Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:40:23 AM
714427 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sleep Disorders « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sleep Disorders  (Read 2514 times)
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« on: September 16, 2009, 02:16:05 AM »

I have couple sleep disorders which can be a pain to deal with. The worst of these is Hypnagogia hallucinations. What they are is where you are in the phase between being awake and falling asleep, you experience vivid hallucinations triggered by your subconscious. I usually experience auditory and tactile hallucination once a week when trying to got o sleep. Worst is the tactile ones because I get the feeling of someone climbing in bed with me and then look only to see no one is there. It frightens me severely because last thing you want when you are trying to sleep is the bed to feel like it's moving and find no one in it but yourself. The auditory ones are not that bad. Usually it's people whispering or a dog growling, sometimes both. Fortunately prescription sleep aids help but it's hard to go back to bed after one of these events.
The other I have is sleep apnea. I have a CPAP machine which helps with that. Granted loosing about 100 pounds would also help with it.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:10:13 AM »

My Uncle walks in his sleep.  He put a couple of chairs next to the TV because he'd go back there and get all tangled up in the wires.   TeddyR 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »

Hypnagogia hallucinations

I used to have these, mine were of a group of people standing around me hitting me with hammers. I had them mostly when I was in the Army it seemed, especially when I went back to my parent's house on leave. I have/have had several other sleep disorders. I used to get some weird night terrors that I couldn't wake up from, I remember trying to open my eyelids with my fingers to wake myself up. It was like I was literally half awake, and the half that was asleep was having a horrible dream that wouldn't end. Much of the nightmares revolved around a long-time friend that died right after I joined the Army. I get insomnia quite a bit, or at least used to, seems better now, but I have NEVER slept all the way through the night. I ALWAYS wake up and check the time around midnight, and again around 3 or so. I then almost always wake up 30-45 minutes before my alarm goes off. For some reason I always get the feeling that a drink or two will help me sleep, but it just ensures that I sleep good for about 10 minutes, then I'm back to being wide awake. I also get a weird tingly feeling in my legs that annoys me bad enough I can't sleep sometimes.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:11:34 PM »

I had hypnogogic hallucinations, but they seem to have gone away.  I used to have "out of body" experiences where I would feel like I was floating out of my body and up around my room (they were clearly dreams, because I saw things on the walls that did not exist).  They were accompanied by a very unpleasant, hard to describe "buzzing" sensation, and a panic at not being able to wake myself quickly enough.

I also suspect that I have sleep apnea, and need to get checked for it sometime. 

I frequently have a very annoying sleep disturbance where I will fall asleep quickly and sleep deeply for about an hour, then wake up and be unable to go back to sleep for 2-3 hours.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Cthulhu

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »

I have couple sleep disorders which can be a pain to deal with. The worst of these is Hypnagogia hallucinations. What they are is where you are in the phase between being awake and falling asleep, you experience vivid hallucinations triggered by your subconscious. I usually experience auditory and tactile hallucination once a week when trying to got o sleep. Worst is the tactile ones because I get the feeling of someone climbing in bed with me and then look only to see no one is there. It frightens me severely because last thing you want when you are trying to sleep is the bed to feel like it's moving and find no one in it but yourself. The auditory ones are not that bad. Usually it's people whispering or a dog growling, sometimes both. Fortunately prescription sleep aids help but it's hard to go back to bed after one of these events.
The other I have is sleep apnea. I have a CPAP machine which helps with that. Granted loosing about 100 pounds would also help with it.
That must be really annoying, but it sounds kind of cool. Hypnagogia, that is. Yeah, I know I'm an idiot. Sorry.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »

That must be really annoying, but it sounds kind of cool. Hypnagogia, that is. Yeah, I know I'm an idiot. Sorry.
Well it would be really cool if I happen to see a hot large breasted nude woman with them when I feel someone climbing in the bed, even if it was a hallucination. But when no one is there and you hear stuff in the dark, you tend to be freaked out. Granted Hypnagogia hallucinations is the source of most supposed haunting where a person claims a ghost shakes their bed. Why when I hear about an alleged haunting, I won't believe it possible if it is only related to events that happen prior to a person falling asleep. Yeah, I do believe in ghost but I also feel that the bulk of hauntings are explainable by means other than the supernatural such as Hypnagogia hallucinations.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »

After 2 years of a woman headbutting me in the middle of the night, and then 2 years of a 95yr old with alzheimers blaring a TV too loud at 3am, I'm kinda not used to sleeping well. I get about 5 hours a night and find it hard to adjust my body clock. I love sleep though, an I've noticed how cranky I am most of the time due to being wiped out.

jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

I know exactly what you are talking about meQal!

I have this reoccuring hallucination of a cold hand violently grasping my foot, and most of my dreams follow with a ringing in my ear. They only last for about 3-10 seconds, but they sure scare the hot sh*t out of me!  Buggedout

I'm glad someone put a name to this, I thought I was just trippin' balls.  BounceGiggle

-Jimmybob

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »

From what I've read, I'm pretty sure I've got sleep apnea. Haven't bothered getting it diagnosed though my doctor did once write me a prescription to go to a sleep disorder clinic to check it out.

I only once had the hypnagogic experience. I didn't realize that was considered a disorder, I thought it was supposed to be a fairly common experience (in the sense that a lot of people experience it at least once). I thought mine was actually kind of cool in that you could tell it like a ghost story. It was tactile. I could feel someone's hand touching my back and my butt. I could look around and see the bedroom. I had a pretty good idea what was going on as I've read about this phenomenon so I was kind of fascinated. When I finally looked behind me, the experience ended.

I'd like to believe it was a ghost experience but unfortunately it fits right in with the classic "old hag" stuff.

I snore loudly and also (I have been told) have episodes where I stop breathing during the night. It never wakes me up though.

I don't sleep walk in the sense of getting out of bed, but sometimes unfortunately I have fight dreams and my arms are actually moving.

venomx
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »

I have nightmares every other night.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sleep Disorders « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.