Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:39:29 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Good Comic Books, no super-heroes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Good Comic Books, no super-heroes  (Read 13305 times)
Rambo
Dedicated Viewer

« on: March 06, 2008, 06:55:32 PM »

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you like to read an occasional comic-book.
And if so, which ones  you like most. No super-hero stuff please and no marvel as I am beyond this age already (since I was 10 btw). So here are some recommendations for those who know what I am talking about:

"The all hole penetratomat"; Pretty much all of Warren Ellis, especially "Desolation Jones", "Global Frequency", "Fell" and "Necromancer"; Brian Pulido´s "War Angel"; Johnen Vasquez "Johnny the homicidal maniac"; Alex Ross "Kingdom Come" (ok, here´s an exception); Dan Schaffer´s "Scribbler"; Alan Moores "Promethea"; Arthur Adam´s "Monkey Man and O´Brian";

Some Mangas: Lone Wolf & Cub; Berserk; Blame; The Analomator
Bring it on
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »

Simosons comics and Mad magazine's many HI-larious comics.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »

The Walking Dead from Image.

(Your blanket condemnation of Marvel smacks of snobbery, I have to say -- Ed Brubaker's current run on Captain America is just about the best cloak-and-dagger comic you're going to find).

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

(Your blanket condemnation of Marvel smacks of snobbery, I have to say -- Ed Brubaker's current run on Captain America is just about the best cloak-and-dagger comic you're going to find).

Likewise the shunning of superheros. Sure, the genre's been done just about every way it can be, but superhero comics from those very first Superman comics up to the Watchmen and beyond have had a profound influence on our culture. You want some good non-superhero comics, you might check out some of the more dramatic manga from Japan.

One that comes to mind is Koi Kaze, which is as horrific a love story as any I've ever read. You may have seen a happy ending to a horror story, and you may even have seen a horrifying ending to a romantic story, but this one's got a happy ending that's horrifying anyway.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »

I was never really into comics as a kid, but I did read voraciously.

The few that I did read were horror stuff and I can only remember a couple of stories.  They scared the willies out of me.  I also liked Mad magazine and used to collect them but not any more

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Rambo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 05:17:15 AM »

@Killer Bees
Why, that´s all very interesting, please continue with the story of your life Lookingup

One that I forgot but will mention quickly now (before someone else does Twirling )
Niel Gaiman - "Sandman"... just plain fantastic
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »

Gosh...no Marvel comics? No Superheros? Huh?

Not much of a comics reader of the so-called "sophisticated" stuff... I haven't read to many since a kid. But I loved  old KID COLT-OUTLAW,SGT.FURY and his HOWLING COMMANDOS,Kirby era CAPTAIN AMERICA (with the FALCON of course!), MONSTERS on the PROWL, the INVADERS, COMBAT KELLY,Kirby's the ETERNALS,MR.MACHINE,DEVIL DINOSAUAR,Warren mags the SPIRIT,CREEPY EERIE ,VAMPIRELLA, Wrightstons SWAMP THING,Mike Ploog era MAN-THING,Ploog era PLANET of the APES,Gene Colons TOMB of DRACULA and DRACULA LIVES! John Buscema's CONAN!!!! Cripes! I could go on forever!
 I still buy a few old Kirby giant monster comic, Sgt.Fury, and Creepy and Spirit mags from flea markets and garage sales when I run into 'em though.

And why rag on Killer Bees? Kinda rude,I would say...If she want's to tell the story of her life...hell, I'LL read it! Might be dam interesting!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:01:16 AM »

My man, I got ya covered.

Anything by Evan Dorkin:
Milk & Cheese
Dork
Hectic Planet
Bill & Ted
(ect.)

Jhonen Vasquez:
Squee!
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Filler Bunny
I Feel Sick
Bad Art Collection
Everything Can be Beaten
(ect.)

Frank Miller:
Sin City
....and you said no super-hero stuff, so I guess you wouldnt be interested in his awsome Batman and Daredevil stuff.

Peter Bagge:
Hate
Sweatshop
(ect.)

And you should check out this one book called "The Damned". Its about the moffia and Demons!! Neet-o!

Oh, I almost forgot! Any of the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle stuff!! I've been hunting that stuff down.
Also, the "Tales of the T.M.N.T." books are really good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:05:02 AM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 04:11:45 AM »

I must say that's not cool ragging on Killer Bees. It's impolite and not the way we like to roll.

However, I do love comics. I'm glad that KYGOTC mentioned The Damned, that was one cool series. And he mentioned Evan Dorkin! That KYGOTC guy knows cool!

I'm going to second The Walking Dead, which is one series I look forward to every month, which means it's one of the best. I also look forward to Usagi Yojimbo, which is a funny animal series, but just incredibly good. If you want a samurai comic, this is your choice.

Non-superhero, eh? Well, try the graphic novels Blankets by Craig Thompson and Epileptic by David B. Both memoir type books, which are very good.

Watchmen is Alan Moore's crowning work, but if you don't like superheroes, check our From Hell, which is probably his most accomplished work, only there are very few who are willing to follow him down that weird path. Trust me, it's one hell of a lot better than that crappy movie they made out of it. (I don't have high hopes for the Watchmen movie.)

Also, check out Berlin by Jason Lutes. Or Jimmy Corrigan by that Acme Novelty guy.

Want action? Matt Wagner is incredibly good. His current Grendel storyline is something else, but if you want pure action, get Grendel: War Child, one of the best self-contained storylines I've ever read.

These are all suggestions. I love comics, and could talk about them all day. Ever read Eightball? Check it out.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
KYGOTC

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:00:37 PM »

However, I do love comics. I'm glad that KYGOTC mentioned The Damned, that was one cool series. And he mentioned Evan Dorkin! That KYGOTC guy knows cool!

Heh, yea I guess he is pretty niffty.

I'm going to second The Walking Dead, which is one series I look forward to every month, which means it's one of the best. I also look forward to Usagi Yojimbo, which is a funny animal series, but just incredibly good. If you want a samurai comic, this is your choice.

Eh, I couldnt really get into that WALKING DEAD stuff. It s too much about the living and not enough about the un-dead. Everyone else on the planet loves it though, so maybe theres something wrong with me.

N
on-superhero, eh? Well, try the graphic novels Blankets by Craig Thompson and Epileptic by David B. Both memoir type books, which are very good.

Also dig Craig Tompson's "GOODBYE CHUNKY RICE"

Want action? Matt Wagner is incredibly good. His current Grendel storyline is something else, but if you want pure action, get Grendel: War Child, one of the best self-contained storylines I've ever read.

Grendel is really cool, but most of the time the story confuses the hell out of me.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »

That was very rude of you Rambo, in fact, I would write my life story on this board out of spite right now, but I've got stuff to do.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

i made a simple little slideshow-type video for one of my favorite comics of all time, black hole.

Small | Large

it was released as a graphic novel earlier this year, and i'd suggest that anyone who doesn't like capes/codenames/sidekicks should look into it.

KYGOTC

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 02:16:49 AM »

i made a simple little slideshow-type video for one of my favorite comics of all time, black hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOlxORUUcu4

it was released as a graphic novel earlier this year, and i'd suggest that anyone who doesn't like capes/codenames/sidekicks should look into it.

People keep telling me to pick that up, but the book is rahter pricy, probobly because its so friggin' BIG. So its on my to do list.

ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 04:22:58 AM »

believe me, if you're into this sort of thing, it's totally worth it at $16-$18 dollars.

i would note, however, that the collected graphic novel doesn't include all of the gorgeous color cover illustrations that i used in my slideshow.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »

There's Boneyard by Richard Moore.  Its about a man who inherits a graveyard that is home to all sorts of monsters like a werewolf, a vampire, a fish-woman.  It sounds like a horror book, right?  In actuallity its more of a comedy, situation comic book.  There's no blood.  Most stuff is played for laughs.  It's not R-but maybe a little more than PG-13 if it was rated on a movie scale.

The Goon is non-superhero book that I really enjoy.  There supposedly making a cartoon movie of it.  The Goon defends the citizens of the city form The Zombie Preist and other evil forces.  He does it under the disguise of a thug working for a violent mobster (who he killed years ago)  Currently the staus-qo of the book is changing dramtically, so find some of the TPB, or back issues.  This book would be labeld as horror comedy. A bit darker than the Ghostbusters.

Blue Water Comics is doing a lot of mini-series based on old movies like 20 Million Miles to Earth, Eath vs the Flying Saurces.  There getting ready to luanch some based on Leprechaun and Warlock.

This series is about to end, but I highly recommend Planetary by Warren Ellis.  It's not technically a super-hero book, but rather about the discovery of the secret history of superheroes.  Its more science fiction and mystery that super heroic adventures.  The art was amazing, the writing was super smart.  I've told peole this was one of the best books out there when it was created.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Good Comic Books, no super-heroes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.