Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:49:44 PM
714450 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS  (Read 10076 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: January 28, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »

Does anyone else watch these?  As a history and government teacher, as well as a political junkie in general, I started watching them with the basic motivation of simply staying informed on current events and political trends about 20 years ago.  Then I discovered that I actually enjoyed them.  I have only missed one since 1992.

As I listened to Bush tonight, I realized something.  I am going to miss this man being President.  I know right now that 60% of the public does not share that opinion - many emphatically so - but it's how I feel.  He doesn't have the inspirational eloquence of Reagan, the fire of Kennedy, or the packaged slickness of Bill Clinton, but there is a simplicity and an earnestness about him that I find compelling.  I get the feeling he is a regular guy doing the best he can in the most difficult job on earth, and I am profoundly grateful that I do not have his responsibilities resting on my shoulders day after day.  I hope history will be kinder to him than his contemporaries have.

Anyone else out there listen to him tonight?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:10:27 AM »

As I listened to Bush tonight, I realized something.  I am going to miss this man being President.

You and every comedian in the free world, sir.  Wink

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

lol. scratch that
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:07:28 AM »

I guess I could be tempted watching a political speech like that if one of those "State of the Union - Drinking Games" was involved... Sounds fun if taken seriously.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »

I figured I would be in the minority, and lose karma points, over this one.  Oh well!  Vive la free expression!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »

I watched it and the evident partisan divide in congress is really disturbing. I believe that all of these old school Washington politician need to be shown the door and bring a new crop in with TERM LIMITS. These clowns that have never had any job outside of politics are just clueless to what it is to live in the REAL AMERICA. I'm talking about both sides of the aisle, it's time us voters clean house. I'm getting to be as about anti incumbent as I can be.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »

I watched it and the evident partisan divide in congress is really disturbing. I believe that all of these old school Washington politician need to be shown the door and bring a new crop in with TERM LIMITS. These clowns that have never had any job outside of politics are just clueless to what it is to live in the REAL AMERICA. I'm talking about both sides of the aisle, it's time us voters clean house. I'm getting to be as about anti incumbent as I can be.
Agree with you CHEEZEWIZ: "These clowns that have never had any job outside of politics are just clueless to what it is to live in the REAL AMERICA."  I must point out that the resume of our sitting President is not impressive. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Susan
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

Small | Large

TeddyR
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »

Agree with you CHEEZEWIZ: "These clowns that have never had any job outside of politics are just clueless to what it is to live in the REAL AMERICA."  I must point out that the resume of our sitting President is not impressive. 

What ALLHOLLOWHEAD agrees with me? I'm shocked. Never said the Prez did, but at least he's had a couple of real jobs as opposed to many on both sides that have never done nothing but politics.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

it's time us voters clean house. I'm getting to be as about anti incumbent as I can be.

Bang on that, brother.  I'm so sick of politics - all sides.  It's all just talk talk talk.  The sick thing is that they KNOW they don't mean a word they say, we KNOW they don't mean a word they say, they KNOW we KNOW, and still the wheel keeps turning with the same submoronic idioticy day after day.

Clean house.  There's a campaign slogan I can sink my teeth into.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

I think my opinion of Bush has been documented on the board before...though I have to admit...listening to him talk is entertaining in a 'BAD' kinda way....it's almost frightining in it's absurd-ness. Almost surreal...
...and thats coing from a flake who believes in 'flying saucers' and thinks Bela Lugosi is the Second Coming.

So I guess you can interpet that any way you want... Twirling

it's time us voters clean house. I'm getting to be as about anti incumbent as I can be.

Bang on that, brother.  I'm so sick of politics - all sides.  It's all just talk talk talk.  The sick thing is that they KNOW they don't mean a word they say, we KNOW they don't mean a word they say, they KNOW we KNOW, and still the wheel keeps turning with the same submoronic idioticy day after day.

I basiclly believe all politictions are full of sh!t...left or right. I have no use for there lying,phoney hucksterism.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »

I've thought if having bumper stickers printed to that effect. Either that or another classic, "Throw the bums out!"

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »

What ALLHOLLOWHEAD agrees with me? I'm shocked. Never said the Prez did, but at least he's had a couple of real jobs as opposed to many on both sides that have never done nothing but politics.
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle touche...  Thumbup 
As for "Real jobs"?  I don't think so; it's all family money, mismanagement, forfeiture, and questionable ethics.  But the W did make BIG BUX!   TeddyR Wink 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:25 PM »

Let me inject this into what has become an interesting discussion:

Term limits are a bad idea, unless they are the Constitutional variety - that is, imposed by the voters with their ballots.  But if you look at history, again and again, it is the men who have spent a lifetime in government service who wind up saving the day.

Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and John C. Calhoun each had 40 years in government when they engineered the Compromise of 1850 that forestalled the Civil War by a decade and probably wound up saving the Union.

Winston Churchill had been in Parliament for 40 years when he was called on to lead the country in its darkest - and finest  - hour.  He not only saved England, you can make a very convincing case that this remarkable, stubborn, incredibly alcoholic Victorian throwback saved the whole world.

Vote the bums out, if you think they deserve it.  But leave the Constitution alone - mandatory term limits are one of those things that seem like a good idea, but come replete with unintended consequences.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:03:38 AM »

and probably wound up saving the Union.

You say that like it is prima facie a good thing.  My question to you is: what do you speculate would have happened if the South split away, and the Union became two countries?

I'll tell you my speculation after I hear yours, but I'll give you a hint as to what I am thinking.  I don't think we'd be much different now, 150 years later, than we are now.

I'll turn the mike over to you....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.