Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:59:02 PM
714452 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Lifeforce « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lifeforce  (Read 29616 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 17, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »

Bill Adams reviews Tobe Hooper's unfortunate failure.  Space vampires destroying London just sounds like a great film.  A unique alien ship and Mathilda May as the completely naked female vampire are icing on the cake.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »

I just picked this up on DVD after Christmas as part of a Circuit City gift card I was given. 

I realize that this movie gets trashed a lot and it is a mess in a narrative sense at times, but it's just so damn bizarre and entertaining that I have to recommend it to people.  Never been another movie like it before or sense IMO.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

I like this movie.  It is a shame that it bombed so badly when it was released, though it seems to have a small cult following these days.  Showed it to a friend of mine and he liked it enough to buy the DVD.

The alien spacecraft and the setting are well done.  Scenes inside the alien ship are great, with a feeling for these huge open chambers filled with floating batlike monsters.  And the three naked figures the astronauts find inside of the crystal structure is striking.

Mathilda May is stunning, especially when she is walking around naked and causing all the security guards to wet their pants.  Not only attractive in the nude, but she has PRESENCE. 

People sucked dry of lifeforce by the space vampires are gruesome, dessicated corpses that come alive and grasp after the uninfected!  While the budget didn't allow for dozens of them, we do get to see a handful and those are memorable.  Especially the glassy eyes rolling around.

The low point of the film is definitely Carlsen's moaning to the Space Girl, "You're draining me. You're taking too much of me."  That was pretty horrible.

See this and compare it to Tobe Hooper's "Invaders from Mars."  "Lifeforce" is a much, much better film from every standpoint.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

I've always wondered if they had left the title as Colin Wilson's book had it, SPACE VAMPIRES, and embraced the unavoidable b-movieness of it all, would it have worked out better in the long run.  Patrick Stewart's scenes immediately spring to mind with this.

They changed a bit from the book, but I really dug connecting it to Comet Halley.  It gave it a kind of an immediacy and one more human folklore element to ride on.  The film also seems to be hyper aware of it's kinship with QUATERMASS AND THE PIT.

Everytime I pop the movie in, it's Peter Firth's supernaturally unflappable Colonel Caine that really does it for me.  Talk about stiff upper lip!  This guy makes Kenneth More look like Rod Steiger.

Now...Imagine...  Apparently, Klaus Kinski was supposed to play Dr. Fallada!  Though, I think I'd still prefer the nea-equally-creepy Finlay.

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:29:40 PM »

The last American film that Mathilda May was in was that god awful (IMO) remake of The Jackal (starring Bruce Willis).

I checked her filmography on IMDb and she's stayed pretty busy doing mostly foreign films. BTW, she's turning 43 this year!   Thumbup

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

Haven't seen this movie in years but I really liked it.  Reading Andrew's description made me remember some scenes that were cool.  The whole thing at the beginning was done in in an extremely suspenseful way, got me hooked good. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »

This is a fantastic B-movie that just forges ahead, giving the audience what it wants (= more Mathilda May!), regardless of logic.  But I could swear I already read this review before it's publication date of  1/17/08.  Has it been reposted? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

This is a fantastic B-movie that just forges ahead, giving the audience what it wants (= more Mathilda May!), regardless of logic.  But I could swear I already read this review before it's publication date of  1/17/08.  Has it been reposted? 

This is a reader review, so it was first posted to the forum by Bill Adams in the section for reader reviews: 

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/board,23.0.html

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 07:06:06 PM »

This came out when I was serving in the Navy in Japan; all the sailors naturally loved it.  I have  a copy taped off a Japanese rental with Japanese subtitles that is over 25 years old; I would love to see it on DVD.  What other films has Matilda May done?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »

She seems to have worked fairly steadily, even if most of her acting has been in European films, since "Lifeforce." Her latest film is "Tu peux garder un secret?" which is in post-production and should be out sometime this year. Her last completed film was last year's "A Girl Cut in Two" to give it its English title.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

I watched this movie on that on demand cable thing and loved it!!!  However, the ending made little to know sense, but we're watching a movie about vampires from space so I guess it's allright.   Twirling

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »

I watched this movie on that on demand cable thing and loved it!!!  However, the ending made little to know sense, but we're watching a movie about vampires from space so I guess it's allright.   Twirling

It's on there again!  HOORAY Twirling Twirling Twirling

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
AllisonSNLKid
Dedicated Viewer

Your Saturday Night Live Guru since 1996!

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:48:20 PM »

I found a preview for this movie last summer on an old tape my parents made from HBO sometime in 1986, when the HBO special for Robin Williams at the Met aired.  Check it out:

After seeing this preview, I figured out the bizarre nature of this film...and am not surprised it has some sort of a cult following.

It's like people only do things because they get paid.  And that's just really sad.
Torgo

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 02:59:50 AM »

It's well worth it watching this flick on DVD as it's the uncut intermational version. It makes a lot more sense than the truncated theatrical cut.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:19 AM »

Had this on VHS from years ago, I really found this movie boring. Seems I'm the only one here who thinks that.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Lifeforce « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.