Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:45:13 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  If you could live at any time in history, when would it be? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: If you could live at any time in history, when would it be?  (Read 13835 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: February 10, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »

I know this forum has more than one history junky, I think there is at least a few here and more having a interest in different parts and eras of history.

While there are 100's of times in history I'd like to visit there are few times I'd like to live as life was for the most part regardless of your social standing pretty crappy overall. But I've always been a bit of an adventurer and explorer and I think living in during the time of the American western expansion (From The Appalachian west) would be interesting to see the country covered in old growth forest and buffalo herds that were millions strong, unfettered rivers, to see the native Americans living as they did (provided they didn't kill me) I just think that would be a enjoyable time for me to live as I even today like getting back to nature and sometimes walk for miles off of trails through the 200,000+ forest near my house. I just seems to be drawn to times in history that we seems to know the least about, and the western exploration is not as well documented as I'd wished it was. Sure I'd love to see many, many other times in history, but the life span, general health just seems to out weigh any longterm enjoyment of the wonder of the period in history to me. Even the voyages of discovery were wrought with misery and a short life. 

So if you could live at any time in history, when would it be and why?

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

I think if compelled, I'd go for the 1950s... born just a bit too late, I love 50s Rock, Jazz, Blues, 50s movies, 50s TV, 50s clothes... How can you go wrong with Japan-made tin toys, "I Love Lucy," "Leave it to Beaver," CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, CHARLES MINGUS, ORNETTE COLEMAN, RICKY NELSON and ELVIS?   TeddyR

Forgot to mention MICKEY MANTLE and THE NEW YORK YANKEES !!!  hot
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:39:34 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

Hmm.  Most likely in Rome during the rule of one of the more effective Caesars, maybe good old Gaius Julius himself.  Or in England during the reign of Henry VIII.  But most likely in Rome.  What a fascinating time!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »

I'd go with the mid to late fifties as well! Rock and Roll-SHOCK THEATER-the start of the monster boom...but I'm actually pretty glad I grew up in the era that I did. I'm happy with the history I've seen made. And...even though I've had lots of hard times...I'm glad I did what I had to do. I'v'e met lotsa interesting people...and even though I get despondent sometimes-I'm still young...I still have some kick left in me...and I expect life to take some amazing twists and turns yet.  Smile Like the RAMONES sing...I WANNA LIVE!   Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »

Early 19th century - live and work aboard a square rigger plying the oceans.  Fascinating times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »

I'd like to live in the Pleistocene, always liked the beasties that roamed the world then and there were not a lot of people around so there was room for everybody, people and animals. I realize that I'd have to live off the land and not get eaten by some of the predators, but on the other hand, no bills, no taxes, no vehicle registration fees, just living life. It would be great as long as it lasted.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »

Early 19th century - live and work aboard a square rigger plying the oceans.  Fascinating times.

Ever read "Jack Nastyface" or "Steering to Glory" and a bunch more? That's one of those times I'd like to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Life aboard ship even often for the Capt. sucked. However, one Captain that can not be denied his seamanship was Captain Bligh after the mutiny on the 'HMAV Bounty' and his 3618 nautical mile voyage in nothing more than a dingy.

Hmm.  Most likely in Rome during the rule of one of the more effective Caesars, maybe good old Gaius Julius himself.  Or in England during the reign of Henry VIII.  But most likely in Rome.  What a fascinating time!

Those are indeed fascinating times although I'm fond of Trajan's time albeit nearly any of them would have been great to see, provided you were neither to high or to low on the social ladder. Life tended to be short if you were.
Henry and his fight with Rome would have been cool to see too, but Henry's reign seemed to be pretty much about Henry only. It's been a long time since I've read anything about him, but I'd be hard pressed off the top of my head to think of anything Henry VIII did that wasn't in his own best interest. Even the Laws in Wales Acts was all about fat boy and the crown, so while Henry is cool if for nothing more than his blatant self indulgent I think for me it would be Richard II mainly for my own self indulgent reason that he was the patron of my GreatX19 Grandfather some guy named Geoffrey Chaucer. and I might have gotten a chance to meet him and say "Hey, thanks for the books."

I'd like to live in the Pleistocene, always liked the beasties that roamed the world then and there were not a lot of people around so there was room for everybody, people and animals.

Can't wait for that movie to come out in March 10,000 BC ... looks cool.

edit typo
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:08:14 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

ulthar

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »

Ever read "Jack Nastyface" or "Steering to Glory" and a bunch more? That's one of those times I'd like to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Life aboard ship even often for the Capt. sucked. However, one Captain that can not be denied his seamanship was Captain Bligh after the mutiny on the 'HMAV Bounty' and his 3618 nautical mile voyage in nothing more than a dingy.

Not read those (but have heard of 'em)...

On Bligh:  Bligh's Portable Nightmare is a great read that focused on that voyage (the aftermath of the mutiny).  Easy reading - I read the entire book in two days.  I sure would not have chosen to be on THAT trip....

The book also had a litlte bit of history into Bligh's character....seemed he operated under an extreme sense of guilt over Cook's death and his inability to prevent it.  Bligh was NOT the man he has portrayed to have been in cinema, but he was not without his faults.

Nathaniel Philbreck is also one the key modern authors documenting the history of life aboard the square riggers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »

The book also had a litlte bit of history into Bligh's character....seemed he operated under an extreme sense of guilt over Cook's death and his inability to prevent it.  Bligh was NOT the man he has portrayed to have been in cinema, but he was not without his faults.

Correct sir, history turns him into a monster, it least Hollywood did and he was in fact quite the able seamen. I haven't seen the 1982(?) movie but I've read it holds closest to the true the story in cinema. I'd be hard pressed to say which ship I'd would have liked to have been on in the age of the sail, perhaps aboard the HMS Beagle with Darwin even though it was a tiny ship.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »

To live in a historical time in the U.S., I'd probably go with the '40s. I love the music and movies of that era, just before the super idealism/emptiness of the '50s and just after WWII. Plus, I could still wear my fedora!

As for a historical period I'd like to visit but not stay in for long, there are many. I'd like to visit Jerusalem in the time of Christ, then again a couple of centuries later. I'd like to visit Stratford-on-Avon, circa 1600, and see Shakespeare in action. I'd love to visit the late 1400's and see Da Vinci. I'd like to visit Egypt in the prime age of the pharoahs. And lastly (for now), I'd like to visit England in the late '60s to see Diana Rigg in her prime in person (rowr, rowr!).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ulthar

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:45:32 AM »

Correct sir, history turns him into a monster, it least Hollywood did and he was in fact quite the able seamen. I haven't seen the 1982(?) movie but I've read it holds closest to the true the story in cinema.

The one with Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson?  Definitely worth a look.  Hopkins gives a great performance, if somewhat maniacal.

I'd be hard pressed to say which ship I'd would have liked to have been on in the age of the sail, perhaps aboard the HMS Beagle with Darwin even though it was a tiny ship.

HMS Beagle would have been cool....being with Nelson at Trafalgar would have been pretty awesome with the hindsight of how it turned out (though himself was lost).

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 01:27:23 AM »

....being with Nelson at Trafalgar would have been pretty awesome with the hindsight of how it turned out (though himself was lost).

Then you should read "Steering to Glory", "Feeding Nelson's Navy", "Frigate Commander", "Fiddlers And Whores'' if you haven't yet, and you know why I think a day trip or two in Nelson's Navy will do me fine.

When I read about the hardship of many of our forefathers be it settling the New World, manning a Ship of the Line, just eeking out a meager life and often losing more children than the modern mind can grasp. And then I hear people today whine and cry when the cable goes out, I just want to smack them.

ulthar

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 01:38:17 AM »

And then I hear people today whine and cry when the cable goes out, I just want to smack them.

Karma for that...

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »

I think if compelled, I'd go for the 1950s... born just a bit too late, I love 50s Rock, Jazz, Blues, 50s movies, 50s TV, 50s clothes...

OK you 40's and 50's folks if I had to pick a time in recent history (since 1900) I'd say the 1910's - 1920's, great times, vaudeville, the Ziegfeld Follies, early autos and airplanes, early radio and nickelodeons and not to mention the high style of Art Deco and Art Nouveau which I think has not been surpassed in style and design, although the early 50's Machine Age is close. However, I'd prefer to be gone by Oct 1929 pretty much down hill for a while after that. Granted that hold prohibition thing was kind of insane, but it didn't seem to slow anyone down.

dean

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »

I love the time I'm in, even if I disagree with alot of the way the world is [or more precisely, alot of the jerks in the world] but regardless there's a few periods that would be fun.

One thing I find myself quite often wondering about is going to live in a past time period with the knowledge of today in my head.  Imagine the things we could do to improve societies using today's knowledge of hygiene, irrigation and mechanics, that even a schmuck like me could impart onto lesser knowledgeable historical peoples.  Of course I also think about how it would be taking weapons of today into famous battles and see how history would have changed.  Big army marching on the horizon ready to start an ancient battle in Greece, say hello to Mr Bazooka and Mrs Assault Rifle etc etc.  Ah the confusion...

But if I chose a time to live in, well there's a few interesting ones that spring to mind.  The French revolution would have been an interesting time to be alive.  Sure, there was a lot of 'don't speak up or we'll lop your head off' going on, but imagine a time when people start rethinking the way they live to the point that they even make a new calender.  A WHOLE NEW CALENDER!!!  Crazy French.

Watching Sweeny Todd the other day made me wish I was alive back then purely for the fashion.  Awesome outfits, plus a healthy bosom works particularly well in some of those clothes...  TeddyR

Being alive during the European and Japanese initial meetings would have been interesting: such a clash of cultures...

Of course the heydays of Ancient Greece and Rome would have been particularly intriguing.  Such a violent time though I'm sure.

I've always been intrigued by Mayan/Aztec culture, but to live there, well, I really don't think I'd last too long...

But yeah, I really do agree with Cheeze's modern choice of the 1910s to 20s.  Old penny arcades and the new technology advances of more electricity, film and sound.  The forefront of the new age and so on.

But really when you think about it, we've all come so far yet not at all... technology these days is insane compared to even 40 years ago, and we've had such a boom, yet people are still nuts.   Wink

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  If you could live at any time in history, when would it be? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.