Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:12:32 PM
714411 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  There Will Be Blood « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There Will Be Blood  (Read 3710 times)
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 13, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »

I suppose I'm a bit of a sucker for the right kind of hype, but even I was put off a bit by the reviewers comparing this to Citizen Kane.  It seems everyone is so hungry for the next Great Picture that they'll forgive lots of flaws in this --
It's only playing in one theatre in Colorado currently, & no telling when it will go to general release, so mostly so far only the critics & a very limited movie-going public is managing to catch it.
While the film does indeed have great moments & glimmers of promise (Nobody speaks for the first 20min. or so & there is an amazing scene wherein teams of men put out a firey gusher with cartfulls of dynamite, reminicent of D.W Griffith's "Intolerance" seige of the castle scene), 2 factors kept me from embracing this one wholeheartedly.  One, Daniel Day Lewis has given this performance before, as Bill The Butcher in Scorcese's "Gangs of New York".  He may in fact get the Best Actor nod for "There Will Be Blood", but it will be for the same character he created for the earlier, and in many respects superior, film.
The second factor that keeps me distant from this one is the choppy nature of the editing.  No doubt there will be a director's cut of this film to DVD at some point, and then I would like to reevaluate the film again.  As it stands, the theatrical version makes some annoying and choppy leaps in space and time and character that leave you going "huh?" and having to fill in too many blanks.
In one of these leaps we find a crippled and twisted Daniel Day Lewis suddenly propelled into a mansion & berating his adopted deaf son in a manner all out of proportion to the perceived injury that the son is alleged to have perpetrated on him.  Yes, the son will now be his rival in the oil business, but such is Day-Lewis' venom and viciousness that it detracts from the scene and the scene to follow, the climax of the film.  How did Day-Lewis get this way?  You can imply and deduce, and there are clues in the body of the film, but unlike Citizen Kane or Gangs of New York, the reasons for the climax as shown are vauge and imprecise.
That said, there is no doubt in my mind that Day-Lewis is the best actor working in film today.  I blame the director & the editor.  This probably should have been a 4-hour film, and it does bear more than passing resemblance to Erich von Stroheim's "Greed", from a very similar book to Sinclair's "Oil!", "McTeague", which was famously cut from 7 hours to just 2.
So, while I did enjoy it for the most part, too many holes for me to join the chorus that this is somehow a "Great American Movie".
peter johnson/denny sneery critic

I have no idea what this means.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »

Thanks for the review PJ.  I've been looking forward to this one for a while, and at least I know to turn down the expectations a bit before going in.  I believe it is showing at one theater in the area.  I'll try to see it sometime soon.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »

I saw the trailer for this movie when I went to see No Country For Old Men.  It looked really good but I'm wondering if PTA had final cut over this as he usually has and his films aren't normally choppy.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »

Oil, greed, religion...

I think the reason I'm so disinterested in this film is because I come from Alberta. Here I am trying to escape these things. I'll probably end up renting it in the future anyway.

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »

Predictably enough, this now has 8 Academy Award nominations, as of today --
I predict that Daniel Day Lewis willget the Best Actor Award this year, but it will be awarded to him because he was passed over for "Gangs of New York".  As I've said, this is essentially the same character as Bill The Butcher, but Hollywood is notorious for making up for actors & actresses that they passed on one year & then throwing them a bone the following year or 2 later for a performance not-as-good but making up for the prior loss.
As to whether or not it sweeps is not as clear -- No Country for Old Men is an industry favorite at the moment.
I also think Julie Christie is a lock-in for "Away From Her" . . .
peter johnson/denny day lewis

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  There Will Be Blood « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.