Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:53:45 AM
714508 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ed Wood's "Glen or Glenda?" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ed Wood's "Glen or Glenda?"  (Read 4105 times)
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 16, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »

My first and, till last night, only exposure to Wood's work was a CD of Plan 9 from Outer Space. Not a soundtrack, but the entire audio score, everything from music to effects to dialogue...to more dialogue...to tell me English was not Wood's first language.

I am fully convinced that, hype and irony aside, Wood likely was either the most cynically indifferent or maniacally inept filmmaker of his era.

This might be the one that gets an official badmovies.org format review from me, as it truly must be seen to be believed. There's  Lookingup bad, there's BounceGiggle, and then there's Buggedout bad...I only thought I understood the later.

I understood nothing.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »

Glen or Glenda was my first ed Wood Film.  While it's bad, for it's time it was quite groundbreaking in terms of what the film was about.  If the film was done today, it wouldn't have been as groundbreaking since cross dressing and sex changes are not taboo anymore like they were back then.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »

My gawd....astounding in it's weirdness. Even aside from the whole cross dressing business...what's with the buffalo?

Trivia time!
According to Richard Cremer's LUGOSI: the Man Behind the Cape, Bela refused to do the film unless his pay was raised from $500 to $1000 . And he didn't like the idea of the bubbling chemicals burning holes in his clothes or skin.

How did Bela keep a straight face with such nonsensical dialouge?
Small | Large
..."Bevare!"...dam straight...! BounceGiggle
Small | Large

...yet he does it like he's doing HAMLET! Great job,Bela!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:38:45 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »

This one was just painful for me to watch; not funny bad, not bad bad, just painful. The "psychological" monologue, going to ever greater lengths to "prove" that men wearing women's clothing are just normal, everyday people with offbeat fashion sense, was just sad. I really don't care what fetish a person has, as long as he or she or it doesn't try to shove it onto me and it isn't illegal. And I don't care all that much about the "legal" part. But to claim that anything that maybe 1-5% of the population does is "perfectly normal" is a quantitative lie; "Normal" is what a majority of the population does, believes, or holds true. Not being normal isn't wrong, and I'm not trying to make this into a moral judgment, but transvestitism is not normal, at least not in America at large, and no amount of insanely bad movie dialogue is going to make it so. I love Woods's feature films for the most part; they are horrendously entertaining, but this one hurt.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »

I love this movie, possibly as much as PLAN 9.  On the surface it's absurd and hilarious, but underneath the surface there's something touching and quixotic about Wood's naive plea for understanding.  It's unintentional tragicomedy.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 08:21:31 PM »

This movie was already strange...and then Satan shows up.

I'd like to see a remake with Eddie Izzard playing the Wood character.   TeddyR

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
InspectorDC
Dedicated Viewer

Man of low moral fiber

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:37:21 PM »

It lacks the flair of Plan 9 and Bride of the Monster, but it's probably his weirdest film and truly awful. But good on him for making a film about his fetish, and getting it released.
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »

The man invaded Guadalcanal wearing womens' silk undies, for goodness' sake!
A man among men, he worried about being shot in battle & being exposed --
I still love the angora sweater scene, where the ACTING TENSION BUILDS TO A RAGGED CLIMAX, and she . . . . THRUSTS the sweater at him --

Man, they just don't write 'em like that any more . . .

Ed Wood remains the top of my bell-curve, whereby I measure the enjoyability of any other bad movies.  If you like coming to this board, and you haven't already, you really should try and see his entire filmographic output.  Someone mentioned "Bride of The Monster" -- yeah, do that one next . . .

peter johnson
dennycrane

I have no idea what this means.
InspectorDC
Dedicated Viewer

Man of low moral fiber

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »

Man, they just don't write 'em like that any more . . .

They never made them like that apart from this one  Wink
Dr_Malavaqua
Dedicated Viewer

Blind & vengeful

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »

I can only concur with the 'pain' remark above...it hurts to watch it. This is one of the absolute worst movies I have ever laid my sticky hands on. 
Don't get me wrong RC, or anyone else, I love Bela, love Ed - but this movie made me cringe! I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that makes it so horrid, if it's the total lack of suspense or plot, or just the whole incomprehensible soup of random sh*t that it consists of! Buggedout
I do know a couple of things about it though; I have it my collection, I have only watched it once and that sometimes when the sheer morbid curiosity is about to make me watch it again, a big green dragon, with a slimy grin, pops up from nowhere and whispers: "DON'T F*CKING DO IT!"  Bluesad     

"...and there was much rejoicing!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:07:15 PM »

I can only concur with the 'pain' remark above...it hurts to watch it. This is one of the absolute worst movies I have ever laid my sticky hands on. 
Don't get me wrong RC, or anyone else, I love Bela, love Ed - but this movie made me cringe! I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that makes it so horrid, if it's the total lack of suspense or plot, or just the whole incomprehensible soup of random sh*t that it consists of! Buggedout
I do know a couple of things about it though; I have it my collection, I have only watched it once and that sometimes when the sheer morbid curiosity is about to make me watch it again, a big green dragon, with a slimy grin, pops up from nowhere and whispers: "DON'T F*CKING DO IT!"  Bluesad     

I'll let you in on a little secreat....after the dream sequence....I had to shut it off. I haven't been really able to get past the Glen or Glenda part....the other stories are still future horrors for me to endure....!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »

I'll let you in on a little secreat....after the dream sequence....I had to shut it off. I haven't been really able to get past the Glen or Glenda part....the other stories are still future horrors for me to endure....!

Phillistines!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Raffine

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »

Phillistines!

Thumbup
I was just going to say make sure you get the version that has all the bizarre footage of ladies in 50's lingerie rolling around, tying each other up, and being chased around by a guy dressed as a devil! The music for these sequences is great, too!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:23:38 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Dr_Malavaqua
Dedicated Viewer

Blind & vengeful

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »

Phillistines!

Thumbup
I was just going to say make sure you get the version that has all the bizarre footage of ladies in 50's lingerie rolling around, tying each other up, and being chased around by a guy dressed as a devil! The music for these sequences is great, too!

Oh I got that one.. - like a salt shaker to an open heart wound!!!   hot By the time that music started playing, my ears were allready filled with blood-so it was kinda' hard to make it out.. Wink
RCMerchant: You mean you are..      ..human, after all? Smile Hats off and a drink to that!  Thumbup Drink

"...and there was much rejoicing!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ed Wood's "Glen or Glenda?" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.