Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:15:55 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cinematic Titanic: The Oozing Skull « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cinematic Titanic: The Oozing Skull  (Read 8619 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: January 24, 2008, 08:51:22 PM »

So, I've seen Cinematic Titanic's first DVD - The Oozing Skull.  I got a chance to check it out on Saturday and I have to say that this is the true follow up to MST3K.  I know people argue about who was better, Joel or Mike, and I have to say that Joel has proven himself worthy with this endeavor.

The setup is similar to MST3K.  Instead of having a shadow of the viewers down in the bottom of the screen, there are series of steps on both the left and right side of the screen.  On the left side, you have three people: Joel Hodgson, Mary Jo Piehl and another person.  On the right there are two others. 

If you've seen MST3K, then you know exactly what to expect here.  Hilarious quips, and sight gags abound.  Some of the funniest moments happen when the gang pause the film to point out various things, like asking exactly why a character is being burned with battery acid and the ramifications of the actions.

The Oozing Skull is awful and it makes perfect fodder for Cinematic Titanic.  I can't imagine seeing the film without the comments and such; it would be beyond unbearable.  The story involves a leader of a India-ish country who has died, and a plan to move his brain to another body.  Sadly there are no oozing skulls within the film.

The only weak link in the whole thing is Piehl.  I just didn't feel that her lines and additions worked as well as the rest of the team involved.  Joel undoubtedly has the best lines and offerings of any of the crew.  That being said, I did find myself chuckling for nearly the entire runtime.

I highly recommend this disc.  I can't wait to see exactly what comes from this point on.  These guys seemed to have honed their comedy and it shows. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

The only weak link in the whole thing is Piehl.  I just didn't feel that her lines and additions worked as well as the rest of the team involved.

See, that's what I love so much about the Film Crew DVDs (and some of the RiffTrax offerings): Mike, Bill, and Kevin are my favorite trio from the show (Joel and Trace fans, please don't throw anything at me) and it's a beautiful thing not only hearing them do their thing together again, but without the censorship of Sci-Fi. I haven't watched the first CT DVD yet (watching it this weekend with the wife and the mom-in-law), but I've never been a fan of Mary Jo and from the screenshots I've seen, I'm not enjoying the look of the new silhouette they're using. Of course there's no way I'm writing off the series (any MST3K riffing is good riffing), but right now I'm looking more forward to the next Film Crew release than the next installment of Cinematic Titanic... I repeat, please don't throw any rotten veggies or empty bottles!

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »

I got this movie/performance last week and it is worth the 15 bucks.  The original MST3K crew is back!

The movie is a true stinker from the 70's (the midget in the movie played Master Blaster in Beyond Thunderdome) and is even better when you get to hear Joel and the former MADS Trace, Frank and MaryJo bust on it.  (The fifth guy on the left is Josh Elvis Weinstein...the original Tom Servo).

The Cinematic crew has secured the rights to 11 other bad movies besides this one.  Go here to order!

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »

Of course there's no way I'm writing off the series (any MST3K riffing is good riffing), but right now I'm looking more forward to the next Film Crew release than the next installment of Cinematic Titanic...

No rotten veggies here.  I love the FC DVD's (I've collected them all).  But The Film Crew thing was a bunch of pilots that were shopped to distributors and Cable stations but nobody picked them up...ergo releasing them on DVD,  (Mike from what I hear doesn't plan on doing any new ones...but we'll see with the advent of CT).

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:48 PM »

I joined their e-mail list thing.  Quick question though, as I haven't been to their site in a while.  Can you find the movie in stores, or does it have to be ordered online strictly?

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »

I joined their e-mail list thing.  Quick question though, as I haven't been to their site in a while.  Can you find the movie in stores, or does it have to be ordered online strictly?

Online only...so far.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »

The Oozing Skull is awful and it makes perfect fodder for Cinematic Titanic.  I can't imagine seeing the film without the comments and such; it would be beyond unbearable.  The story involves a leader of a India-ish country who has died, and a plan to move his brain to another body.  Sadly there are no oozing skulls within the film.

It's also called "Brain of Blood."  The original, non-heckled version is pretty darn awful.  There are some scenes that help you get through it (they actually make you laugh), but it's a pretty low end single slime movie for my tastes.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »

Of course there's no way I'm writing off the series (any MST3K riffing is good riffing), but right now I'm looking more forward to the next Film Crew release than the next installment of Cinematic Titanic...

No rotten veggies here.  I love the FC DVD's (I've collected them all).  But The Film Crew thing was a bunch of pilots that were shopped to distributors and Cable stations but nobody picked them up...ergo releasing them on DVD,  (Mike from what I hear doesn't plan on doing any new ones...but we'll see with the advent of CT).

Really? That sucks. I read an interview with a paper in Chicago last year where Mike, Bill and Kevin said that they has some 150 movies or so to choose from for their Film Crew stuff and that the first four were only the first wave of releases. It would be nice to see more out of them, especially since the Film Crew stuff is available on NetFlix.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:49 AM »

The only weak link in the whole thing is Piehl.  I just didn't feel that her lines and additions worked as well as the rest of the team involved.
I haven't watched the first CT DVD yet (watching it this weekend with the wife and the mom-in-law), but I've never been a fan of Mary Jo and from the screenshots I've seen, I'm not enjoying the look of the new silhouette they're using.

The silhouette was a bit off putting at first.  It seemed to be taking up way too much of the screen.  After about five minutes or so, I was over that feeling.  I actually really like the way that it is all laid out.  Not only do you get to see them, you also get to see their various actions throughout the film.  This certainly helps in what I considered to be one of the funniest parts of the film, with the whole crew doing their version of "These Boots Were Made For Walking".

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »

I haven't watched the first CT DVD yet (watching it this weekend with the wife and the mom-in-law), but I've never been a fan of Mary Jo and from the screenshots I've seen, I'm not enjoying the look of the new silhouette they're using.

The silhouette was a bit off putting at first.  It seemed to be taking up way too much of the screen.  After about five minutes or so, I was over that feeling.  I actually really like the way that it is all laid out.  Not only do you get to see them, you also get to see their various actions throughout the film.  This certainly helps in what I considered to be one of the funniest parts of the film, with the whole crew doing their version of "These Boots Were Made For Walking".

Very true. The new setup does allow for the huge potential of "hosts interact with the movie" bits that I hadn't really considered. I'm now more open to the concept.

Raffine

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »

I can't wait to see this! I like Mike, but Joel's always been the guy for me.

As Andrew mentioned, BRAIN OF BLOOD was the original title and it was the last of those Filipino 'Blood Island' movies. The big difference this one was directed by the infamous Al Adamson of DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN fame! It actually makes those Eddie Romero 'Blood Island' movies like BRIDES OF BLOOD look like masterpieces in comparison.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:46:44 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »

I got my DVD yesterday and man, what a thrill to hear Joel, Trace et al working their riffing magic.  There are good things and bad things with it...I'll start with the bad:

Some of the jokes sound too rehearsed.  It doesn't quite have that flow that MST3K or even RiffTrax has...but that probably because these guys haven't worked together in years in this format.  The host segments (they stop the movie at certain points and a host will do a short skit) are hit or miss.  There needs to be more interaction and group riffs.  What's the point of having 5 people riffing if they aren't going to needle each other or do more group gags?

The good:

The original MST3K'ers are back.  I like Josh's delivery since he sounds like a guy I knew in college with a similar sense of humor.  I can see how much of Trace's personally was given to the character Crow.  He's still as funny as ever.  Frank seemed to be the most relaxed and let his goofy side hang out.  I was great to hear a female voice doing fake dialog for the female characters.

If I were to compare this to an episode of Joel era MST3K, I'd give it a B+.  I expect when the Cinematic Titanic crew gets used to the format and each other the quality will get even better.  They have the rights to 11 movies so there is more to come.   Thumbup

Torgo

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »

I'm on their e-mail list but I've yet to pick up this new DVD so far. A friend of mine should have gotten it by today so I'll at least be able to hopefully check it out sometime this weekend.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 12:28:35 AM »

Man, I hate to have to say it, but I wasn't impressed.  Bluesad

I hated every one of the host segments! Whatever pace the crew worked up was immediately halted so somebody could do a terrible segment. Uggh. The movie itself was perfect for riffing, but there really are too many damn people at work! I could do with Mary Jo and, I hate to say it, but I'll take Josh over Frank. Frank and Mary Jo only work as support characters for skits, and have not won me over as actual riffers. The three of us (me, my wife-to-be and her mom) unanymously gave it a 3 out of 5. Good to have something to watch, but we'll stick with MST3K reruns, RiffTrax, and Film Crew DVDs before we buy another Cinematic Titanic release. Meh.  Lookingup

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »

The three of us (me, my wife-to-be and her mom) unanymously gave it a 3 out of 5. Good to have something to watch, but we'll stick with MST3K reruns, RiffTrax, and Film Crew DVDs before we buy another Cinematic Titanic release. Meh.  Lookingup

The CT'er did The Oozing Skull as a live show a couple of times.  I think that's where the scripted feel of their first effort comes from.  I expect the next one to be a little more "organic" since they'll be doing their next project for the DVD only.  There's bound to be some growing pains.  Sorry to hear you didn't like it all that much...

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cinematic Titanic: The Oozing Skull « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.