Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:44:07 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Phantasm « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Phantasm  (Read 69160 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 07, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »

Reader review by KYGOTC.  A young boy discovers that the local funeral home is filled with horror and mystery.  Flying metal spheres with drill attachments, a shapechanging Tall Man, and drums filled with killer Jawas are just the start of Michael's nightmare.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
cannibalholocaust
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »

Holy s**t! I can put up with a lot of things, but not this. Maybe you should start watching Hollywood s**t fest and give up pretending to be a B-movie fan. You have lost your mind.
Menard
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:11:18 PM »

Holy s**t! I can put up with a lot of things, but not this. Maybe you should start watching Hollywood s**t fest and give up pretending to be a B-movie fan. You have lost your mind.

I've been waiting for an intelligent response!

Unfortunately, that wasn't one.

What would you expect from somebody who uses a piece of s**t movie like Cannibal Holocaust for their name?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

KYGOTC,
I think you have a critic!   TongueOut
Didn't seem like he liked your review very much.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

Maybe you should start watching Hollywood s**t fest and give up pretending to be a B-movie fan.

Hmmm..."Hollywood s**t Fest". Don't think I've heard of that one, but it sounds promising. I'll youtube it and see if it's worth buying.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Menard
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »

Maybe you should start watching Hollywood s**t fest and give up pretending to be a B-movie fan.

Hmmm..."Hollywood s**t Fest". Don't think I've heard of that one, but it sounds promising. I'll youtube it and see if it's worth buying.

Good comeback  Thumbup
Solo Wing pixy
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »

I hated the fact that in this movie and all the sequels (haven't seen IV) that the Tall Man is COMPLETELY UNSTOPPABLE and ALWAYS pops up at the very end and those evil little gnomes grab whoever is left of the good guys at the end.

Oh well at least II had that great four-barreled shotgun that Reggie modified. It was pretty funny when he blew through four of those little jawa/ugnaut mutants away. Michael's flamethrower was kind of cool too, especially when he lit the fire place.

As frustrating as these movies are, they are sad because it seems the Tall Man just keeps winning in the end.
Cotexman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »

I'm going to guess you aren't a real big fan of surrealistic movies.  No worries, they aren't for everyone.  A movie called "Phantasm" isn't going to be a straight forward movie (or at least is shouldn't be).
Cotexman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:46 PM »

You will probably want to stay clear of the "Hollywood s**tfest."  I believe it involves multiple Richard Gear (I don't think I spelled his last name right) movies. 
Gravlax
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 01:16:20 AM »

I recall trying to watch this when it was shown on TV when I was a teenager in the 80s.   I mostly found it confusing and boring.  I fell asleep too!  I never saw enough of it to grasp what was supposed to be going on, except that it had to do with a tall creepy guy in a mortuary and something about another dimension.

I remember the commercials with the flying silver orbs, and I remember hearing how great it supposedly was, but I could never see what all the fuss was about.
Hoomi
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »

I saw this movie years ago when it was in the theaters.  The girl I was going out with liked scary movies, and the ad for this one said, "If this one doesn't scare you, you're already dead."

Yeah.

My first thought in the opening scene, when the girl stabs the guy after sex, was, "Substantial penalties for early withdrawal."  The movie wasn't scary at all, and would have been far better given the MST3K treatment.

It didn't make any better sense on the big screen, and to be honest, I kept wondering if I'd missed some important detail that would have melded it all together.  Your review pretty much mirrored my feelings from about 1979, and I've never bothered to watch it again to see if it gets better on the repeats.
Hoomi
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »

Oh; one other thing I did find entertaining in the movie.  The flying orb blood spurt caused me to bust up laughing in the theater, because it looked just like the blood spurting from the severed limbs of the Black Knight in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".  The only thing missing was the victim saying, "It's just a flesh wound.  I've been 'urt worse."

Jay the Magnificent
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »

about time somebody give an honest review of this crappy movie. the only explanation for the many "its great!" lines is mass psychosis
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »

KYGOTC and I have talked about Phantasm numerous times in the past.

Personally, it's a favorite of mine.  That being said, it obviously is not a film for everyone.  Hell, I despised it with a passion the first time I saw it.  Further viewings have opened numerous layers within the film for me, and it holds a special spot for me.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »

Yikes! Funny how some people get worked up when you don't like something that they do, especially movies. I've gotten into arguments with people numerous times because I said a few negative things about a film they enjoyed. The only time I become enraged is when someone says they don't like "Slither." I promptly jam my ovipositor down their throat and lay hundreds of eggs in their belly.  Wink

"Phantasm" is definitely not for all tastes. The first one is actually my least favorite (next to "OblIVion") but I respect it, own two copies of it (the MGM and Anchor Bay releases repspectively), and I've seen it quite a few times. It moves a bit too slowly, (ok, yeah I admit it, this flick drags in spots) but dang it, Coscarelli really knows how to build up a creepy, dreamlike atmosphere. Parts II and III were awesome in my opinion!

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Phantasm « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.