Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:18:00 AM
714439 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  They Live (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: They Live (1988)  (Read 2084 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: April 06, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a$s and I'm all outta bubblegum" - Nada.

Now any movie with a line like that certainly can't be all bad and this film does deliver some good action thrills. Where it falters is in terms of believability as our heroes, Rowdy Roddy Piper's Nada and Keith David's Frank basically just stumble headlong into their enemies headquarters and luckily or unluckily as the plot may have just tend to be in the right, or is that sometimes the wrong, perfect place to advance the action buddy plot. One that features one of the most ridiculously drawn out and overlong fight scenes ever put to film, here actually done as a means of cementing the friendship between the two leads.

The original premise of aliens using subliminal messaging to control humanity is a great concept and it works well here up to a point. Obviously it can be argued as something of a metaphor for the priveleged in society using media as a means to subdue the general public, to make them slow and dimwitted with mindless soul sucking entertainment, so that they and their chosen ilk remain on top. Something in which some might find some truth, especially given todays reality TV and edited news content, while others might well argue differently. This is one of those films which had a great original sci-fi concept but ultimately went the simpler action hero buddy route so is it itself somewhat dumbed down to appeal to the wider masses? Whatever the case, I enjoyed it mostly for the performance given by Rowdy Roddy Piper as Nada, who seems like a likable everyman type who ultimately has to make a choice based upon principle. To reluctantly try and save humanity or to take the easy route and sell out. Good stuff that proves watchable time and time again for me although it's one of those films that I think people either love or dislike. Carpenter's music is great and very fitting and definitely adds a lot to the viewing experience of THEY LIVE for me. "We Sleep. They Live."  *** out of *****
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:57:03 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »

I thought this was an excellent movie.  My only dislike was that you could only see "They" in black and white, the constant switching just bugged me.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:34:09 PM »

I loved this movie.  It had some excellent paranoia, an interesting premise, guns, and cheesy dialogue.  Frankly, it was the big fight scene with the black guy that I finally realized it was "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (I'm no wrestling fan). 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Neville

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »

Good film, but certainly not among Carpenter's best. I like the premise, and the B/W shots are amazing, but the whole thing then turns into a sort of silly action movie, and Carpenter is good at many things, but not at silly action. Didn't care much for the fight scene either.

The final scene is lots of fun, though.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »

I watched this movie for the first time a couple of days ago.  I liked it...but it could have been better.

This would be a good movie to remake but with a more serious tone (outside of the constant Carpenter soundtrack).  I think that's what bugged me.  It was tongue in cheek but maybe a little bit too tongue in cheek.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »

I watched this one just a few nights ago after seeing Jase's post on here.  I hadn't seen the film since the early 90s or so, and it surprisingly held up pretty well.  Sure, Piper's dialogue is groan inducing, but the film works in spite of it.  One thing that really surprised me is just how damn creepy the alien makeup still strikes me.  There is something truly unsettling about the alien design and I'm sure it is the reason why the film is still so remembered.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »

I watched this one just a few nights ago after seeing Jase's post on here.  I hadn't seen the film since the early 90s or so, and it surprisingly held up pretty well.  Sure, Piper's dialogue is groan inducing, but the film works in spite of it.  One thing that really surprised me is just how damn creepy the alien makeup still strikes me.  There is something truly unsettling about the alien design and I'm sure it is the reason why the film is still so remembered.

I think that's because the makeup kind of looks like a skull.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »

One of my personal favorites. Saw this one in theaters back when I was 13 years old(!).

The movie at times is a bit undermined at certain points by it's minuscule budget, but most of the time that actually works to its favor.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  They Live (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.