Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:50:01 AM
714520 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mean, Green Mutha From Outer Space!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mean, Green Mutha From Outer Space!!  (Read 1188 times)
Hairzilla
« on: March 07, 2002, 04:27:26 PM »

Ok, I'm already thinking that I'll be the only phorumer with a comment about this, but after catching the musical version of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS last night, which I think is a thoroughly fun movie to watch [Of course it is, it's an eighties flick!], I've gotta post something that goes through my mind every time I see this particular film: Intentional or not, the puppeteers succeeded brilliantly in making that plant subtly creepy! It still amazes me how they got it to move so smoothly at every given stage in it's size progression!

....And, just to be on the safe side, in the highly unlikely chance that anyone here hasn't seen this version at least once by now, I wouldn't read any further until you do. As Audrey 2 said: "Now go get it"!

Yes, this is the musical remake of the 1960 cult classic I'm talking about. And yes, it's played for laughs in a "black comedy" kinda way. But there are definite points during the movie that, if I were Seymour Krelborn, would've inspired me to do some serious pruning!.... Sud-den-ly Seeeymooour is here to DES-TROY YOOOOU! Heh heh heh heh....

The scene where Audrey 2 calls....uh, Audrey [1?] on the phone, and then she slowly turns to see the plant's massive, leering maw grinning at her from Mushnik's flower shop across the street is, I think, one of several genuinely eerie moments in this version of the film.

And although the final sequence was accompanied by a rousing number, the title of which works perfectly as the subject of this post, you've gotta feel for Seymour as he's trapped in a confined area with Audrey 2, which can either reach him, throw things at him, or bring things down around him no matter where he runs. The only worse scenario would be if the plant was Biollante'.

I've often wondered what a pontential sequel could've been like had the movie  ended with the alien plant triumphing. At that point Audrey 2 had brought down the flower shop, thus freeing itself from it's confinement, was obviously intelligent and, assumeably, was capable of mobility by then as well. Not to mention that it had a tremendous singing voice....

....I'm never becoming a botanist.....
Future Blob
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 11:33:34 AM »

Dude sure looks like plant food to me!

I LOVE that movie, it's about the only musical I like!

It would indeed have been interesting to see what Audrey 2's next move would have been, also given that she could affect the world around her in some mysterious way (i.e. making the shop popular). Audrey really made a plant-monster fun and a legit threat.
Pete B6K
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 02:17:17 PM »

Even when I see that film now the dentist still freaks me out a little.

I'm not sure which version I like, the Rick Moranis one or the time I saw it performed on stage by a bunch of 11 year olds when I was in primary school.
Hairzilla
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 03:17:52 PM »

Good additional point, Future Blob, about Audrey 2's seeming [and basically unexplained] ability to influence the world around it in order to accomplish it's ultimate goal! One has to wonder what sort of fiendish propaganda campaign it could've launched had it fallen into the hands of one Wink Wilkinson instead. Audrey 2 killed the ra-d-io star!
Lee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 03:42:26 PM »

LOL!!!!! This flick rocks! Audrey 2 is kinda creepy. But then, alot of the characters in this movie seem a little creepy. If I was in a dentist office and I saw my dentist acting like that I'd run like HELL!!!
Brian Ringler
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2002, 12:06:50 AM »

Anyone else caught the original ending.  I have the recalled dvd that has it for a special feature.  I find it interesting but not worth the sum you have to pay now that the dvd is out again only missing the alternate ending footage and the recalled version has become sort of a collector's item
Flangepart
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2002, 12:29:07 PM »

I realy like Steve Martin's part. The song "Dentist" is hard not sing. Hope ya never hear it on the musac during your next root canal! That Evil Elvis look was just too cool. Hey, Remember the Hollywood liberals complaining about the "Raceisim" in choosing a black singer for Audry , and saying "Well, the huge lips on the plant are so inappropriate". Huh? You don't think the singer realised that, and maby decided it would just ba a fun gig? He did great, its a singing space alien plant, so if he was cool with it, give it a rest, ya whiney libs! Sheesh! Is it just me, or does it seem some people are just too caught up in P.C. to just relax and have fun anymore?
Lee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2002, 04:13:13 PM »

No kidding Flangepart. I don't like racism, but it's rediculous that everytime a movie tries to be less serious and have some fun it gets busted for something stupid. I mean come on, people accussed Back To The Future of being racists because it showed Marty(who's white) creating rock and roll. I just wanted to tell these people to shut up! Just go to the movie and enjoy. Remember it's just entertainment, enjoy it.
Future Blob
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2002, 04:17:22 PM »

Hey! That's a bigoted remark! Audrey 2 is not a "space alien plant" she is a Plant-American! Your slur shows a clear prejudice against simple, hardworking folk who apparently should be harassed simply because they are green and happen to enjoy eating people....

About the voice though, I'm betting the singer had a great time. And let's face it, if it had been, I dunno, Barry Manilow  singing it would have lost something...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mean, Green Mutha From Outer Space!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.