Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:01:48 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  10 most prophetic sci fi movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 10 most prophetic sci fi movies  (Read 6252 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 29, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »

another one of these articles.  What about plan 9?  hello?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »

It wasn't a movie, but back in the late '90's the pilot episode of FOX's The Lone Gunmen, a spinoff from The X-Files, was all about a plot to fly a commercial jetliner into the World Trade Center.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »

That's actually a more well put together approach than those type of lists usually amount to.  They took the time(albeit briefly) to consider the implications of the films rather than measuring them as Jeane Dixonesque prophecy. 

Simply taking a sci-fi film out of it's contemporaneous context and applauding or dismissing it based on superficial qualities is useless (So we're not driving up and down the sides of buildings or eating each other as green cheez-its yet?  Boy were they wrong!).

Interestingly, while yes, we don't actually have folks slaughtering each other in prime-time RUNNING MAN-style just yet, that incident some years ago with the Jenny Jones says to me that it may all be a matter of equivocation.

I'm glad someone else in the universe finally addressed the rampant use of flamethrowers in post-apocalyptic societies.  Neo-dark ages don't necessarily imply impracticality.
And their less than subtle concern with 'sweaty Hestons' was hilarious.  BounceGiggle

ps   they may have been a bit premature in dismissing the notion of replicants.... Wink

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »

I'm glad someone else in the universe finally addressed the rampant use of flamethrowers in post-apocalyptic societies.

I have to say though that in the capacity they are used in Road Warrior, it does make quite  a bit of sense. They don't use hoards of fuel, they are VERY effective at closer ranges across an area, they are VERY simple to build and can be constructed largely of existing parts. The amount of fuel used by the flamethrowers in RW is insignificant compared to the amount of fuel and energy required to build a rifle from scratch.

In RW, there didn't seem to be a source of new ammo, and bow-and-arrow don't work so well against vehicles. Better to burn up a bit of fuel in keeping your enemy from taking it all from you.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

The BRAIN that WOULDN'T DIE....someday...it will happen.

1940-living dog head....

Small | Large

1970....Monkey head transplant...
Small | Large

Hmmm....I wonder if the 1940 tape is proganda or real.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »

and bow-and-arrow don't work so well against vehicles.

It really depends on the marksmanship of the archer in question. Granted shooting a bolt or arrow at a charging deathmobile may be quite feeble. However if you are a good enough shot you may be able to exploit a weakness in the design of the vehicle, perhaps you can hit the driver or pilot, shatter or crack a window. You just need to be creative. A weapon is nothing without the skill of its user.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »

lester1/2jr,

Just how does Plan 9 qualify as prophetic?  And if you say because it prophesied the trend in horrible low-budget movies I'm going to hit my head against the wall.   Wink

Besides, after looking the article over, I think this guy's been cheezing.  While there's some interesting points the compiler either doesn't know sci-fi very well or is ignoring the genre to make their blunt points.  For instance. .

[RANT ON]
Videophones: These not only did NOT first appear in 2001: A Space Odyssey (I think that honor may go to Metropolis) they have been a staple of sci-fi since before it was called sci-fi.  Besides which they did and do exist (granted not commercially)- though they have been rendered obsolete by personal computer vidcams, why no mention of these?-  so saying he is "undecided" is just, well, bizarre.

Government-sanctioned suicide: Undecided, eh?  But aren't such kits already available in some European countries by prescription?  And didn't 60 minutes or 20/20 do a report on plans to distribute euthanasia kit’s in the U.S. quite a few years back?   Either this guy is very uninformed or they're putting something in my drinking water.  I like that he mentions CHILDREN OF MEN, it's a nice contemporary movie reference most people will probably get.   Problem is the presence of such kits in that movie is incidental.  The movie/mini-series I'd have referenced would be the bleak remake of ON THE BEACH as suicide kits play a prominent role in that. 

Industrial cannibalism:  A miss?  So this couldn't happen eh?  I guess that means feeding renet to animals- as in mixing parts of dead animals, including their feces, into feed- doesn't happen and isn't big business; not to mention being part of the problem that leads to "downer cow" syndrome or whatever they're calling it now.  It may not be humans eating humans but when people can justify feeding animals to animals because it's making them money how long until people figure there's something far more lucrative to do with dead people than bury them. . . OH, WAIT, they've already caught people illegally selling cadavers, or parts taken from cadavers, to the medical establishment.

Iris scans:  Undecided? Called "completely feasible", which I am guessing is the author's way of saying they could theoretically exist but don't.  Problem is they do exist, as does a host of other biometric security devices; they're just not commercially mass market available yet.  Then again the same used to hold true for pregnancy tests and now you can get such kits in DOLLAR stores!!!

Jet packs:  Undecided?  Is this guy joking?  This is a total miss.  The idea for personal jet packs have existed since the first pulps and were a fad of the 70s, indeed they appeared in a host of TV shows and movies (Ark II, Million Dollar Man, &tc).  Alas they aren't feasible for a host of reasons.  Now personal anti-grav packs. .
[/RANT OFF]

Otherwise a interesting selection of futuristic movies, but hardly a definitive TOP TEN.  Why wasn't FRANKENSTEIN mentioned?  That has to be the first movie in which human transplants are referenced.  While science fiction at the time it's science fact today.  And why doesn't this list include any of Fritz Lang's movies?  That I just don't understand.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 05:48:23 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »

It really depends on the marksmanship of the archer in question. Granted shooting a bolt or arrow at a charging deathmobile may be quite feeble. However if you are a good enough shot you may be able to exploit a weakness in the design of the vehicle, perhaps you can hit the driver or pilot, shatter or crack a window. You just need to be creative. A weapon is nothing without the skill of its user.

Yes, technically, someone could hit some weak part of a vehicle with some success, but in the context of the discussion, it's far-fetched enough to be irrelevant. If you remember, there wee dozens of vehicles in RW, requiring dozens of your lucky shots. A flamethrower is easy: Point and shoot. Hey, the fire is a little to the left of my target? OK, keep the trigger pulled and  point a little more toward the right.

I'm really not seeing any weakness on a vehicle that an arrow could exploit that a flamethrower couldn't.

You're right about a weapon being nothing without the skill of it's user, but some weapons don't really require any special skill, while other require quite a bit to be useful at all.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »

You're absolutely correct. I just did not want to totally write off the bow. It really is an underestimated weapon. I believe that Ben Franklin actually tried to suggest to the colonial leadership to adopt the bow over the musket because the wood was plentiful and they were more accurate than muskets. Anyways A flamethrower is definitely a more effective weapon in most cases. Especially if that flamethrower is based on throwing that flaming jelly.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 09:49:33 PM by Justy » Logged

Dave M
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »

I love it in movies when a million archers all let loose a volley all at once (so it looks like it's raining arrows). I wonder how hard that is, since you don't have to aim really? Maybe they could have had all the children and old people do that, while the able bodied people manned the ramparts or whatever. Except for that one kid with the boomerang of course, he was like a Jedi with that.
Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:41:46 PM »

Very well written list. And "Destination Moon" is a total bore.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »

The most prophetic Sci-Fi seems to me to be simply the sci-fi that relies most heavily on real life science or on the writings of the more visionary science fiction writers which isn't all that unexpected when you really stop and think about it.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:13 PM »

I really think that its difficult for any Sci Fi to be prophetic today. Back in the 40's and 50's sure. Today so many people are connected, exchanging ideas and reading the work of the others that the average Sci Fi fan of today is far more educated than his 50's contemporaries. I think that pretty much every theory has been brought into Sci Fi in one fashion or another. Robots, AI, space travel, dimensions, genetic manipulation... ho hum. We are so spoiled. Yeah you can say some authors have creative takes on things, but its hard to say where today's prophets can lead in a direction. With technology you see and project a logical progression of how it be changed and adapted, there are things that we would like to do... but those things that we want to aren't really prophetic. Larry Nivens Ringworld is an excellent piece of prophetic Sci Fi that was a far out concept, but that came out over thirty years ago. I don't consider Gattica prophetic because all those Big Brother concepts were already espoused by Orwell. The Matrix was pre-saged by Neuromancer. So any honest prophetic movies are the old ones, but even those writers were often already in scientific fields and were trading on inside information. So really the list is limited for honest prophetic movies.

peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »

This is not a film, but on David Ossman's science fiction/comedy solo albumn, "Mark Time", an astronaut from the past comes to the future & is told his government from 1972 "resigned".  This was about 3 years before Nixon actually really DID resign -- what was intended as a joke became eerily prophetic reality.  That and the history of the "Oil Wars" on the same record.  Firesign Theatre was creepily on target on so many of their predictions that you sometimes have to check the release date on the albumn to make sure they're not commenting on current events.
Check out "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus", from 1971, and be amazed at the cloning, holography, and computer simulant realities that we're living right now . . .
peter johnson/denny not my real self

I have no idea what this means.
peter johnson

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

The dog head experiment is both propaganda and real --
The Soviets were big on doing all sorts of flashy stuff that had no actual application in real life.  In the late '50's/early '60's they created a string of two-headed dogs by grafting & etc.  Most of these chimeras died very quickly, as I'm certain that poor animate head did also.  They were also careful to not mention that Laika the space dog was killed by her space voyage.
There is no doubting the ingenuity of individual Russian scientists, but their talents were frequently squandered.  Read the biography of Lev Segeyevitch Termen (Theremin).  Termen invented practical television a good decade before Philo Farnsworth, but Stalin kept it a "state secret" & gave it to the Office of State Security.  Ditto a whole bunch of other stuff.  Then he was thrown into the Gulag for not being sufficiently Soviet.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  10 most prophetic sci fi movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.