Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:37:20 PM
714480 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies you thought you would love but ended up hating....... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Movies you thought you would love but ended up hating.......  (Read 43534 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

LOTR RETURN OF THE KING They had to give the most tiresome of the three best picture? 

Sorry LOtR fans, I'm with All Hallows on this one.  I thought the film had too many slow motion shots.  I just wished Frodo would have tossed the rings and got it over with by the end. 

There is no arguing the films are superbly made.  For some reason I just can't watch the LOtR trilogy with the interest I once had in it.  Perhaps I should put away for a few years.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
DeepBlueNothing
Dedicated Viewer

Ducks say moo!

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 04:27:13 AM »

She's Having A Baby - I thought and was mislead to believe by the trailer, that this movie was going to be about a married couple going through the ups and downs of pregnancy. Instead, I was treated to some of the worst two hours of my life! That lady was just so evil and selfish, and she made her husband go through some humiliating crap just so she could pop out a kid! He didn't even want a baby, and she couldn't get a clue! Hatred

I would've liked it better if it had been somewhat like Notes From The Under Belly. It would've been funnier.

The Golden Seal - I thought this was going to be an enjoyable family movie, but the creep for a dad, the depressing storyline, (like the puppies and dog dying) and the crappy ending all ruined it for me. I now avoid this movie like the plague!

Ghostbusters II - Boy, this burns me to no end about this sequel. I have so many issues with this sequel. I thought this was going to be as good as the first, and was excited when I saw the trailer. But I was wrong. Instead I'm treated to a bunch of pink slime all over New York, an evil painting, a crappy storyline about the Ghostbusters fallen on hard times, boredom, and an ugly Janine. Even the ghosts were weak in the movie. They really didn't try. They had such a variety of demons and ghosts in the first, which is the reason I love the first so much.

They should have based the sequel on the early seasons of The Real Ghostbusters. I would've liked to have seen the demons and ghosts (like the Boogey Man), brought to life. I also liked the dark tone and the storylines in the series. I would've liked to have some moments that make me jump out of my seat. I also hated that Dana and Peter didn't stay together. I thought they had such chemistry in the first. So why bust them up? And Janine, what the hell did they do to her? She looks so ugly and geeky! Why fix something if it isn't broke? There is so much they could've done if that had played around with more ideas.

God forbid if they ever make a third sequel, and its either about the Ghostbusters' kids or Ghostbusters Extreme. Buggedout

I'll post more later if I think of anymore.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:44:29 AM by DeepBlueNothing » Logged
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

It's become chic to bash LotR nowadays.

Personally, I never liked them.  The first one was okay but I was left with the feeling of, "That's it?"  Two Towers was almost unbearably boring.  As long as Frodo wasn't around (I've always hated Frodo, even in the Bakshi and Rankin Bass cartoons), ROTK was at least not boring me.

However, around the time Frodo was hiding behind a rock while Sauron was looking right at him AND STILL COULDN'T DETECT THE RING I just gave up.  So, let me get this straight.  Sauron, the unstoppable force of evil (who was once defeated by a guy on his back, striking blindly with a broken sword) can't find his precious little piece of jewelry (which he is apparently helpless without) even when it's in his land and he's practically staring right at it, just because Frodo was hiding behind a rock?  What a $#! loser!

That was bad enough, but then later when Frodo collapsed on the way up Mount Doom and Sam picked him up and started hugging him and talking about the Shire instead of carrying him, well, that was the closest I've come to walking out on a movie  ... until began the almost endless series of endings.  When Viggo Mortensen starting singing, I was actually getting up but I decided to just keep watching out of some morbid desire to see how bad it could possibly get.  I needed a drink after it was over.

Back on topic, another movie I was excited about but ended up not liking was the first Blade.  The vampire massacre at the beginning was great.  Then not a thing happened for the rest of the movie.  I saw it with my parents and we all three fell asleep.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »

Back on topic, another movie I was excited about but ended up not liking was the first Blade.  The vampire massacre at the beginning was great.  Then not a thing happened for the rest of the movie.  I saw it with my parents and we all three fell asleep.

FWIW, I feel asleep during all three of the LotR movies.  I cannot say that they disappointed me or that I hated them, because all I remember is bits and pieces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »

Three words, Blair Witch Project.   Thumbdown

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Torgo

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »

28 Days Later

This one looked great but I walked out of the theater wanting my money back.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »

The Muppets Wizard of Oz- I wouldn't say 'hated', but was underwhelmed by it.  I should have just weilded caution when I found out Queen Latifah (who I don't like), was Auntie Em.  It had a few parts I liked, but overall, didn't do it for me.  I would've guessed that Rowlf woud've been Toto, but no.  Toto was Pepe the King Prawn (who I love), so that got a thumbs up.  Plus I liked the Quentin Tarantino cameo.

But overall, it wasn't as great as I felt it could've been, even though it was a tv-movie.  If this is the best Disney has to offer with the Muppets, it's a shame.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »

I was really looking forward to the first sequel to Nightmare on Elm Street and was so disappointed in the mess that it was.

I bent my wookie!
DarkTiger74
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »

Torgo, I have to disagreed with you about 28 Days Later it was a good film except for the stupid second one.  DeepBlue I agreed with Ghostbusters 2 they should let Peter and Dana stay together insead of her having a baby with that creepy guy she was talking in the first one. It made me sick they put Janine and Louis together she had the hots for Egon he had the hots for her what happen did I miss something?
DarkTiger74
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »

Also Blade, Spider-Man, Xmen, and The Hulk should been made like the comic books which they came from that also goes to The Fantasic Four, and Iron Man. I didn't really want to see The Transformers but one of my best friends wanted me to see it also it was in a $1.50 theater. I really was a crappy movie they only good thing about the movie was Anthony Anderson and the two hot girls in it. They lied to us saying people who grew up with The Tranformers in the 80's will like it no we didn't.
Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2008, 03:39:37 AM »

When I saw the thread title, I immedately thought of "Brazil." I'd heard so much about this movie over the years, how it was like "1984" meets "Monty Python," how could you lose with that combination? Very easily, actually. The film sums up everything that's wrong about Terry Gilliam. Self-indulgent, incoherent, convoluted, annoyingly jumps between logic and dream-logic without warning leaving its audience sputtering... Maybe I need to rewatch it with altered expectactions but as it stands now, Damn, "Brazil" kinda' sucked. Pretty set design, though.

I think pretty much everybody agrees about "Hulk." I know, I know, how dare we chastise Ang Lee for actually being artistic and wanting to completely subvert the superhero/summer blockbuster forumlas, right? But if this isn't one of the biggest bait-and-switches in movie history. Here we are expecting ninety mintues of "Hulk SMASH!" and instead we got two hours of "Hulk BROOD!" I mean, that's just not fair, Hollywood. Bad form. Luckily, the new Hulk movie, starring Edward Norton, in the works promises to actually be an action film instead of an arthouse drama.

"Closer" and "Elephant" are two examples of critically beloved dramas that I ended up aboslutly despising. "Closer" is filled with some of the most repungent characters I've ever seen literally and figuratively screwing each other over for two hours and we didn't even get to see Natalie Portman naked for our troubles. "Elephant" eschews things like, you know, characters with depth or an actually interesting, well-paced, driving storyline in favor of cliches, a hollow and obvious message, and artsy shots of the sky.

"Alien: Resurection" is probably the best example of this. You know, I was excited. Hey, its a new Alien movie with an excellant cast (Sigonory's back, Wynona Ryder, Ron Perlman, Brad Dourif, Michael Wincott!) an awesome French director, and a cool screenwriter! How did this end up sucking so rightously? I mean, it violently stomps its fan's expectations into the ground and makes every wrong decision it possibly can. I wish I could say the first "AVP" was a similar experience but I think most people knew that would be bad. Luckily, the second was pretty decent and at least delivered on some badass monster-on-monster action if nothing else.

Some others:

- "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Awful adaptation of my favorite comic book series of all time. I at least hoped it would be good.

- "Legend of Zorro." The first flick was such a fun popcorn muncher. The second one was a two and a half hour long family movie. What the hell?

- The Tenacious D movie looked like an awesome dude comedy but crossed over into the terriotory of really dumb, unfuny, boring dude comedy instead.

- "Art School Confidental" could have been another "Ghost World" but was just so painfully self-involved and angsty.

- "Hostel" Eli Roth seemed so cool but it turns out he's just a sex-obsessed ten year old boy trying to gross people out without entertaining them first.

- "Lost in Translation" Hey, I love slow paced character driven indie dramas as much as the next guy but, seriously? Did anything happen in this movie? At all?

- "THX 1138" Another example of a director placing his grand, deep artistic statment over things like pacing or characters we actually give a crap about.

- "Van Helsing" and Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" Well, you know, I liked "The Mummy" movies and this one was such a neat idea but it turns out Stephen Sommers is kind of a bonehead and doesn't actually know how to do things well. Spielberg doing "War of the Worlds" sounds like a dream project but it turns the story was completely against his strength as a director and it sucked.

- "30 Days of Night" Damn you, shaky-cam! You ruined another potentially awesome horror movie! Curses!

- "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Skidoo" Ya' know, I had hoped that these would be spectactularly awful bad movies, pen-ultimate examples of studeo hubris and the combination of ideas that anybody in their right minds would realize could be nothing but fiascos. But I was wrong. They were just bad. Painfully so.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2008, 09:04:31 AM »

- "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Skidoo" Ya' know, I had hoped that these would be spectactularly awful bad movies, pen-ultimate examples of studeo hubris and the combination of ideas that anybody in their right minds would realize could be nothing but fiascos. But I was wrong. They were just bad. Painfully so.

I'm not the grammar police or anything but using the word penultimate wrong is one of my pet-peeves.  Penultimate means "second to last".  i.e.- The football team scored on its penultimate drive giving them the lead  Or Full Metal Jacket is Stanley Kubrick's penultimate movie.

Now, if only I could get people to use "matriculate" properly...

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
zbranigan
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »

sunshine

looked fantastic Thumbup

to quote Armageddon though, "i wouldn't trust those retards with a potato gun", theres no way any space agency would send them up without thorough mental evaluation.
obsessive compulsive psych officer! what did the girl do again?!?! a mission to the sun with no back up computer located in a different part of the ship, a crispy psycho who's survived 7 years without disturbing any dust!! the 'kenny' suit! (why?! it can't go in the sun anyway, why not use a normal suit that you can actually work in and see out of?) too much bull for only 50 years in the future (i will always forgive artificial gravity from a logistical perspective though TeddyR)

was led to believe it was something like '2001', but it turned into a bad cross of that and 'event horizon'(which i also like)

really did look good though Thumbup

and lo all, noob member

if we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.........checkmate!!
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

Once Bitten, a vampire movie with Jim Carrey, sounds fun.  I only saw a few bits from when I was a kid, and those looked good while independent, but the whole movie put together was TERRIBLE!!!  Hatred

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

I really like Jim Carrey.  The big teeth, the rubber face, the crazy antics.  And I don't mind him in serious roles either.  I saw Truman Show and thought it was okay.  But this one was bizarre.  Too many flashbacks and it was very disjointed.  I didn't like Kate Winslet's character either.  I just wanted to slap her.

When the movie was finally over, I understood it.  But when I watched it again the second time straight after, I still didn't like it.  Jim Carrey did good in the straight role, but the story itself was done very ham fistedly.  And as usual, Elijah Wood just creeped me out.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies you thought you would love but ended up hating....... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.