Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:47:03 PM
714406 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plan 9 - In color! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Plan 9 - In color!  (Read 9495 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 20, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »

This actually looks pretty good! 

Small | Large

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »

Sorry.  I cannot condone colorization.  I respect the technology, but taking a black & white movie and colorizing it causes me great pain and anxiety.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
hdjanks
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »

Id watch it gives the movie an New school Old school feel kinda like " The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" In Technicolor
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »

Sorry.  I cannot condone colorization.  I respect the technology, but taking a black & white movie and colorizing it causes me great pain and anxiety.

I'm no fan of it either, but in this case its more of a novelty, like the Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, and Little Shop of Horrors DVDs released by the same company.  On the plus side, they include quality black and white transfers on their discs.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »

Not interested in this one or colorizations in general, but the colorized version of REEFER MADNESS might be worth a look just to see the purple clouds of pot smoke.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:15 PM »

I whole heartedly agree. I'll admit that its cool that they can do that, but I'd still prefer the original black and white version.

Ya know, I think the colored version has a Mike Nelson commentary on the dvd! Neet!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »

I like how the film looks in color, but it's kind of like plastic surgery.  It looks better but it ruins what it once was.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »

The best part of those DVDs was the Mike Nelson commentary, not the colorization.  And since Mike redid the Plan 9 movie as a RiffTrax (with Bill and Kevin along as well) it was much better than the one on the DVD.  And hopefully that's the last time I watch Plan 9 for several years because it just burns me out.

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:40:13 PM »

I can't stand colorization.  DAMN YOU TED TURNER!!!!

If it was made in B/W than it was meant to be seen only in B/W.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »

Personally I don't mind colorization.  I know that's a terribly uncultured thing to say, but, oh well.  Some of the early attempts at it look pretty bad, but the technology seems to have improved to the point where you can't really tell that the film wasn't originally in color.  At least I can't.  I'm not saying I think everything should be colorized and that's all that should be available - no no no - the original versions should always be available and in many cases I prefer them.  Val Lewton's old zombie films have such masterful use of light and shadow, I'd never want to see those in color.  Or Universal's Frankenstein.  But a lot of other stuff, hey, I'll give it a look-see.  I feel that although there's a certain artistic aspect with B&W that is lost with colorization, a lot is gained as well.  It was just a limitation of technology - the stuff in front of the camera was in color, and if they had the ability, most people would have used color film.  And as with most things, only a few people truly had the ability to make full artistic use of the B&W medium.  Many others didn't bother with that stuff, they were just trying to get a story across and didn't have the time or money to worry about all that artsy stuff.  Like Ed Wood.  Personally, I feel that the atmosphere of the B&W Plan 9 is still there (I'm just going by the trailer, haven't seen the whole movie), but we've gained some things like the space man's bright purple coat, the zombie woman's green face makeup, etc.  It's a movie I watch for amusement, and color makes it more amusing.  For me at least  TeddyR

It's not much different from all these Director's Cuts and Unrated Editions we see all the time.  They changed the movie, and I liked the original just fine, but I guess I can live with it.  Who knows, there's a possibility it might actually be an improvenment. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Dr_Malavaqua
Dedicated Viewer

Blind & vengeful

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »

I have no problem with colorization! As stated above, in some cases you can't even tell if it was ever in b/w. But I'd still prefer to watch the original first for the reasons Torgo mentioned:
If it was made in B/W than it was meant to be seen only in B/W.

Then you can just think of the colorized one as an alternate version, which might or might not, be better than the original. (Yes, I said it: "better"!) Probably worse most of the times, but perhaps still worth a look.  Smile
I actually think "Plan 9" looks pretty interesting with a paint job!   Thumbup

"...and there was much rejoicing!"
BixDugan
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »

I bought the Mike Nelson Autographed version. Love the colors! The Purple Shirts of the Aliens really pop out.
The best part is still Vampira. How DID she get her waist so tiny?
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:37:22 PM »

I bought the Mike Nelson Autographed version. Love the colors! The Purple Shirts of the Aliens really pop out.
The best part is still Vampira. How DID she get her waist so tiny?

I saw this interview with her this one time on the internet and she said that she lined her belt with some mild flesh-eating bactiria.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

An abomination I says...colorizing old movies.  Thumbdown

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:29:24 AM »

PLAN 9 is so much fun, you don't need crayons or idiotic commentary to enjoy it.  it's hardly the worst movie ever made, since it has entertained so many people.  it's not boring, like real bad movies are.

colorizing is weak and lame.  people who don't watch b/w movies don't deserve them, and won't watch new crayonized versions of those movies (this one looks way worse than the new Harryhausen discs, which still look pretty lousy).

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plan 9 - In color! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.