywhere, God love 'em.

If we had a BMDO Hall of Fame, this post would be in it!!!!!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16766 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »

I would think the Mandela effect was better explained through Occam's Razor by saying people are confused or lying for attention, except I have had incidents kind of like that in my own life, unsettling changes to what I thought I knew, so it is at least a little intriguing.

Anyone ever experienced anything Mandela-worthy?

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #16767 on: January 24, 2017, 12:07:35 AM »

I believe no matter how much I have an argument with absolute values, it's entirely pointless.

yeah no.
AoTFan

« Reply #16768 on: January 24, 2017, 05:33:43 AM »

I really need an autocorrect on my url that will automatically replace "yotube.com" with "youtube.com".  That'd save me a lot of time.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16769 on: January 24, 2017, 06:28:52 AM »

Anyone ever experienced anything Mandela-worthy?

I almost met that man once.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1299
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.