Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:08:01 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Offbeat Cartoon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Offbeat Cartoon  (Read 6131 times)
JJ80
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »

I saw this odd black and white animation when I was very, very young. It seemed to be about a black soldier in some sort of polluted retro/futuristic world. His unit all wore WW2 type uniforms with permanent gas masks and bolt-action rifles. Things got really weird when he ran into a cathedral decorated with hundreds of statues of angels which proceeded to come to life!
He later turned into an angel himself when he was ordered to shoot them down by his C.O.  The film ended with a news broadcast about the rest of the plot. All the dialogue was in English.

Thanks for your attention!

Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

From what I know of it, possibly "In the Aftermath" from 1988.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JJ80
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »

Thanks for your suggestion but that isn't it I'm afraid although the angels and gas mask do fit. The film in question was a short that was shown as part of a t.v show about world animation so it had to be less than 30 minutes in length. Also, it was definitely shown before 1988.
Thanks anyway.
JJ80
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »

These details might help a little:

-The angels were drawn fairly conventionally but had no arms only wings.
                                          -The soldier was portrayed as being mentally strained and was perhaps trying to desert when he ran into the cathedral.
                                          - The final news broadcast sequence was broken up by a repeated shot of one of the soldiers quickly moving his head from eyes left to eyes right.
                                         - The main character had an African-American sounding voice but the newsreader spoke in a stentorian English accent as in an old U.K cinema newsreel.

Hope this helps.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

Finding shorts can be incredibly hard.  About what year did you see the film.

I could not find much about them, but here are two animated shorts about angels I found on the IMDb.  The first is the most promising, as it does blend mechanical and angels:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058246/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0341618/

The second, I cannot find any description anywhere.  It just matches angels, short, animation.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JJ80
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:20:39 PM »

Thanks again but neither film matches what I remember. I knew this was going to be a shot in the dark as I think that the animation in question is very obscure.
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »

I've seen this as well. I believe I saw it in the mid to late 80s at an animation festival (like the International Tournee of Animation or the Animation Celebration). I wonder if you might be able to find it if you can track down a listing of the shorts on each of those videos...
JJ80
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »

Thanks Rayo, I'm looking into the matter right now.  Thumbup
JJ80
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

I'm starting to think that the mystery film could be "Operation X-70" a Belgian short from 1971. I found some stills from it and a couple of plot synopsis which seem to partially but not exactly fit the film that I remember. The rub is that the plot described seems a little too 'heavy' for an afternoon showing.
JJ80
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »

Case Closed! It was ""Operation X-70". I read a detailed synopsis from a German film site (Mitternatchskino) including stills. Too many details match for this not to be the mystery short:

- Black & White minimalist animation;
- Soldiers in gas masks due to the X-70 chemical weapon.
- Plot presented as a scientific lecture which explains the narrated montage sequence;
- Mutation of human arms into wings due to a chemical/biological weapon;
- Sky filled with angels at the end;
- The eyes left/eyes right final scene probably relates to the religious leader character wearing a two-faced respirator;

Thanks for all the suggestions!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:33:28 PM by JJ80 » Logged
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »

Great!You can buy a copy here:
http://www.awn.com/gallery/servais/
http://store.awn.com/home.php

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Offbeat Cartoon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.