Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:39:53 PM
714416 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sinister Cinema message concerning "other movie companies" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sinister Cinema message concerning "other movie companies"  (Read 3265 times)
Classic Camp
Dedicated Viewer

« on: April 21, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »

Recently, I received this e-mail from Sinister Cinema, as I'm sure many of you also did. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this were as it's usually a pretty hot topic.

Howdy.

By now you should have received the new 2008-2009 Sinister Cinema Catalog.  If you haven't, please let us know.  Also let us know if you received last year's catalog by mistake.  There are hundreds of titles to peruse through including well over 100 brand new and recent DVD releases.  The mailing of the catalog also marked the return of the $98 Special, which you can find more info on by going to the Sinister website at www.sinistercinema.com

We have had a number of supportive comments regarding our statement regarding other video companies, which was found on the first page of the new catalog.  One thing we did not mention in this statement is that it appears that some of the video companies we referred to are now actually burning their own logo over the top of the Sinister "sc" logo when they use Sinister VHS and DVD product to make their own DVD masters from.  This was brought to our attention over the last few days and it does indeed appear to be true.  At any rate here is our original statement in case you missed it...

A word about other video companies

We have had many people call or write, asking us if we license our film materials to other video companies. This question arises after they purchase videos from other companies that sometimes display the little Sinister Cinema "SC" logo at the bottom right of the screen at certain times during the movie. The answer to this question is no, we do not generally license our materials to other companies with the occasional exception of our friends at Rhino or Retromedia (there are also certain companies we wholesale Sinister product to like Movies Unlimited or Filmfax). The reason you are seeing our logo on non-Sinister product is because over the past several years two or three video companies in particular have been taking store-bought Sinister Cinema titles—often old Sinister VHS copies—and using them to make their own DVD masters. In many cases they make no attempt to hide the fact that they have used Sinister Cinema product to make these masters. That is why you see our logo. These masters are one video generation down from the original Sinister product (let alone the original Sinister masters) and are of inferior quality. In many cases, these companies have laid down a black bar to hide our logo, but the quality loss cannot be hidden. We estimate that one company in particular has used literally hundreds of Sinister commercial VHS and DVD copies to make DVD masters from. Keep in mind, because we use largely public domain titles, their usage of our product in this manner appears to be legal. We ourselves have occasionally used out-of-print VHS titles, old laser disc titles, or obscure foreign sources to make masters from—most PD companies do this from time to time—but this is the exception rather than the norm. However, these other companies have taken this practice to an astonishing level in recent years, and Sinister Cinema appears to be their favorite source for low cost mastering materials. It is regrettable for film collectors that these companies choose to spend much of their money on colorful, professional packaging while spending so little on obtaining quality film elements for the actual movies they intend to release. So if you prefer to pay only a few dollars for movies that have great packaging, but are generated down from their original source materials, then companies like these will be to your liking. We hold no ill will toward these companies. As we said before, this practice in most cases appears to be legal thus far, but we have had so many inquiries and comments that we thought we should make a statement.

"To a new world of Gods and Monters!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »

Hi Classic Camp,
Obviously, a mixed topic; I'd say SINISTER CINEMA recognizes they have no leg to stand on, yet, they are doing all of the work (and I have lots of their tapes and they do good work with this PUBLIC DOMAIN material)  and some wild boars are taking advantage of their work, and, as they note, legally.  What crap.  The response to my old pals at SINISTER CINEMA has to be "Tuff sheet."  Sorry, guys, you're all making money off of lost films, grade b, c, d and z flix that "most people" don't want to look at, but so many of us are eager for.   "The educated consumer is our best customer..."  Bluesad 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Classic Camp
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »

How's it going Allhallowsday?
Yeah, either way this battle is pretty interesting. I'd be a heck of a hypocrite if I took Sinister's side 100%, but I certainly understand their frustration. Still I think these "other companies" have missed the boat on some of my favorite stuff that Sinister has. In other words, for me anyway, if these other companies didn't offer the product at a cheaper price I probably wouldn't buy them at all, while the stuff I would pay Sinister's higher dollar amount for, hasn't been realeased by these other companies. It's an interesting saga, and thanks for the input.

"To a new world of Gods and Monters!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:51 AM »

a perfect illustration of why it's not only annoying but useless to put your company or channels logo in the corner of the screen.

that's the number one trnd that should die ASAP
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »

I agree with Lester.  I was once looking at buying a movie but read in the reviews that there was a logo on the screen.  The chance of me buying it instantly dropped to zero.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:06:44 AM »

It's enough we have it on every channel on tv.  why not just put your logo in the lower right corner of my eyeball
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sinister Cinema message concerning "other movie companies" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.