Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:23 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  In Bruges « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Bruges  (Read 5190 times)
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 19, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »

For someone who hardly goes to Big-Screen movies, I sure have been seeing a lot lately --
My wife has a crush on Colin Farrell, so this one was mandatory --
A really wonderful work of art -- I would say, "Jodoworsky Light" -- these men may or may not be exisiting in a State of Limbo somewhere -- There is a great deal of focus on the works of Hyronemous Bosch/Heaven and Hell.  Grand themes of Redemption and Damnation are dealt with in a way that would make Segio Leone proud.  Indeed, Dixie said it reminded her of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".
This thing is also funny as hell -- the witty banter is both hilarious and straightforward.  Ralph Fiennes has a wicked turn as a nasty mob boss with strange glimmers of soul -- his penultimate conversation with Brendan Gleason is one of the funniest things I've heard in my life.  Yes, this will also remind people -- in a good way, I hope -- of Tarrentino, especially "Pulp Fiction".  These men are in the business of killing other men, but not without compunction, and with complicated codes of honor.
The more we talked about it afterwards & the more we tossed things back and forth about it, the more things were revealed -- The inkeepers wife (We never see the innkeeper) could very well be the Virgin Mary of the Bible -- which would make her Unseen Husband God Himself. 
The bloody violence is never without meaning, and my wife hates bloody violence in movies, yet loved this film unequivocally.
While I also loved Persepolis, I think I may need to go back and see this one again -- something I haven't done with a film in over 20 years.  It's epic and wonderfully strange.  I see that it's now being advertised as a comedy(?!?!), but while lots of laughs, there's much much more going on here than fun and good times.
Really still shaking my head over this one . . .
peter johnson/denny exhausted

I have no idea what this means.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »

It felt like a Coen Bothers/Bill Forsythe joint. I liked it alot too. And the part where Colin Ferrell charms the cute girl by babbling about midgets just proves why he's Colin Ferrell and we're not. Anyone else would have had security called down on their heads, but he gets dinner with a Belgian hottie. Everyone was excellent. One of my favorite lines"You can't buy horse tranquelizers for a midget!"  Just a good well balanced mixture of violence and humor and pathos and strangeness.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »

Sounds right up my alley.  Of course, it's not playing in Louisville, KY.  Anyone know if it's going to get a wide release, or so I just have to remember to look for it on DVD? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 02:41:16 AM »

Sounds right up my alley.  Of course, it's not playing in Louisville, KY.  Anyone know if it's going to get a wide release, or so I just have to remember to look for it on DVD? 

Hey, Baxter Avenue is getting it this Friday:

http://baxter8.com/comingsoon.html

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »

It could be worse..I know there is no way i'll get to see it here in the theatre. They wouldn't even play Slither here.  I guess thats what you get for living on the buckle of the bible belt.. Bluesad

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »

Hey, Baxter Avenue is getting it this Friday:

http://baxter8.com/comingsoon.html

Karma, Pilgermann!  I didn't really expect such a specific answer.  I'm still kind of new to Louisville and didn't know the local hip flix joint.

Sorry about your cultural situation, Sister Grace.  At least there's Netflix.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »

I'm hopefully going to be seeing this this upcoming weekend at some point. The buzz about it is great.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »

I've seen print ads in the NY Times, the cast alone made me curious, and I'll have to keep a look out for it. Peter's description just makes me want to see it more.

Like Sister Grace, I'm in Bible Belt Buckle territory and no way will it make it to our 12 screen Carmike theater. Now that the local second run cheapo has closed, that outside chance is gone too, they used to get some of the more artsy, high brow, or just quirky stuff (sorry I missed The Hunting Party there) right before they hit DVD mixed in with the mainstream stuff. My best bets are Huntsville or Birmingham.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

I'm interested in seeing this not only because I have heard many good things about it, but because I've been to Bruges 3 times in the past 3 years and purchased a LOT of chocolate there!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

Well, I did something I hadn't done in 25 years, and went back & paid full-price to see a film again on the Big Screen --
I was amazed by how much was clear from the first time through -- I was wondering if I'd get any new insight, but was merely convinced all over again of things I thought I got from it the first time. 
I did see a placement of a child statue from the first few frames does figure prominently in a final killing scene, which I had not noticed before.  Also, I was impressed even more strongly this time that the Maria landlady is some sort of Blessed Mother Mary figure, given her behaviour in the closing scene.
Anyway, just as bloody and violent this time around as last, but viciousness to a purpose.  Plays like Ralph Roister-Doister or one of the Mideavel Morality Plays.  This time I tried to observe the nuances of the minor characters a bit more, and not simply be overwhelmed with Colin Farrell & Brendhan Gleason.  Fiennes does have a lot more nuance than I noticed first time through, and the nameless supporting cast is doing very fine characterization.  Yep, every bit as good the second time as the first.  Theatre was packed, too, so it'll be around locally for awhile, should any of you be traveling near Boulder, Colorado, in the near future.
peter johnson/denny crane

biff_debris
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:32:25 PM »

Completely dug it. Took a bit to get going, but once Ray met up with Chloe things got to running pretty well. I was most impressed with Farrell, never seen him do anything with that kind of range before. After reading the above posts, I'm kinda up for seeing it again, too =D
peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »

A small Colin Farrell movie that got almost no publicity at all, but wherein he's almost as good as he is in In Bruges, is called "Intermission" -- almost nobody I know has seen it, but we own the DVD.  Plays a thief with an obsession with oriental cooking.  The opening sequence/his opening monologue is flat-out wonderful.
Colm Meany and a host of Irish & British character actors flesh it out.
Farrell is rightly perceived as a Big Star, but he will still take time out to do these smaller films --
peter johnson/denny crane

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  In Bruges « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.