Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:13:46 PM
714388 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question on the different types of video cables « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question on the different types of video cables  (Read 3219 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 10, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »

This has puzzled me for some time.  There are all sorts of different types of cables for hooking up your home audio/video equipment:  coax cable, rca cables, component video, S video, HDMI, coax audio, optical audio, etc.  I know which ones are supposedly best and which are worst, but the way I see it, your TV signal travels for miles through wires, then for dozens of feet through your house on coax cable, but it seems extremely important that the last few feet from the cable box to the TV be run with some fancy cable.  Does the signal somehow change once it leaves the cable box, making it extremely susceptible to anything but the finest cable? 

I mean, if I, and average Joe, were to replace all the RCA cables with component video and S video cables, is there any chance I'd actually notice a difference?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:03:25 AM »

Well, it sort of all depends on the TV you are using and the equipment you are hooking up to the TV.

Composite Cables (AKA RCA Cables) - These are your standard Red, Yellow, and White cables.  If you have a standard, non-HD TV then this is what you have probably been using for quite some time now.  They are good enough, and the picture is much better than that of just standard coax cable.

S-Video - This is the step up from RCA cables.  The way that S-Video works is that you still have to leave your RCA audio cables plugged in along with the S-Video cable.  S-Video ONLY transfers video.  You'll get a crisper picture than what you would with standard RCA cables.  If S-Video is an option, then I recommend using it over RCA.

Component - Component was the first of the HD options that come out.  An SDTV will generally not have component inputs.  You'll see them on EDTVs and HDTVs.  Each color (red, blue, green, etc) are split up into their own cables so each cable is dedicated to the one color.  If you have an EDTV, then I recommend using this option if your DVD player supports it.  If you have an HDTV that doesn't have HDMI, then I recommend it in that situation as well.

HDMI - HDMI, to me, is sort of the holy grail of system cables.  It's a small cable that delivers crystal clear picture (up to 1080p) and audio all in the same cable.  It reduces all of the clutter you have with every other option and if your TV can handle it, it gives you the best picture possible.  I have a 22" HDTV in my bedroom with my XBOX360 hooked up to it via HDMI.  It's truly amazing just how simple and neat everything is with this option.  If you do have an HDTV with HDMI and a device that has an HDMI output then there is no question, use it!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »

Composite, the yellow RCA plug, combines luminance and chrominance signals (the B&W picture and the colours) into one signal, just like analog TV broadcasting but without converting that to a radio signal. The combined signal is then split apart by the TV's comb filter into luminance and chrominance. Each conversion comes with a small loss of quality.

S-Video keeps luminance and chominance separate, retaining picture quality.

Component has plugs for red, green and blue, and usually one for synchronization. It works a bit like a computer's VGA connector.

All of these require separate audio cables, either analog RCA, digital RCA or fibre.

HDMI carries a digital signal directly (video, audio, the lot), without any analog conversion or even data compression. No loss of quality whatsoever between video source and TV.

Personally, I use S-Video at home. It's noticeably sharper than composite, and sharp enough that I haven't bothered to try hooking up component from the DVD (which would mess up my switching arrangements anyway). If you have a setup like mine, with a satellite, DVD, receiver and VCR, component video doesn't offer enough benefit over S-Video to be worth having one oddball component (two, counting the VCR's composite). It adds a couple of unnecessary steps to switch the video source on the TV as well as on the receiver.

I have no reason to try HDMI yet, but it would, at the very least, simplify the cabling.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:37:33 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question on the different types of video cables « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.