Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:47:44 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Count Yorga Vampire (1970) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Count Yorga Vampire (1970)  (Read 3627 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: March 10, 2004, 08:28:03 PM »

COUNT YORGA VAMPIRE (1970) - Great vampire film starring Robert Quarry in this modern vampire story set in Los Angeles, CA. The beginning is neat with the narration and the coffin riding in the back of a pick up truck on the highway. The way the vampires come at you is both creepy and fun. You also get a good dose of vampire lore as the film follows the vampire legend quite closely. If you haven't seen it yet then check it out as you won't be dissapointed.

I've been trying to catch this one on TV for about 4 years and finally saw it today on FLIX. THE RETURN OF COUNT YORGA is also a good one, but the original is the best.

eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 10:47:14 PM »

.  .  .  .  I taped it during Monsterfest 2002 (I try to catch old horror/sci-fi films during the 'Fests), but AMC edits ("with a weedwacker" someone has said), so it wasn't the real version.  From what I know TCM doesn't edit, perhaps neither does FLIX (don't have it).  I liked the sequence where they tried to keep Yorga upstairs during the evening visit, so that the light would hurt him (is that right?).  Could one film actually have a vamp that stupid?  (Insert an answer for a film I haven't seen, not an expert at vamp films, or any genre for that matter).  That sub-genre convention can be boring, but they shot it so well.  The van sequence is also great, but I don't remember the ending, I am only seeing those tables with restraints.  Haven't seen number two, though.  Didn't really like the film (It was OK), I was thinking that a film about vampires that opens with a seance should be quite enjoyable, but it's not really my style I guess.
.  .  .  .  OT:  I shouldn't be asking this, but, did you get the Something Weird sampler from other than their website?   Buying direct from distributers usually equals a hefty shipping cost.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 10:56:38 PM »

eeeee5 wrote:

> liked the sequence where they tried to keep Yorga upstairs during the evening

> visit, so that the light would hurt him (is that right?). Could one film actually have a

> vamp that stupid?

Well, he was quite aware that it was getting close to dawn and did cut the time short so he could get back to his coffin. The reason he was prolonging telling them to leave was he didn't want them to suspect that he was indeed a vampire. That's how I saw it.

The SOMETHING WEIRD SAMPLER I bought from Borders bookstore for $5.99 and it has like about 100 previews. Great stuff. You must have read the NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES post.

eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 11:41:20 PM »

.  .  .  .  I'm sorry for writing it in that manner, I meant it as a joke about the narrative convention, I got the plot point.  I wrote the question as to whether or not I had remembered the right film.  And no, I didn't read the post, I have EESP, it works on electrical waves.
[edit:]  Thanks for listing the sampler.

Post Edited (03-10-04 23:33)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 05:44:31 PM »

I haven't seen this movie in at least 20 years, so I don't remember much about it.

However, I do have a DVD copy of SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM sitting at home, still in the shrink wrap, waiting to be watched.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 09:30:54 PM »

Definately worth another look just for a refresher Burgomaster. I really enjoyed both COUNT YORGA films and both BLACULA and SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »

On TCM TONIGHT 2AM EST: COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:36:52 AM »

I saw this one with my wife, as I recall it was a fairly good movie, held our interest and moved along at a good pace. My fondest memory of the film is how grossed out the wife was over the woman who ate half her cat and the got very sick. She covered her face with both hands and said "Why do they have to show things like that? Why do you like these crappy movies?" She's put up with this sort of thing for going on 38 years now so I guess she must love me.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:10:52 AM »

I think it's an ok vampire flik. I like where one of the victums is in the basement about to get killed by Yorga and his vampire chicks and he screaming for his freind-"Micheal Micheal!' and Yorga is mocking him by yelling it too.
 (I kinda hold a thing against Mr. Quarry for saying that if he was as bad an actor as Bela Lugosi,he would find another line of work...Who's a Legend and who's a half assed has been ,Mr.Quarry?!?!? Eh? Grrrr... Hatred)
SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM is worth it for the appearance of Pam Greir alone!  Twirling Yummy!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »

I think it's an ok vampire flik. I like where one of the victums is in the basement about to get killed by Yorga and his vampire chicks and he screaming for his freind-"Micheal Micheal!' and Yorga is mocking him by yelling it too.
 (I kinda hold a thing against Mr. Quarry for saying that if he was as bad an actor as Bela Lugosi,he would find another line of work...Who's a Legend and who's a half assed has been ,Mr.Quarry?!?!? Eh? Grrrr... Hatred)
SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM is worth it for the appearance of Pam Greir alone!  Twirling Yummy!
Pretty much agree; but if you're a fan of 70s schlock, COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE is a must see. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

I very fondly remember going to see both the Count Yorga films just a couple of months apart at our little local movie theater. We all thought Yorga was the scariest vampire ever, but we'd never seen any of the Hammer films. And both had those great "SURPISE!" endings. I think we saw them coming even back then, but they still got some loud screams in the theater.

Our terrific little Lake Theater also showed BLACULA, but not SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM. 1973 was the same year that WALKING TALL was released, and I think it played at The Lake for almost a year (or so it seemed at the time - I saw it at least three times since there was nothing else playing), muscling out most of the other 1973 releases. Fortunately it closed in time for us to get to see SISTERS!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:30 PM »

Count Yorga was pretty mediocre, I think it was actually the first film I saw where I noticed "bad acting". Yorga had it's moments (The basement scene was excellent) but the sequel despite having a similar plot and a retconned storyline is legions better and is actually among those films I see that I can let scare me. The Return's acting was better all around (Except from Yorga and his henchman, at their usual best), the sets were grander, and the climax was epic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
peter johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

I saw this on the big screen when it first came out --
The thing I remember most is that when the girl vampires are coming through the sliding glass doors, the camera pans right across part of the film crew in the background, standing around a klieg light.  Wonderful!!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Niolani
Dedicated Viewer

Space warrior

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 04:03:48 PM »

I bought that movie a few months ago on DVD. When I watched it, I was like "WTF?" This movie was soooooo bad.  Buggedout
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Count Yorga Vampire (1970) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.